If you are unregistered user/guest...

IG.

Registered
Not a lot of new threads lately. As I look at the bottom of the screen, I see a very revealing picture. A handful of registered users are online, and a huge number of guests/unregistered users as you can see from the screen shot below. Anywhere from 15 times, 20 times, or even 30 times exceeding the number of registered users.

hayabusa_org_screen_shot2.jpg

And I am thinking to myself that our collective experience would be so much richer if all of you guys shared your experiences and knowledge.

I understand there may be a number of reasons to simply read the posts, and not actively participate. Maybe you are just not used to communicating with others online, maybe you are shy by nature, maybe you think your English is not so good, maybe you feel that you cannot bring anything of value, etc. You are so wrong! I can assure you that even things which you feel are trivial to you, may be of interest to other people.

I was in a very similar situation as you are right now: new rider, a bit shy, not so good English, not sure how others will react. But I felt that in the long run, only through communication with others could I learn something, and make my own life richer. Heck, I dug out my very first post on this board, and here it is.

Click on the link below:
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/5526-new-member-question.html

I learned so much here, benefiting from this vast collective knowledge. There is always someone who can help with an issue, or simply give you an advice, maybe share similar experience. Please understand that the virtual world of the Internet didn't change our human nature. Behind ever post, every phrase, and every word there is a humble human soul which sometimes longs for communication, sharing experiences, making a joke, or finding new friends.

Actively participating in such exchange of thoughts, ideas, and experiences goes far beyond a chit-chat prevailing on Twitter and Facebook. It is the deepness and thoughtfulness of the process. We are not in a rush to blurt out an answer. It is a rather calm (although at times heated) conversation which may take minutes, hours, days, and even weeks. Some threads live on for years!

I know many of you thought so many times about it, and were about to register and participate, but that little doubt in your mind always stops you at the last moment.

I can tell you one thing: always follow your first impulse. I am talking about that subtle thought which enters your mind completely unprovoked, stays there for a few seconds, and if not acted upon vanishes as quickly as it appeared. I will tell you a secret... It is never a coincidence, but a hint from above gently guiding you through your life experiences. Learn to recognize them, and follow without much of a thought. If you start thinking too hard about it, it ruins everything and only seeds a doubt which prevents you from acting upon it.

Find that little bit of extra strength to jump over that invisible barrier. You won't be sorry you did.

Why am I writing about it, all of a sudden? I had an impulse to do so, and simply wrote what I felt without holding back.

Cheers! :beerchug:

Well, that sure does make me feel bad for not ever getting my first post out of the way.
I'll admit, I've been a lurker for at least five years. Finally joined earlier this year and just haven't brought myself to post anything yet.

Anyways, I'll share a short story about my first bike, a hayabusa, if you don't mind OP...

Way back when I was a just learning how to drive cars some relatives of mine decided to open a motorcycle/atv dealership. This was also about the time my dad said I should get a job. So, being raised in small town MS I had never been around bikes. I was in love with the busa from day 1.
Fast forward ten years to 2011 and I'm back a the store looking for a new four-wheeler to ride with all my buddies. Well, they had a white 2011 busa sitting in the front that just kept my attention.
At this point I realized something. It's now or never. So I asked how hard it would be learn to ride (I had Never been on a bike before) and my cousin said it would be easy and that as long as I was smart about it I would be fine. A few hours later I was sitting on it in my driveway trying to figure out how to get it in he garage without killing myself. I also had the biggest smile ever.
Nearly 2 and half years and 16000 miles later it was probably one the best decisions I've ever made.

Anyways. Sorry for the thread jack and long post. Just felt I should share ;)

Well, that sure does make me feel bad for not ever getting my first post out of the way.
I'll admit, I've been a lurker for at least five years. Finally joined earlier this year and just haven't brought myself to post anything yet.

Anyways, I'll share a short story about my first bike, a hayabusa, if you don't mind OP...

Way back when I was a just learning how to drive cars some relatives of mine decided to open a motorcycle/atv dealership. This was also about the time my dad said I should get a job. So, being raised in small town MS I had never been around bikes. I was in love with the busa from day 1.
Fast forward ten years to 2011 and I'm back a the store looking for a new four-wheeler to ride with all my buddies. Well, they had a white 2011 busa sitting in the front that just kept my attention.
At this point I realized something. It's now or never. So I asked how hard it would be learn to ride (I had Never been on a bike before) and my cousin said it would be easy and that as long as I was smart about it I would be fine. A few hours later I was sitting on it in my driveway trying to figure out how to get it in he garage without killing myself. I also had the biggest smile ever.
Nearly 2 and half years and 16000 miles later it was probably one the best decisions I've ever made.

:welcome: to the oRg :thumbsup: after 5 years. You're only an hour north :poke:

vb counts users in an odd way. I have a small forum that only has around 100 active registered members visit per day.

Right now it says:

Currently Active Users: 121 (13 members and 101 guests and 7 Spiders)

I didn't look at the code, but if I had to guess: Users who aren't logged in are recorded as a new visitor for every page view, so 20 unregistered members hitting 5 pages each = 100 "guests"

No need to apologize - it's quite the opposite. This is a great story, and an excellent example of how one's life can take an amazing turn. Very few people dare to get a Hayabusa as a first bike, and every other rider here would tell you that it would be a bad idea as it is so easy to get hurt. But despite all the odds, what you felt at the dealership on that day was no coincidence, but something very profound, the kind of "impulse" I was talking about. This is an amazing story, and thank you for sharing it with us!

:thumbsup: :welcome:

As I posted my response, I realized that my story was very similar to yours. I've never rode a bike in my life, and have always looked at those crazies on sportbikes as a bunch of annoying buzzers waking me up in the middle of the night (I used to live close to a highway). So, at the age of 40, one day I got a call from PAL (Police Activity League), asking to subscribe to a couple of magazines so that proceeds go to kids. Well, who doesn't want to help kids, so I say what magazines do you guys have? The person on the other end started reading to me something along the lines: Home Décor, Health, Motorcyclist, Fitness, Sport Rider, and a bunch of others. The only two magazines that I knew I would remotely be interested in were Motorcyclist and Sport Rider. So, I've been reading them all summer of 2001, and by Fall I came to a startling realization. I told my wife: Honey, I want to ride. So, I got used Katana 600. Of course, I've been reading about Haybusa, and I knew right away I wanted one, but knew better than that, and rode my Kat for a couple of years before I finally got a used '01.

vb counts users in an odd way. I have a small forum that only has around 100 active registered members visit per day.

Right now it says:

Currently Active Users: 121 (13 members and 101 guests and 7 Spiders)

I didn't look at the code, but if I had to guess: Users who aren't logged in are recorded as a new visitor for every page view, so 20 unregistered members hitting 5 pages each = 100 "guests"

This is very interesting. You don't think it tracks user's IP at the least to avoid duplicate count, do you?

No need to apologize - it's quite the opposite. This is a great story, and an excellent example of how one's life can take an amazing turn. Very few people dare to get a Hayabusa as a first bike, and every other rider here would tell you that it would be a bad idea as it is so easy to get hurt. But despite all the odds, what you felt at the dealership on that day was no coincidence, but something very profound, the kind of "impulse" I was talking about. This is an amazing story, and thank you for sharing it with us!

:thumbsup: :welcome:

As I posted my response, I realized that my story was very similar to yours. I've never rode a bike in my life, and have always looked at those crazies on sportbikes as a bunch of annoying buzzers waking me up in the middle of the night (I used to live close to a highway). So, at the age of 40, one day I got a call from PAL (Police Activity League), asking to subscribe to a couple of magazines so that proceeds go to kids. Well, who doesn't want to help kids, so I say what magazines do you guys have? The person on the other end started reading to me something along the lines: Home Décor, Health, Motorcyclist, Fitness, Sport Rider, and a bunch of others. The only two magazines that I knew I would remotely be interested in were Motorcyclist and Sport Rider. So, I've been reading them all summer of 2001, and by Fall I came to a startling realization. I told my wife: Honey, I want to ride. So, I got used Katana 600. Of course, I've been reading about Haybusa, and I knew right away I wanted one, but knew better than that, and rode my Kat for a couple of years before I finally got a used '01.

That wasn't by chance a red 1990 katana was it. I did the exact same thing. for years I always found excuses to not get in to riding. one day I decided to stop getting in my own way and just do it. 2 weeks later I had a license and a used katana that I rode for 1 year and found an amazing deal on my 01 busa and have had a perpetual grin on my face ever since. nice to see I was t the only one.
on a side note, if English is not your native language you certainly picked it up very well. correct punctuation and proper sentence structure, so very rare on the Internet these days.

No, mine was teal, and I actually loved that color. It was '96 model. We spent quality 25k miles before I sold her to a younger guy, and even had to ride her to his house because he was afraid.

Thank you for your compliment regarding the language. It was a steady progress over the years, partly due to my love for writing and always trying to perfect whatever I was trying to communicate. Posting here helped immensely because I was exposed to so many different styles, expressions, topics, arguments... in short, I was constantly getting the taste of different sides of the language, and I wasn't just reading, but oftentimes was a direct participant. I am also convinced that a precisely communicated thought reaches another person's heart, and that makes it all worthwhile.

Great post. Took me a week to realize how much in common I had with everyone and joined. It has been great and I love being part of the crew. Come on in, pull up a stool and join this great forum.

Great decisions, Montana_Busa! Tell us more about your high speed runs. You are in Montana, right?:thumbsup:

Back