swap with gen2 gauge cluster

busabeast

likes to pass cars
Registered
hey guys- is it possible to install a gen2 gauge cluster on a gen1 bike? would it be worthwile, or too much hassle?

It's not a simple swap. Major rewiring is involved. I've never seen it done.

bummer- thanks for the input tho... guess i'll have to purchase a gear indicator and install that...

bummer- thanks for the input tho... guess i'll have to purchase a gear indicator and install that...

It can be done, but it's not an easy swap. I can't tell you how, but several members have put different guage clusters in gen 1s.
You'll need the wiring diagrams from both bikes(download the manuals from here) And break down which wire does what in each pin location on both bikes.
Buying the gear indacator is the simple solution, but I don't like to hear people say "it can't be done".

And I just remembered, there is a thread on here from earlier this year where someone did put a gen2 cluster on a gen 1.

Last edited:
You could always do what I did :whistle:
gauges1.jpg

Seriously if you were to try and fit a Gen II gauge cluster then-
The blinkers, high beam & neutral would definitely work.
The speedo, tach, fuel gauge & temperature gauge would probably work.
The gear display and everything relating to the mode would definitely not work.

Moloko whats is your cluster from a 1000? how hard was that install?

I assume you are talking about my pic. Yes the cluster is from a GSXR1000 (The GSXR750 will work too, but the 1K is better for usable dial sweep). The cluster wasn't hard to install, there is another post on the forum with the pinout. Everything worked except the gas gauge. I eventually went with an external digital gas gauge from JC Whitney (that I'm still fine tuning). I also printed a new gauge face with the redline moved down by 2K. Right now it's all mounted on a hacked up nylon cutting board with a carbon fiber sticker covering.

My blackbird has a digital speedo stock, and I tell you, elegant as dial gauges are, the big digital speedo is just easier to read at a glance so I'm very happy with it. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
i have also put gsxr1000 clocks on my busa fighter.
i used the clock wiring from the gsxr and mated it with
busa wiring,only had to change 3 wiring all the rest are
same color as the busa one's.only problem is the fuel guage
works but is reading the tank level wrong.
Moloko did you have the same problem and if so
how did you solve it mate.
rgds Mc

Seriously if you were to try and fit a Gen II gauge cluster then-
The blinkers, high beam & neutral would definitely work.
The speedo, tach, fuel gauge & temperature gauge would probably work.
The gear display and everything relating to the mode would definitely not work.

Everything does work! I can't say how, but a member posted it with pics this year. I don't think the search function works as well as it used to. Unless you know the exact name of the thread, alot of them won't show up, but it IS on here somewhere.

Everything does work! I can't say how, but a member posted it with pics this year. I don't think the search function works as well as it used to. Unless you know the exact name of the thread, alot of them won't show up, but it IS on here somewhere.

There is no way that the gear indicator can work as the signal is generated in the ECU on a GEN II bike and there is no equivalent circuitry in the GEN I. Now as Jonny Cheese said, anything is possible if you throw enough money at it, but I highly doubt the gear indicator works.

There is no way that the gear indicator can work as the signal is generated in the ECU on a GEN II bike and there is no equivalent circuitry in the GEN I. Now as Jonny Cheese said, anything is possible if you throw enough money at it, but I highly doubt the gear indicator works.

I know the differences and how they work. I also said I didn't know how he did it. The post is here somewhere to be found.

Back