That time of year again...

HT_USMC

Registered
These are the same reminders that have been posted before but it's good to remind each other of the hazards we face as the weather changes.

1. Remember tires will take longer to warm in cold weather. Go easy a little bit further than normal and let the rubber warm up.

2. Leaves from the trees are falling or have fallen. They are hazard enough - treat them with care. Add the moisture they collect and can maintain, they can be very slick. Again, avoid them if you can, watch for them in your corners and don't be over confident around them.

3. Street snakes (tar stripes on the roadway) and painted lines are more slick during the fall and winter months. Easy does it especially at the lights or in stop and go traffic.

4. Check your visor to see how it handles cold weather/fogging. There are several products and home-remedies that can help combat fogging. In a pinch, spit works smeared lightly over the surface. Another method is mildly soapy water (Dawn is recommended I believe) wiped on the inside surface. This also may be a good time of year to buy a new visor (each year) to ensure the coating is good prior to the cold months.

5. Let your scooter warm up a bit longer before taking off - your engine will thank you.

6. Good glover liners or glover warmers are priceless. You need to feel the road to ride your ride.

7. Layers are your friend but make sure you're able to move freely after application of said layers.

8. Make sure if your riding in the cold to drink plenty of fluids... you can dehydrate FASTER in the cold when trying to stay warm than you might in warm weather trying to stay cool.

9. Remember, it's getting dark earlier for most of us. This may mean you need to pack both a tinted visor and a clear visor if you're commuting or riding late in the day.

That's all I can think of right off. Add yours to the list.

I have one that is not bike related,

Don't forget to change the batteries in your smoke/fire alarm as well as your CO detector!

Good stuff !! THANKS, CAN'T EVER BE TOO CAREFULL !!
beerchug.gif

Used to ride my CBR XX through the michigan winters all the time. Not through the snow but if the roads were fairly dry and atleast 30-35 degrees i'd be good for about 3 hours or so. I wore full leathers, boots and thinsulate gauntlet gloves and a few times throw the teknic rain suit over them as a extra layer but mostly the leathers were the top layer. For keeping warm it was long underware and thick high top socks for the legs. A thin turtleneck shirt and a hooded sweatshirt for the torso. If comfortably possible, wear the hood up and then put your helmet on. Helps keep the cold air from licking at your neck and back. Hands and legs can stand getting a little cold. Once your torso starts getting cold, you start getting tired and sleepy.

As for keeping my hands/fingers warm, out of all I tried the most effective solution I found was tight fitting rubber gloves. Can be found at any store. They're sealed and will make your hands sweat. DON'T take them off until you park the bike for the day. People may look at you weird when pumping gas but hey if your riding a sportbike in the middle of january, get used to it.
laugh.gif
Wear gauntlet style gloves over them (i used thinsulate snowmobile gloves) and yours fingers/hands should be good for a few hours of COLD weather riding.

Central Texans & others be careful at night or dusk - It is rutting season & the deer are everywhere.
guns.gif

CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE!

oh, but you do that before every ride anyway right?
smile.gif
I'll lower mine 4 - 6 psi during cold rides, to raise tire temp faster and provide more surface for grip

Clean underwear before you ride...you just never know when someone's going to be cutting 'em off and God knows you don't want to hear "Oh nasty! What's that?" as they're doctoring you up...

Signed,
Mom

Winter gloves with a wiper blade on them are nice . Cleans the shield during rain great and doesn't soak your finger !

Clean underwear before you ride...you just never know when someone's going to be cutting 'em off and God knows you don't want to hear "Oh nasty! What's that?" as they're doctoring you up...

Signed,
Mom
I figure I'm going to crap my pants in a serious accident, and I always start the day with fresh underwear so I wedge a Mars bar wrapper between my butt cheeks so emergency first responders say "oh, wait a minute, I thought he soiled his pants but he was just storing a Mars bar in his ass crack".
Hope this helps.

cheers
ken

Back