gen1 swap

i just had my 02 gen1 busa fairings and cluster gauges swapped to gen2. now my thermostat shoots straight to red and the f1 light comes on. has any one done this swap before or have an idea of the problem. thanks in advance

@nightmare on elm street...you've got a Gen I Busa you just dropped Gen II gauges onto. It's not plug n' play unfortunately. There will be a laundry list of issues. Lots of wiring to do. Some things like the gear position indicator will be a huge hassle,Gen I's don't have a signal for that,may never work.
Gen I's and 2's get temp readings from different sources.
Your FI light is on because it is missing signals from a Gen II ECU. ETC.
You have your work cut out for you. Good luck with it.
Somebody may have a step by step for you,I hope so.
:welcome: to the Org.
Rubb.

Everything Rubb said is true. Since the FI light is on pull the codes and see what it tells you.

@rubbersidedown the f1 lights not my main concern and yes i know it alot of work with the wiring but the thermostat is whats worrying me. it keeps shooting to red and then comes down then back to red. but i appreciate the help

@rubbersidedown the f1 lights not my main concern and yes i know it alot of work with the wiring but the thermostat is whats worrying me. it keeps shooting to red and then comes down then back to red. but i appreciate the help
Yup. Your Gen I rad temp sensor does not send a compatible signal into the wiring harness that your Gen II cluster will accept.
Gen I reads temp from a different place than your Gen II gauges input.
I'll do my best to walk you thru some of the things I hope to figure out with you,but I hope some of the other boys will chime in.
Do you have wiring schematics for both Gen's ? Full and complete will be needed. You'll have parts to source. Do you have a good multi-meter?
Rubb.

Welcome along,
That's an 'ambitious' project you have going there sir.I would love to help but have never attempted this conversion so I have little to offer.
As Rubb said,
"Do you have wiring schematics for both Gen's ? Full and complete will be needed. You'll have parts to source. Do you have a good multi-meter? "
Very very time consuming, good luck and if you get it done successfully please be sure to post the result to the forum, it would be a first for sure.

i just had my 02 gen1 busa fairings and cluster gauges swapped to gen2 (...)

did you replace the gen1 main harness to the gen 2 too
and did ypu do same to ecu and so on?
or
how did you get the gen 2 speedo (and its gauges) run with gen1 signals?
as far as i know and understand the scheme, this couldn´t work.

to your temperature gauge - at gen 1 you have two feelers - one in the rear oh the head (for gauge) and one in the radiator (for fan)
at gen 2 they put those 2 togehter into one feeler in the rear of head and the ecu (over relais) steers the gauge and the fan(s).

so far ...

i just had a full swap done on my gen1. but having thermostat problems and the f1 light comes on. which is the...

did you replace the gen1 main harness by the gen 2 too
and did you do same to ecu and so on?
or

to your temperature gauge - at gen 1 you have two feelers - one in the rear of the head (for gauge) and one in the radiator (for fan)
at gen 2 they put those 2 togehter into one feeler in the rear of head and the ecu (over relais) steers the gauge and the fan(s).

so far ...

Yup. Your Gen I rad temp sensor does not send a compatible signal into the wiring harness that your Gen II cluster will accept.
Gen I reads temp from a different place than your Gen II gauges input.
I'll do my best to walk you thru some of the things I hope to figure out with you,but I hope some of the other boys will chime in.
Do you have wiring schematics for both Gen's ? Full and complete will be needed. You'll have parts to source. Do you have a good multi-meter?
Rubb.
just down loaded both of them once again thank you i appreciate your help

did you replace the gen1 main harness to the gen 2 too
and did ypu do same to ecu and so on?
or

to your temperature gauge - at gen 1 you have two feelers - one in the rear oh the head (for gauge) and one in the radiator (for fan)

so far ...
it was done by a shop . i belive he said he used the original harness

it was done by a shop . i belive he said he used the original harness

you didn't do it yourself ?
you got it done by a shop?
then - what about their warranty and so on?
they got a lot of money, i suppose, so they have to fix your issue, because, i guess, they, however, did something wrong.

and please give us here a picky list of all ! electrical things/pieces they replaced.

and additional to that list some pics .

i am strongly convinced that for instance a gen2 speedometer cannot harmonize with a standard gen1 wiring harness (or the other way around).

need an basic example?
the connector from harness itself to the speedometer is completely different from gen1 to gen2 .

temp gauge :

at the gen1 (as i remember at the moment) the pointer goes all the way up and the red lamp comes on when you kick off the sidestand with a gear in (motor stops).
how this is built at the gen2 i do not know at the moment

Last edited:
Back