The Confessional: What can we learn from others?

Scar

Seasoned Pilot
Donating Member
Registered
Brothers and Sisters:

This thread is launched as a place for us to share our road stories which may help others learn from our mistakes.

Your own stories can be from any motorcycling experience you've had, whether it ended well or badly.

I'm going to start (just to set the stage) with an event from this weekend.

Please be as descript as possible and wrap the tale with what you personally learned from your experience.

In advance, thanks for sharing!

This story is posted in another thread which gave me the idea to launch this whole new subject...some of you have already read it.

OK, I have to 'fess-up.

Yesterday, while shredding up one of my ever-spectacular, most-favored mountainside roads, four friends and I came upon a cage, creeping excruciatingly slowly up the hill (probably going something like the speed limit or something).

Anyway, as you all know, the 'busa can dispose of such a nuisance in no time flat...so at the first opportunity, I passed said cage...over the DYL (double yellow line). Now, I don't know about where you are from, but here, that's cite-able activity.

Just as I apexed my amazing maneuver, I see three Sheriff's vehicles with their assigned uniformed humanoids standing at an overlook chatting. Well, they looked long and hard at me as I finished making my mistake, at which time I continued up the hill.

One friend, sweeping, told me on the chatterbox that they were coming after me. All three of them.

So, I spanked it up the hill a ways, pulled a 180, and veered into another viewing area; at the same time telling the rest of the group to continue up the hill...DO NOT STOP HERE!!! I took my helmet off, grabbed my camera, moved to the other side of the bike, in my (probably feeble) attempt to look like I'd been there for hours.

Well, the Sheriff's vehicles went by me and I felt very sly. Heart pounding in fear, but at the same time, sly. Not smug; sly.

The LEOs followed my friends up to the top of the hill where they proceded to verbally address them.

I waited at my 'lookout' for about 15 minutes, then went up hill, ever so gingerly, almost willing the throttle to move...afraid to actually touch it myself.

As I rounded a corner, the LEOs were headed together back down the hill. I crested the mountaintop to see my friends waiting for me in a parking lot.

We went to the little mountain town and had lunch, then turned around and came back to the city.

I am not proud of this activity, and I do not condone it. I should have made sure there weren't any witnesses to my mistake. In continuing explanation, I also offer that this was a completely safe pass.

I had a cop stop and yell at me on the side of the road once and I wasn't even riding :) He insisted that he had chased me down the hill at Yarnell in AZ, i asked him to show me on his camera. He got even madder, were you in AZ when that happened Scar?

I had a cop stop and yell at me on the side of the road once and I wasn't even riding :) He insisted that he had chased me down the hill at Yarnell in AZ, i asked him to show me on his camera. He got even madder, were you in AZ when that happened Scar?

Nope. Good thing, too...I hear the LEOs in AZ are feirce. They've got some pretty strict rules over there.

Ahhh. This is where it is!

So once upon a time when I was in San Diego still. I was on my way home from Coronado to El Cajon. Going down the 8 East at about 80 mph (which is the norm) on my GSXR-600, when 4 guys on R1's rolled up fast from behind. I gave a polite wave as they slowed next to me. The front guy waved me into the back of the group so I joined in. Being a newbie I was rather excited to join some other riders on the road.

The pace picked up to about 90, so we were passing traffic. As we hit the edge of El Cajon traffic disappeared. Then I saw the Highway patrol guy sitting on the shoulder. He was writing a ticket for someone, not really watching the road.

I figured we would slow up, get by him, then pick it back up. I was incorrect.

The guy up front moved to the right lane and the rest of us followed. Then they ripped into it. By the time we passed the CHiP we were well into triple digits. As I looked into the mirror I saw lights coming on and dust/smoke from the side of the highway.

I knew that I didn't wanna be there if these guys were caught up to, so I dove out at the next exit and did the surface streets home.

Peer pressure... I know, I know, I shouldn't have blasted by, but my thought process was - If I slow down, I will be the first one he sees. I don't want to take the beating for them. Not the right thing to do, but the choice I made.

I will go to my corner :whistle:

:moon: :kissass: Hi, Jeff!

I'm really glad to hear that you didn't let the moment get the best of you. Otherwise, the LEOs would have :director: at you to pull over and step away from the bike...What you're doing is a serious :nono:

Then, your cell-mates would say :corner: , NOW and :moon: so they could have their way with you. Way.

Sorry, I don't mean to :deadhorse:, but I'm glad you did everyting just the way you did. You displayed maturity after you realized where your errant ways were taking you.

:beerchug:

PS: I'm glad I'm not the only imperfect one here! :whistle: (Just kidding peeps...I know you'll come out of the closet once the confession snowball starts rollin'.)

:moon:

Hey now wait a minute. I posted mine jsut before you posted yours.

Oh, that's right. I STOPPED adn waited for it, I mean him to catch up to me. So I guess I am not a BAD boy after all. Sorry.

LMAO

Hey now wait a minute. I posted mine jsut before you posted yours.

Oh, that's right. I STOPPED adn waited for it, I mean him to catch up to me. So I guess I am not a BAD boy after all. Sorry.

LMAO
I wasn't gonna be the one to take the beating on that. The lead guy buzzed him at over 140. I may not have been going as fast, but I would have been hauled in for being with em. No jailz for mez :laugh:

Back