Textile jacket inadequate & Leather jacket fit?

maoz

Registered
Spring is finally approaching and I am now faced with buying a jacket for my new Busa. When I sold my last GSXR I sold my textile Joe Rocket jacket along with it. My riding style is as follows: commuting, twisty roads, highways. No track time now or in the future. I ride in West Virginia where we have a riding season of March-early December. I am looking for a jacket that will offer the utmost protection (I am a safety freak) but I don't want to spend $400+ on a leather jacket if my riding style dictates that a textile jacket would perfectly suitable.

My other question is how to get a proper leather jacket fit. The closest Vanson dealer is 4 hours away and I have never bought a leather riding jacket. Can anyone give me some tips on how I can get the proper fit? I don't want to spend all this money on a jacket that doesn't fit properly because I bought it mailorder.

Thanks
smile.gif

You could go to a tailor and get measured...If theres a bike shop close you could go there and try on a few for fit...Also when trying on any jacket make sure you have enough room arm pits, shoulders, and sleeve lenght...IMO it is better to buy a jecket a little large verse just right...Another good measure is a sport coat that you have can generally put you close...
wink.gif

I have a Belstaff Avalon jacket that has a removable liner. ITs textile, but its got CE approved padding. It a good year round jacket. I've also got Joe Rocket's mesh outfit, which works for me in the summer. Leather is nice but when its 95 and your jacket is hanging in your hall closet how much good will it do you --or at least that was my mindset, plus the removable liner makes the riding season longer -actaully year round for the most part.

sport coat size works for me

You can order a Corbin catalog and measure yourself. They will ship it back and forth for free until they get it right. Any Feildsheer dealers in your area. They aren't the greatest fitting jackets, but they are cheap and pretty good. You may have to go the mesh route if it gets that hot in the summer as a second jacket. My pro perf from Vanson is cold below 70F at night. I wear my rain jacket over it when it is like that.

Thanks for the great tip on the sportcoat fit idea Stunnah
biggrin.gif
I was thinking about the Pro Perf from Vanson but I am concerned that it might be a little too hot for 80-90 degree humid summer weather, especially around town driving (sitting it traffic occasionally); and that it might be a little too cool in temperates under 60. Are these valid concerns?

Leather jackets should fit you almost semiform fitting. There should not be a lot of extra material as this will work against you in a crash. Leather works because it acts as a second skin and if it is loose it will rub your skin off your body just like an indian burn. Textile jackets can hang a little bigger but you need to ensure that all the CE armor (A must) is hanging in the right places. I would recommend going to a shop and trying on something before you mail order. If you are hitting twisties I say go with leather.

It can get into the triple digits out here sometimes and I will always were the leather. Better to lose some sweat then be a skin graft candidate. I can just stop more often for water if it is that hot. Point is each time you get on the bike dress for the worst and you will at least be putting yourself in the best position to come out of it with minor or no injuries. I work for cycle gear and sell the stuff all the time. Not creating a sale here but go to one if there is one near you and we have all kinds of stuff on sale right now that you can check out. Best of luck and let me know what you decide.

Marc "Howlin Mad"

Back