The Hayabusa....a bike for the "ages"

Okay boys and girls.  I just celebrated my 48th birthday.  Which means I'm old enough to be the father of some of you youths!

I pulled into my garage the other night after a birthday celebration and looked at my beautiful hayabusa and couldn't believe it.  I'm 48 years old and driving a bike that goes nearly 200 mph and is driven usually by folks 20 years younger than I and goes from zero to 60 in 2.4 seconds.

My reflexes have slowed but are still lightning fast from kickboxing for many years.  My muscles are not as strong as they were but after two years and 13,000 miles (8000 of them in the last 6 months!!), I can say I'm finally comfortable on my busa.

My question to the wise (and perhaps older) folks of this board is.....at what point does one have to seriously consider that he's too old to drive the mighty busa?  I've seen lots of 60 and 70 year olds on Harleys and Goldwings but monkeys will fly out of my ass before I ride a Harley and I don't think my soul would sit well with a Gold Wing.  I guess I am asking, how many more years do I have on this freaking rocket???
Let me tell ya all a story
at Suzuki Of Cincinnati we had a customer I myself sold him over 100 motorcycles
His name was Raymond Kirtley
when he died he had 12 brand new Suzuki's
one he had just bought but was able to put 1150 miles on it in three days, folks he was 93 years old . The Day he bought the GSXR1100 Mr Suzuki himself was at the dealership
he congratulated Ray on his purchase, Ray was so proud to have met the Man as he said Of Mr. Suzuki
Ray also had a GSXR750 and several other katana's and the thing about Ray I asked him one Day Ray why buy so many bikes he goes Lannis your a good kid , but I have only a couple of nephews left he had oulived all the rest anyway he said they want nothing but my money, well they hate motorcycles and when I die I'm going to give them my Suzuki collection. This guy rode in both world wars as a messanger
in WW 1 he was the personal messenger for general perhsing
retired from post office and the rail road told me stories of snicking into the springfield mile he goes they raced that race on boards and would grin so big telling of getting to see that race , he couldn't pay to get in see he was black
not allowed, Ray was a super guy and he always paid cash
never ever bought a criuser. Im 45 now and remember my talks with Ray in fact I cherish all the stories and the rides together he'd say Lannie do one of them wheelies for me, he'd say you sure can ride  I miss Ray but he got to do what he loved till ninty three
plus put it to the ones trying to take him for his cash he spent almost all of it with me and my dad Gentleman Jim
In fact we bought the casket and plot over five hundred from cincinnati area came to funeral not one of his family was there
so big guy keep on keeping on

like the post before your just getting started

Lannie Settles
That's a cool story Lannie.

Well babuski, most has been said already, I can,t really add much. But I,m 41, will be 42 in March, and I,ve had my ol Blk and Blu 02 for a couple of years, and all I can say is, my Busa is my theropy, and I get a lot of (aren,t you to old for that bike) ####, and I always reply the same way. If you can pass me, I,ll get a cruiser! And guess what, I,ve not been passed yet!
smile.gif
So all I can tell you is, Happy Birthday, and ride the Busa as long as you want to.
wink.gif

I turned 44 on the first. I have a Roadstar and a RF900. I hope to someday have a Busa. I love the '03 copper LTD. I love having my cruiser and my sportbike. They are both very enjoyable. You get the best of both worlds. My dad rode up until he died at 65. Diabetes got him. I'm glad he died when he did for his sake. I don't think his health would have let him ride another season. That would have made his life a living hell. Or, he would have tried to ride and not come back someday. I hope we all can ride up to the time we die.

Cool story ... I'm 42 And haven't had a car since 92 . I ride daily and put 28000 on my 02 busa , got rearended a couple months ago . Now I got an 04 LE
smile.gif
. Your NEVER to old!!!!

All I know is that My generation will be sitting in the Old Folks Home, listening to Nine Inch Nails, Metallica or Fugging .50cent or some "old School" Dr. Dre, now that will be some funny stuff... [/QUOTE]

Dude (Rev), you b crackn me up.  
laugh.gif

All I gotta say is Ryde til ya die !

only 32, but plan to ride as long as I am able...still trying to get the wife on the back...kinda cool and windy down here as of late...just waiting on warmer weather!!
cool.gif

Chad

<span style='color:blue'></span> 2001 Blue Busa. I'm 44 and have been riding since I was 8 - starting with mini-bikes, a few cruisers, sport models, on-off road and finally, the "Mother Of All Spine-Snappers". I ride it almost every day, to and from work. I can't think of a better way to enjoy the commute to work.

Thanks boys and girls....I really have enjoyed this thread. Two years ago I promised the Mrs that I'd rent a bike on a few ocassions and maybe spend a few thousand on a used Kawasaki ninja. Then I read some of the posts on this board....laughed my ass off until 3 a.m reading the boards....a few weeks later I was pricing Busas....so much for those intial plans and renting a bike. I plan on driving this thing until they have to pry it from my cold dead hands.....

Okay boys and girls.  I just celebrated my 48th birthday.  Which means I'm old enough to be the father of some of you youths!

I pulled into my garage the other night after a birthday celebration and looked at my beautiful hayabusa and couldn't believe it.  I'm 48 years old and driving a bike that goes nearly 200 mph and is driven usually by folks 20 years younger than I and goes from zero to 60 in 2.4 seconds.

My reflexes have slowed but are still lightning fast from kickboxing for many years.  My muscles are not as strong as they were but after two years and 13,000 miles (8000 of them in the last 6 months!!), I can say I'm finally comfortable on my busa.

My question to the wise (and perhaps older) folks of this board is.....at what point does one have to seriously consider that he's too old to drive the mighty busa?  I've seen lots of 60 and 70 year olds on Harleys and Goldwings but monkeys will fly out of my ass before I ride a Harley and I don't think my soul would sit well with a Gold Wing.  I guess I am asking, how many more years do I have on this freaking rocket???
I'm 70 and last month I rode my 04 Busa down to Deals Gap and back Fri. to early Mon morning, 2200 miles in 3 1/2 days, so you see it's possible, and 2 years ago I paddled my sea kayak from Point Judith RI to Block IS, do I hurt? you betcha, but the fun and rush make up for it. Keep on going and forget how old you are.

Happy Birthday! Age is not the limiter in life, its the way you look at life that limits you. If you look life right in the eye, squint just a little, look over at the Busa, and say" Wanna race?". Life will leave you alone everytime. Ride like you stole her, but always put her to bed happy.

i am really glad that there are people your age still riding! i love your passions for bikes and am sad that any of my parents couldn't accept/share my passion for bikes. i am 24 now, i love my busa although i have it a whole year and never want to be seperated from it. i hope i am alive until i reach your age and have the same energy/passion like you guys! happy birthday btw!

gosh, yall are frikken' old!

haha.. makes me feel really young to be onlyh 27 in this crowd.. yall don't forget you heart meds tonight!

lmao, just joshin' ya.

Back