The Bug got bit.... 1 in a billion I'm sure

ks-waterbug

Group Buy Guy
Donating Member
Registered
Well finally doing/feeling better after one very long roller coaster of a ride! On May 18th I was coming back from Kansas on my busa when about 1 hr into my ride I ran over a snake. Yep and he wasn't happy about it either in fact he bit me. Now what da bug didn't know at the time was this wasn't just your average grass loving creepy crawly. Nope, I had to find myself a Copperhead.... So I know what your thinking and I've ran it over and over in my head as well. How/why did I hit a snake. All I can come up with is that my mind was off in la la land, enjoying the ride, the scenery, and just plain not focused on the details of the road. Needless to say I wound up in the hospital for observation and treatment of what had now become the size of a pumpkin, my foot! Lucky for me I had full gear on at the time of the incident and the little critter only got me with one fang. I wasn't sure if I'd be healed up in time for the journey to Eureka Springs this week but through prayer and modern medicine I'm planning on attending. There are no visible scars or evidence of this unfortunate event left on my foot/leg and honestly I'm very thankful for that... So, next time you saddle up for some highway time watch out for our slithering friends.

OMG, I am very sorry to hear this KS-Waterbug. My father lives/rides in Oro Valley AZ and I have to say this is one of his biggest fears with the abundent rattle snake population in his area. I cannot imagine the intense pain of a body part swelling that bad. I guess we all have one more great reason to be glad for full gear as it apparently can limit snake bite access... I am looking forward to meeting you in Eureka and hearing more about your snake event.

Again, glad you are healed up and OK.

Wow, was patrolling a project the other night, small children everywhere and ran a small rattlesnake over, about two feet in length. I heard it hit the car. Circled around for second pass and saw that it was biting the area where the tire made contact.

Glad you're up to a trip, and I pray you'll enjoy a full recovery.

Wow. Glad you are doing better. Copper heads are mean suckers.

Made me think of the AR trip when Semi kicked the snake and scared the crappers out of CApn.:laugh:

Glad you are OK - hope you heal completely and have no issues later on.

I really hope your right and it's one in a billion. :laugh:
No one should have to go through that.

I also know how easy it is to let you mind enjoy all the scenery.
Snakes are pretty small by comparison.

Note to self - if I ever have to run one over - AIM FOR THE HEAD. :firing:

Glad to hear you are doing alright. Just shows how fast a snakes move is. You should have been speeding more, then he might have missed your foot. Wish I could up there this weekend, just too much going on right now. Maybe this fall, it would be nice to see everyone again. Check your front tire before going. :whistle: :rofl:

One in a billion, that's for sure. Wishing you a quick recovery.

Something I don't get. How the snake had time to bite if the bike is moving at speed? Wouldn't it miss you? Or were you moving very slowly?

The snake didn't know where the motorcycle left off and where the rider began, he just bit at what hit him. It was just luck that he hit you. (His good luck or your bad luck) Once a long time ago I ran over a snake, here in Florida, he bit at the bike and got his head into the rear wheel. That made quite a mess to clean up, but this time it was just my good luck that kept the same thing from happening to me. I'm sure glad that you're getting well.

One in a billion, that's for sure. Wishing you a quick recovery.

Something I don't get. How the snake had time to bite if the bike is moving at speed? Wouldn't it miss you? Or were you moving very slowly?

Roughly 70 mph.... go figure

Wow! I would've never imagined that a snake could be so quick. Just wow!

At 70 mph, the bike moves at about 100 ft/sec. I just measured the distance between the front's contact patch and the footpeg - about 3.5 ft, which the bike covers in about 0.03 sec at that speed. That's how fast the snake reacted. Holy cow!

holy pumpkin foot batman. what freakin luck. im sorry that this happened to you.
maybe you need some 20 eye docs to protect them feet?
never know whats gonna attack ya. got jumped by a prairie dog myself earlier this evening. :beerchug:
glad ya didn't loose toe.

That's crazy! Really glad you're alright, but I'm sure it was a painful time. I saw a Timber Rattler crossing the road just a few days ago. Makes you wonder...

Glad to hear you are recovering. That is certainly freak occurence, how the snake could react so fast and hit you as its target at 70 MPH. I HATE snakes, freak me out completely!!

A copperhead can strike an object in fractions of a second with deadly accuracy even from a couple of feet away. You should watch some of the youtube videos.

The only predator known to be faster on the strike, is my wife snatching my wallet when she finds out there's cash in it. You can't even see it. I have to film her at 1000 frames per second in slow motion to actually catch the money disappearing. And trust me, when you get to work and open your wallet to find it empty, you have the same feeling as being bitten by a copperhead. Nausea, dizziness, disorientation, and a sharp pain where your hard earned cash used to be.

Hope you heal up quickly.

sorry this happened to you and hope you finish healing up very soon! sorry you couldn't make it this weekend, was really looking forward to seeing and riding with you again :beerchug:

That is probably the freakiest bike vs animal story I have ever heard. Glad you made out OK Bro.

Rubb.

Back