swapping out rims

xxxboatworks

Registered
I'm planning on swapping out my rims for a set of chrome oe wheels (exchange). How hard is it to swap over all the parts from one wheel to another? I'm sure I can handle the brake rotor, sprocket/hub and cushdrive- my concern is over the bearings. I've never messed with them before. Do I need a press or any other special tools? I'm getting new rubber mounted on the new wheels anyway and don't want to pay a extra 100 bucks if I don't have to swap over all the other parts. Just wondering what the process is and how hard or easy it is to do. Thanks in advance.

Here are a couple of photo of me replacing my damaged front bearings from riding year round (salty roads).  
wow.gif

The photos pretty much explain everything you need to do.
I used a claw hammer to remove the seal and a steel punch not brass to push out the bearings.  You can reuse your stock bearing if you place the punch on the outter lip of the bearing when tapping them out. But I would recommend going to your local dealer for a replacement  set of seals and  World Wide Bearings  for your  front and rear replacement bearing for $75 shipped to your door.

DSC03241.jpg

Once you pull the seal out the bearing will be exposed, hopefully not like this  
wow.gif

DSC03242.jpg

Just removed the first bearing.

DSC03243.jpg

Heres me getting the punch down in there.
DSC03244.jpg

Now do the same to the rear rim.

If you have anymore question just holla !

wow.gif

No, it's not hard, but when you swap the wheels, you should order new bearings, they don't cost very much! I had to take mine to a shop and get the bearings pressed in, but not everybody has to do that.

Good Luck!
all_coholic.gif

No need for a press to get them back in. Just use a Socket that fits directly over the outside or flushed over the whole surface of the of the bearing. Then place a block of wood over the socket and tap it back it with a hammer. Dont go to your dealer for the bearings( only the seal), just go to the link I posted earlier.

The main thing is not to apply pressure to the inner ring on the bearing !

I've done this procedure on both my busa with no problems.

(Rhythm @ Nov. 25 2006,14:39) No need for a press to get them back in. Just use a Socket that fits directly over the outside or flushed over the whole surface of the of the bearing. Then place a block of wood over the socket and tap it back it with a hammer. Dont go to your dealer for the bearings( only the seal), just go to the link I posted earlier.

The main thing is not to apply pressure to the inner ring on the bearing !

I've done this procedure on both my busa with no problems.
+1
beerchug.gif

Rhythm, is that the new Suzuki Bearing Removal Tool ya got there  
SHOCKED.gif
.  And what's the part number
laugh.gif

(DaCol. @ Nov. 25 2006,15:21) Rhythm, is that the new Suzuki Bearing Removal Tool ya got there  
SHOCKED.gif
.  And what's the part number
laugh.gif
C'mon man, dont go bustn jokes on a broke down Pimp.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I was going to ask you about using a socket to punch the bearing out ? Good info. I rate you a 5 dude.
beerchug.gif

(dadofthree @ Nov. 25 2006,16:04) I was going to ask you about using a socket to punch the bearing out ? Good info. I rate you a 5 dude.  
beerchug.gif
Better send PayPal.
tounge.gif

x- I did this when I picked up a set of TL1000 silver oem rims and swapped them out. I did it the hard way and order a complete new set of bearings and axle spacers from BikeBandit.com. I took my rims to a local machine shop and had them press new bearings in. Didn't trust myself to do something like this as I might muck it up. I travel about 10K a year on this bike, so all these little things have to work perfect. It wasn't cheap, but in the end, came out lookin' great. Really pleased.

Before
150_5094-2-Dragon.jpg

After
Img_0246.jpg

(pashnit @ Nov. 27 2006,20:43) x- I did this when I picked up a set of TL1000 silver oem rims and swapped them out. I did it the hard way and order a complete new set of bearings and axle spacers from BikeBandit.com.  I took my rims to a local machine shop and had them press new bearings in. Didn't trust myself to do something like this as I might muck it up. I travel about 10K a year on this bike, so all these little things have to work perfect. It wasn't cheap, but in the end, came out lookin' great. Really pleased.

Before
150_5094-2-Dragon.jpg

After
Img_0246.jpg
Why didn't you just get your orginal wheels power coated the color you wanted
rock.gif
? Wouldn't that have been a match, cheaper and simpler to do  
wink.gif
. I'am asking because I'am thinking about power coating my wheels another color  
coffee.gif

(Rhythm @ Nov. 25 2006,16:10) Here are a couple of photo of me replacing my damaged front bearings from riding year round (salty roads).  
wow.gif

The photos pretty much explain everything you need to do.
I used a claw hammer to remove the seal and a steel punch not brass to push out the bearings.  You can reuse your stock bearing if you place the punch on the outter lip of the bearing when tapping them out. But I would recommend going to your local dealer for a replacement  set of seals and  World Wide Bearings  for your  front and rear replacement bearing for $75 shipped to your door.

DSC03241.jpg

Once you pull the seal out the bearing will be exposed, hopefully not like this  
wow.gif

DSC03242.jpg

Just removed the first bearing.

DSC03243.jpg

Heres me getting the punch down in there.
DSC03244.jpg

Now do the same to the rear rim.

If you have anymore question just holla !
Thanks for the link Rhythm. I am going ceramic with new rims soon.

wow.gif

By all means, buy new bearings and seals for your new wheels. Money well spent!

Back