Textile vs. Leather?

I have both. I've worn my tex maybe 5 times in 7 yrs. I just don't feel safe in it. Tex will do a good job no doubt compared to none and the newer stuff is alot better i am sure. Some of the new stuff looks really good.

But as most stated above leather will give you the most protection IMO. I've been down afew times and it saved my a$$. Mostly in my 1pc. and once in my 2pc.(slow lowside-tight/wet). No damage to the gear and not even a red spot on me. Once I got stove up pretty good in the 1pc. but it was from the impact, I most likely would not be here without it.

I wear it all summer, all the time. Been cross country, temp 120f for weeks with no problem. My 2pc is a Cortech with a ton of vents. On long trips in hot weather you can lose a lot of h2o with the wind blowing over your skin. As hard as it may be to believe the leather will form a thin layer of sweat but with a little venting a sm breeze will cool you very well, like a radiator. but not de-hydrating you quickly.

Either way drink fluids. De-hydration leads to headaches, blurred vision, slower reation times.

Have fun you'll get plenty of comments here on this. Go with what you feel comfortable with and wear it. Don't get lazy or swayed by your friends. Some of mine think I "way-over-dress." They have not been down, YET.

PS- WELCOME
post-52-02136-welcome.gif

So for summer heat in the southeast is perforated leather the best balance or is mesh that much cooler with sufficient protection?

(P-Willy @ Aug. 15 2007,15:14) So for summer heat in the southeast is perforated leather the best balance or is mesh that much cooler with sufficient protection?
Good point. Sue and I was just talking about that. I block a lot of wind so she gets hot esp. at slower speeds. I had completely forgotten this op. We were thinking about Vanson preforated ones for her. If anyone has info on preforated leathers that would be great. I wonder how many others have thought or are using them. Group buy??

Opps- kinda of a thread jack, sorry. But that maybe a good idea. I still like my fulls though.

(Luvanicebum @ Aug. 15 2007,15:36) Full Vansons, all the time.
www.ride2die.com  Go here and see for yourself what Textile looks like after crashing at 55mph.
To steal one of the posted responses to this site:

"I guess I should avoid the ocean because sharks and other predators have been known to kill humans. I should also avoid the mountains because it snows and I could freeze to death. I should also avoid any excursion possible because I have seen people die of heart attacks and strokes, etc... I should also avoid flying because planes have crashed and people have died. I should also avoid driving a car because people have died in car accidents. I could go on and on and on... If I lived by this moron's views, I could never leave my home."

(Over_Easy @ Aug. 15 2007,19:39)
www.ride2die.com  Go here and see for yourself what Textile looks like after crashing at 55mph.

"I guess I should avoid the ocean because sharks and other predators have been known to kill humans. I should also avoid the mountains because it snows and I could freeze to death. I should also avoid any excursion possible because I have seen people die of heart attacks and strokes, etc... I should also avoid flying because planes have crashed and people have died. I should also avoid driving a car because people have died in car accidents. I could go on and on and on... If I lived by this moron's views, I could never leave my home."
rock.gif
What? I don't think anyone here is scared about riding. I'm not, I'm not about riding hard, maybe I should be but that is a different question. I know the risk I just like having things a little more in my favor.

He asked for other peoples thoughts on gear. That's what he got. I see people wearing flip-flops, shorts, no shirt, no helmets flying thru traffic all the time. I think it's stupid. But I don't stop them and make them go home and put something on.

My g/f doesn't get on the bike w/o gear, PERIOD. Her safety is MY responsiblility and she would have it no other way. I'm a career firefighter of 20yrs, she is a ER nurse of 17 yrs. I dare say we've seen the end results more times then I care to count or even remember. Our responsiblility is to our families, but we do want to enjoy life and there are risks in what what we do,ei rock climbing 5-11a,b. We do play but do the best to protect yourselves in case something happens.

I didn't mean to  
rant.gif
but you kinda sounded like "if you support full leather gear your a pu$$y and should stay home". If you didn't my mistake. But if you have seen what I have or been thru what I and others have you might see things different. Not telling anyone what they have to wear just what to consider and why.

(P-Willy @ Aug. 15 2007,15:14) So for summer heat in the southeast is perforated leather the best balance or is mesh that much cooler with sufficient protection?
I ride with a Fieldsheer perforated leather jacket and find it cooler then my Icon textile jacket.

Overall I think leather is better, but it is also expensive. That is why I started with a textile then upgraded to leather as soon as I could.

I've never worn leathers
laugh.gif
blush.gif
, but watching the guys that do, they just don't seem comfortable, and if you don't have a decent figure; well most I've seen put you on full display. If all I did was leave the garage, ride, and return to the garage it would be alright. I don't know what consumer reports would say about a comparison between textile and leather as far as overall protection during an event. I believe leather would hold up better, but do you continue to wear damaged leathers after an event or do you replace them. I know you replace helmets, and I would assume you would have to replace textiles. Of course if you've got full coverage I would hope that your gear would be included. Need to look into that one.

(fasttoys1 @ Aug. 15 2007,21:11)
(Over_Easy @ Aug. 15 2007,19:39)

rock.gif
What? I don't think anyone here is scared about riding. I'm not, I'm not about riding hard, maybe I should be but that is a different question. I know the risk I just like having things a little more in my favor.

He asked for other peoples thoughts on gear. That's what he got. I see people wearing flip-flops, shorts, no shirt, no helmets flying thru traffic all the time. I think it's stupid. But I don't stop them and make them go home and put something on.

My g/f doesn't get on the bike w/o gear, PERIOD. Her safety is MY responsiblility and she would have it no other way. I'm a career firefighter of 20yrs, she is a ER nurse of 17 yrs. I dare say we've seen the end results more times then I care to count or even remember. Our responsiblility is to our families, but we do want to enjoy life and there are risks in what what we do,ei rock climbing 5-11a,b. We do play but do the best to protect yourselves in case something happens.

I didn't mean to  
rant.gif
but you kinda sounded like "if you support full leather gear your a pu$$y and should stay home". If you didn't my mistake. But if you have seen what I have or been thru what I and others have you might see things different. Not telling anyone what they have to wear just what to consider and why.
Fasttoys,

Please explain to me how your response is associated with the point being made in the statement I posted? When did I state anything about anybody being scared about riding?

BTW, the point being made "in regards to the website ride2die" is that the website is way freaking overboard by showing bodies ripped in half on the street and to basically avoid riding motorcycles or you'll end up like a pile of ground beef so we should all just hand over our motorcycle keys.

Yes it shows results of injuries from people not wearing full gear but also shows riders in full gear squashed like pumpkins in their leathers. This is a complete scare tactic to the extreme in making a point. We all know the dangers but we don't need to see pics of riders gutted like a fish. This kind of crap could even attribute to someone going down by riding tentatively in traffic or being indecisive.

The statement I posted is also making the point that we can get killed doing a number of everyday activities from slipping in the shower or being outside during a thunderstorm to riding in an elevator or driving our cars to/from work...so should we not take showers and not work at a place we must drive to?

Hope this clears things up for you. BTW, you need to look at my earlier post on this thread regarding wearing leathers.

Sport riding and track: Rev-it one-piece leathers
Daily commute: all weather Rev-it armored cordura long jacket and pants
Short trips: Spidi armored cordura short jacket and jeans (gotta get those kevlar padded ones)
When I need to wear a formal suit and have absolutely no chance than go by bike (important business meetings, weddings, funerals): Dainese urban armored long jacket (elegant and still protective). Still feels like riding naked.

I wear perforated leather in the summer,Cortech. Good air flow in all temps up to 100. After that I dont ride. Fall I wear full leather non perf. leather is king.

Memorial weekend 1978.Went down at 80 mph.Flipped on the road like a rag doll.Bike slid 370 feet.Me,flipped about 250 feet.Shorts,tank top tennis shoes,helmet.3rd degree burn on my butt,legs,arms,small place on the palm of my hand.Only 1 small scare to this day.In hospital for 6 days.Sat in a tub at body temp every day for about 2 hours,iced like a cake with burn cream and wrapped back up.At day 6 I went home 75% healed.
Funny,I picked the bike up and was going to ride it home.But a lady stopped me and took me home.If I would have had on a good pair of jeans and sweet shirt.One trip to the Dr.and that would have been it.If I would have had on my textile on[I have today].I would have picked the bike up and rode it home.With no Dr. visit.Textile would have been trashed,but would have saved my skin.Leather would have been able to reuse it.
Every crash is not the same.Besides,when you bring the streets into it.It's the cars and trucks that's the big problem.Nothing you put on will save you if a cage runs over you.

Oh yea.I was only 14 when I had this wreck.

For commuting every day, my Aerostich Roadcrafter is damn convenient and plenty protective, easily washable too. I originally freaked at the $750 price, but my first one lasted 10 years so that's a cheap investment. It's on or off in 10 seconds and gives great comfort from freezing temps to 80's. No it's not as cool looking as other gear, but I'm past 45 so old enough to not give a crap about such trivialities. Next year I'll be adding the BMW Venting Machine suit, a high quality vented suit for summertime riding. Some of the lower end kit just feels like it's not as well constructed.

For fast riding or trackdays, leather is the best since you're more likely to slide than hit anything.

I use both leather and textile for jackets. I have a Joe Rocket Lightspeed textile jacket and a Powertrip Blackhawk leather jacket. I bought both of them for the price of one good jacket. I got them on closeout from newenough. Both are very comfortable, vent well and also insulate well for riding in cooler temps. I wear leather gloves, riding boots, a variety of pants (jeans, jeans with kevlar, jeans with Bohn armor underneath, textile riding pants.) I don't have any leather pants, or full suits.

Back