Tank Instrument Cluster

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
I would like to make a hard instrument cluster for the hayabusa. It will hold my Radar and GPS as well as some smaller accessories such as heated gear controller and air temp/volts gauge. I would like to have the case dome in carbon fiber and it would screw onto the tank with the 2 forward tank screws and the screws around the gas cap. Where would I go to get the body of this tank case made? Do any of the sponsors do this sore of thing? This is a picture of a cruiser but I'm thinking something similar. Anyone got any ideas for resources?

Tank Instrument cluster.jpg

Not sure if you could mod something like the stock Suzuki B-King one ?
It fits around the gas cap and has switches either side, maybe extend it forward for the gauges?
or a small guage where the King has its key ?

nl95yd.jpg

Being metal that moght be hard. But that's the general idea. Seems like a bunch of people would like a little extra storage space here for wallet and such.

Not a fan of the tank top set up on the King.
The switches are almost never used, and it makes it awkward to fit a tank bag.

Probable be a better idea on a Busa though.

Hmmm i have made fiberglass molds before with car audio stuff! Nice idea!

If i only had some time to play with the idea!

I think I'm going to try and DIY it. This would be a great skill to have but It is going to be a long learning process as I am totally ignorant on how to do it. Started reading up the past few days. I should have started this so I could have done it during x-mas vacation.

Yes. I want to put my Radar, GPS, volt/air temp meter, TPS monitor, SENA SH10 module, Heated gear controls and maybe the gyro/accelerometer board to pass lean angle info to things like signal light canceler. Pretty ambitious for someone who has never formed anything!

I'm expecting to fail (too many don't know how to do's!) at this but it will be a fun effort and maybe someone will see something and take it to a higher level. Any tips are welcome.

Innovative idea Fallen :thumbsup: I would try 2 contact a body shop near you that has experience dealing with fiberglass and custom cars etc. A helluva lot cheaper experimenting with fiberglass than CF. Once you get the mold perfected trimmed and fitted then you could send it off and have it remolded in CF.

I've seen a lot of custom car TV shows where they mold shape and shave the fiber glass to fit custom vehicles so I imagine you could find a competent shop to make a small piece like that 4U and have it look and fit exactly how U envision

I'm expecting to fail (too many don't know how to do's!) at this but it will be a fun effort and maybe someone will see something and take it to a higher level. Any tips are welcome.

Making a fiberglass instrument panel is not as difficult as you may think.
A flat piece of cardboard for a general layout of what you want.
A contour guage will be needed for a correct fit(a cheepo from harbor freight works fine).
Use the guage to make a template of the tanks exact shape. Then cut a wooden frame for the base pieces that fit against the tank.
Some trial an error is likely, but after you get a basic frame shape, laying the fiberglass isn't difficult.
Baby powder helps keep the fiberglass out of your skin, and an old long sleeve flannel shirt that you can trash when you're done.
Never wash clothes you've worked fiberglass in with anything else in the washer; otherwise the fiberglass gets into everything else.
It also never comes completely out of any clothes, hence, throw away work clothes.

Yes. I want to put my Radar, GPS, volt/air temp meter, TPS monitor, SENA SH10 module, Heated gear controls and maybe the gyro/accelerometer board to pass lean angle info to things like signal light canceler. Pretty ambitious for someone who has never formed anything!

Hey fallenarch,
I can make something up for you.
Contact me and we can hammer out your needs.

Hey fallenarch,
I can make something up for you.
Contact me and we can hammer out your needs.

Thanks will do. I have had a little change of plans though. I switched to a Galaxy S4 and they gave me a free LG tablet. So I was thinking a tablet is a much cooler screen than the Garmin 550 and it does a whole lot more. Using the tablet I can get nav, music, and this speedometer app:

So I'm thinking of this being the center of the console rather than the Garmin. the LG tablet is twice the size of the Garmin and it's a touch screen with lots of possibilities. Haven't figured out the waterproofing yet though!

Last edited by a moderator:
I use my IPhone in a tank top bag with earphones for iTunes.
The touch screen works fine through the clear map pocket on the tank bag.

Then I tried it and realised a touch screen won't work with my gloves on! Dhooo... LOL

I use my IPhone in a tank top bag with earphones for iTunes.
The touch screen works fine through the clear map pocket on the tank bag.

Then I tried it and realised a touch screen won't work with my gloves on! Dhooo... LOL

The SENA can control the IPhone music controls with voice commands. Put the IPhone in your pocket, connect with Bluetooth and you're in control without all the strings attaching everything. It's amazing where the technology is today.

Well so far things have been a struggle. I'm about ready to pack it in and see if Echo can make it happen! I have tried forming it up with clay, wood, cardboard and now foam plastic with body putty. This is where I am right now. I plan to have the tank bag go around the fuel filler cap and screw in at the tank ring. I was going to hold the front down with rubber straps attached to the fuel tank hold down screws. Here are a couple shots of the progress. It looks a little bulky because of the white color.

20150128_212251_resized.jpg

20150128_212259_resized.jpg

20150128_212333_resized.jpg

20150128_212342_resized.jpg

20150128_212351_resized.jpg

This gives better scale. You can see I made it to the minimum size to get the RD inside the hump. Planning to put a window on the front so the laser detector can work too.

20150128_212450_resized.jpg

Back