Best Pants for Protection?

I have a couple of pair of leather pants for riding but nothing with armour, they look like leather Levis' but don't offer much protection beyond being leather. Just ordered a pair of AlpineStars Bat Leather from NewEnough (Scar turned me on to NewEnough.com and Bikebandit.com)

Alpinestars Bat Leather Sport Motorcycle Pants :: New Enough, LTD

They were a little pricey but then like the man said, cheaper then skin grafts. :thumbsup:

I got a pair of these and so far (a few thousand miles) I like them a lot. Heavy knee protection and even removable hip pads. They come a little small so order a size up if you're interested. They are lined and meant to be worn as pants, not overpants. I've had them on 8-10 hours a day even in warm weather and they were still comfy. Couldn't believe the price myself but after emailing the seller back and forth, I was satisfied and took a chance. Two year warranty too. Other leather pants are soooo expensive and these are cheaper than most textile pants. For extreme weather I wear my TM Cortech overpants.

eBay Motors: EXL-MP119 MENS LEATHER RACING MOTORCYCLE CE ARMOR PANTS (item 290307373857 end time May-02-09 09:49:31 PDT)

Did anyone see these? MUCH cheaper than most other leather pants with armor.:thumbsup:

For the folks wearing/recommending mesh and textiles, have you ever hit the pavement with them?
Have you ever riden in 98 degree weather with leathers on. You would pass out from heat exhaution here. And that is no lie. Not everyone can wear leathers year round. Heck even textiles have you pouring sweat from your body down here in Florida in the summer. And yes my only accident was with no jacket on and now I am missing part of a tattoo from roadrash. ( which was stupid ) I would rather have some protection then none at all so textiles would be fine for me in the summer. And this is not an argument just stating that I have wrecked with nothing on, so anything is better than a t shirt and jeans.

Last edited:
For the folks wearing/recommending mesh and textiles, have you ever hit the pavement with them?
+1 ever seen road rash... bad stuff..

Does seem to me there is one textile pant approved for racing but not sure which..

You can purchase leathers pretty reasonable if you shop them a bit or wait for closeouts.. I went with Teknic and got jacket and pants for under $350..

Also, you would need some "undergear" They help keep you cool, leathers slide right off and will help keep the liners clean (cost is about $80 for First Gear 2 piece)

Have you ever riden in 98 degree weather with leathers on. You would pass out from heat exhaution here. And that is no lie. Not everyone can wear leathers year round. Heck even textiles have you pouring sweat from your body down here in Florida in the summer. And yes my only accident was with no jacket on and now I am missing part of a tattoo from roadrash. ( which was stupid ) I would rather have some protection then none at all so textiles would be fine for me in the summer. And this is not an argument just stating that I have wrecked with nothing on, so anything is better than a t shirt and jeans.

I've ridden in 95+ degree weather with leathers, textiles, and jeans at some point over the last 30 or so years. I've also hit the pavement with each of the three. No, I don't wear leathers 100% of time, but I wouldn't claim that mesh protection is "good" without a qualifier like, "better than nothing" (perhaps). Load up a camelback with ice, keep drinking fluids and stay moving, but when the weather is that hot, common sense does factor in...

Ohh and I wasn't being sarcastic with my question-- if there's textile protection that held up well after sliding at highway speed, I would love to learn about it.

Last edited:
Back