The difference a decision can make

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Guilty verdict handed down in Dragus case

After more than two hours of deliberation today, an Oklahoma County jury found Kyle Wayne Grider guilty of second-degree murder and aggravated eluding a police officer.

The jury recommended a 45-year sentence for the murder charge and five years for the eluding charge.

Grider, 23, is accused of causing the death of Oklahoma City police Sgt. Jonathan Dragus. Grider led police on a high-speed chase on Oct. 20, 2005, which later led to a wreck in which Dragus was killed.

The seven-man, five-woman jury began deliberating about 4:15 p.m.

Prosecutors contend Grider is responsible for the crash because he chose to run when Dragus tried to pull him over for driving a stolen motorcycle.

"It's as a result of his choices that a policeman is killed,â€￾ Assistant District Attorney Steve Deutsch said, pointing at Grider. "There is no question, under the law, that he is responsible.â€￾

Grider faces up to life in prison if convicted of second-degree murder. Eluding a police officer carries a sentence of up to five years in prison.

Today's closing arguments came after more than 30 witnesses described Grider's decision to run from police, a chase that crossed much of Oklahoma City, the wreck that killed Dragus and the ensuing manhunt for the man who had been on the motorcycle

While I don't agree with the mans actions (He shouldn't have broken the law in the first place), I don't see it as his fault for the police Officers Death... It was his choice to pursue...

(yamahor @ Jan. 26 2007,23:48) While I don't agree with the mans actions (He shouldn't have broken the law in the first place), I don't see it as his fault for the police Officers Death... It was his choice to pursue...
+1 I would'nt chase a bike even on a bike!

I don't know the details of this case...but why chase a motorcycle
rock.gif

I know that he broke the law, but a high speed pursuit is a VERY dangerous thing for the officer and the community.

(yamahor @ Jan. 26 2007,20:48) While I don't agree with the mans actions (He shouldn't have broken the law in the first place), I don't see it as his fault for the police Officers Death... It was his choice to pursue...
Every Officer is sworn to uphold the law and the peace. This is normally done by a Judge and with your hand on the Bible. He was doing his job in the eyes of 12 jurors. I don't know the case, but the twelve were seated for the entire trial. The Officer obviously wasn't there to comment.

An Officer has the ability in certain circumstances to take the life of a fleeing felon.

I don't personally chase bikes or kids, but given the right circumstances I might some day.

My thoughts are with the Officer and his Family.

Just seems like a stretch to me. With all the tools now available (radio, helicopters etc.) perhaps it time to rethink the high speed pursuit protocol. Innocent civilians are paying the price....and for what crime? Speeding?

More

He winced when the judge read the guilty verdicts, but otherwise remained impassive as several of his family members tried to muffle their sobs after learning of the 45-year sentence handed down by an Oklahoma County jury.

Grider, 23, was convicted Friday of causing a wreck that killed Oklahoma City police Sgt. Jonathan Dragus in October 2005.

The Oklahoma County jury that heard his case deliberated for about 2 1/2 hours before finding Grider guilty of second-degree murder and aggravated eluding a police officer.

Widow Kelly Dragus, a police officer like her husband, tearfully thanked jurors after their verdict.

She assured the seven-man, five-woman panel her husband knew the risks of his job.

"He loved his job and he did it very, very well,â€￾ she said.

Oklahoma City Police Chief Bill Citty thanked the jurors, as well. "You've done a great service to this community,â€￾ Citty said.

Grider was riding a stolen motorcycle Oct. 20, 2005, when Dragus tried to pull him over. Grider fled, leading police on a high-speed chase that abruptly ended when Dragus lost control of his car near Northwest Expressway and Pennsylvania Avenue and crashed into a tree.

Dragus died a short time later from head injuries, while Grider eluded capture for more than 18 hours before surrendering.

Formal sentencing is Feb. 9.

His trial lasted all week, as more than 30 witnesses detailed the chase, the crash and the ensuing manhunt.

It drew a large number of police officers — many in dress uniforms — to the courthouse, filling half of District Judge Virgil C. Black's courtroom by the time closing arguments began Friday afternoon.

Prosecutors described Grider as a cowardly, irresponsible drug user who only cares about himself.

"There is no question that he — and he alone — is responsible for the death of Jonathan Dragus,â€￾ Assistant District Attorney Steve Deutsch said, pointing at Grider.

Deutsch said Grider could have ended the chase at any time and Dragus still would be alive.

He said Grider's decision to run, fleeing at "break-neck speedsâ€￾ through neighborhoods, was the only reason Dragus was at Northwest Expressway and Pennsylvania Avenue, far outside his patrol area.

"Sgt. Dragus did nothing wrong. In fact, he did everything right,â€￾ Deutsch said. "He was doing what you wanted him to do. He was chasing a thief.â€￾

Deutsch said Grider ran from police because he didn't want to go to jail.

"It's all about him. He's not gonna get caught. He's not gonna go to jail,â€￾ he said. "That's the kind of man he is.â€￾

Deutsch said Grider's disregard for the law was obvious, noting testimony he flashed an obscene gesture at another police officer shortly after the chase began.

"Today with the other finger (Grider and his attorneys) want to sit and point the finger at Roddey Peebles,â€￾ he said.

Peebles, who was at the intersection when Dragus crashed, was the one who defense attorneys blamed for the wreck.

Who's to blame
Attorney Charles Cox argued police focused on Grider after the crash, ignoring Peebles' role.
He maintained Peebles pulled into the intersection before a flood of police cars came through in pursuit of Grider. That forced Dragus to swerve, sending his car into an uncontrollable spin that ended only when it crashed into a tree south of Penn Square Mall.

"The dynamics of the crash suggest there had to be a cause for the swerving,â€￾ Cox said. "It was Roddey Peebles' vehicle that was in that intersection.â€￾

Cox said Grider was guilty of running from police, but not murder.

"In this particular situation, no one took Sgt. Dragus' life,â€￾ he said. "He died in a car wreck.â€￾

Cox said Oklahoma law does not support a murder conviction in this case because prosecutors allege Dragus died while Grider was committing unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, an offense that had nothing to do with the officer's death.

In testimony Friday, the officer who investigated Dragus' crash said it would have been impossible for two officers to swerve to the right to avoid Peebles' pickup, as they testified earlier this week.

If they had, Sgt. Mark Sexton said Friday, they would have ended up in the same kind of uncontrollable spin as Dragus.

"It's physically impossible,â€￾ Sexton said. "You can't make that lane change at 103 mph.â€￾

Sexton said Dragus crashed when he abruptly moved his car to the left, causing him to lose control and spin into a street sign and light pole before crashing into a tree.

He said Dragus was driving so fast — between 72 mph and 108 mph — that there was no way he could control the spin.

"He basically became a passenger in his own vehicle,â€￾ Sexton said.

Sexton concluded Peebles had nothing to do with the crash.

"(Dragus) made an abrupt maneuver he couldn't perform,â€￾ he said. "It didn't matter where the other truck was.â€￾

I don't like decisions like this.

Even though the guy running is scum, he isn't guilty of murder in my opinion. He's guilty of many other crimes, but not murder.

If I(civilian) had died out there because of that chase, you can rest assured there wouldn't be any murder charge or conviction. The ONLY reason he's guilty of murder is because the victim is a cop.

if i was a police officer, i would not chase a bike 90 percent of the time. its just going to lead to worse trouble, of course circumstances could change such as the guy on the bike just murdered someone, etc... then i would chase.

(dadofthree @ Jan. 26 2007,21:09)
(yamahor @ Jan. 26 2007,20:48) While I don't agree with the mans actions (He shouldn't have broken the law in the first place), I don't see it as his fault for the police Officers Death... It was his choice to pursue...
Every Officer is sworn to uphold the law and the peace. This is normally done by a Judge and with your hand on the Bible. He was doing his job in the eyes of 12 jurors. I don't know the case, but the twelve were seated for the entire trial. The Officer obviously wasn't there to comment.

An Officer has the ability in certain circumstances to take the life of a fleeing felon.

I don't personally chase bikes or kids, but given the right circumstances I might some day.

My thoughts are with the Officer and his Family.
My thought and prayers are with the men and women in blue in OK and throughout the world when a bretheren goes down. Law enforcement is a tough occupation in which your every action is scrutinized and second guessed. It concerns me that I've read many posts and news articles in which someone has been riped off or had their bike stolen and the victim can only "wish" for 5 minutes alone with the perp. Here, the officer was attempting to bring the perp to justice and should be applauded and whatever or whoever caused the officer to make those life threatening decisions should be punished accordingly. If you think the decision was wrong, then next time you need to call a cop, just tell the dispatch to take their time in responding. (A good friend is LE, so I hear it all the time).

Stepping of the soapbox now.
pissed.gif

WHAT.... He is guilty of murder! If it were not for his own actions the officer in question would not be dead. HE chose to not obey the law when HE stole the bike. HE chose to break the law by not pulling over and ending the chase. He chose through his reckless actions to endanger the lives of not only the PD but of every Law abiding citizen on the street that day! Hell, I bet He probably has a string of other crimes that he never got caught for and now we say the cop shouldn't have done his job. Are you kidding me? What if this scum had hit another motorist while fleeing? Better yet what if HE killed one of your relatives in his attempt to evade being caught? Would that be a murder  on his part or just an accident? When someone makes the personal decision to NOT obey the law then they should suffer the consequences. In this case the message conveyed to criminals is you can't run to avoid being caught and if you chose to do this YOU will be held responsible for any and all accidents, deaths, mayhem you might cause in the commission of your crime! To me this is no different than a DUI or drunk driver killing someone will operating a vehicle under the influence... I get really tired of the other side making excuses for their stupidity all while trying to pin the blame for their actions on someone or something else!
HANG HIM HIGH I HAVE NO SYMPATHY FOR THIS INDIVIDUAL...

(ks-waterbug @ Jan. 27 2007,08:52) WHAT.... He is guilty of murder! If it were not for his own actions the officer in question would not be dead. HE chose to not obey the law when HE stole the bike. HE chose to break the law by not pulling over and ending the chase. He chose through his reckless actions to endanger the lives of not only the PD but of every Law abiding citizen on the street that day! Hell, I bet He probably has a string of other crimes that he never got caught for and now we say the cop shouldn't have done his job. Are you kidding me? What if this scum had hit another motorist while fleeing? Better yet what if HE killed one of your relatives in his attempt to evade being caught? Would that be a murder  on his part or just an accident? When someone makes the personal decision to NOT obey the law then they should suffer the consequences. In this case the message conveyed to criminals is you can't run to avoid being caught and if you chose to do this YOU will be held responsible for any and all accidents, deaths, mayhem you might cause in the commission of your crime! To me this is no different than a DUI or drunk driver killing someone will operating a vehicle under the influence... I get really tired of the other side making excuses for their stupidity all while trying to pin the blame for their actions on someone or something else!
HANG HIM HIGH I HAVE NO SYMPATHY FOR THIS INDIVIDUAL...
I think Bug has hit it right on the head. Excellent points!

how can they prove he even knew the cop was behind him? was it an ongoing chase where he was seen looking back, making wild turns, etc?
i, a friend of mine, and a member here all have been to the grey bar motel for running, despite the fact we didnt know the po-po was back there.
if i missed some facts that i queried so solly....

(craigntx @ Jan. 27 2007,12:17) how can they prove he even knew the cop was behind him? was it an ongoing chase where he was seen looking back, making wild turns, etc?
i, a friend of mine, and a member here all have been to the grey bar motel for running, despite the fact we didnt know the po-po was back there.
if i missed some facts that i queried so solly....
I'm sure if that were the case, the defencse atty. would have brought that point up. What bugs me here is that he was trying to say that the guy running wasnt responsible for the death, but the innocent guy "peeples" driving down the road is. What a joke. I'm with ya Kansas, Hang em high.

(Charlesbusa @ Jan. 27 2007,01:29) I don't like decisions like this.

Even though the guy running is scum, he isn't guilty of murder in my opinion.  He's guilty of many other crimes, but not murder.

If I(civilian) had died out there because of that chase, you can rest assured there wouldn't be any murder charge or conviction.  The ONLY reason he's guilty of murder is because the victim is a cop.
You will get the same treatment if someone you are "racing" against on the street crashes and dies/injures themselves. You are responsible.

Back