SUSPENSION

I hear ya Ray, I'm a carpenter, much more tooled up to build decks than to work on bikes, so sometimes these things are much more cost effective to have someone else do it. Besides I loose $400 in one day not working.
On the weekends it's even more $.
Hell, I'll trade off mods for carpentry services any day.
biggrin.gif

Right Ray.. I would think most ppl would know if they will save or loose money doing it themself. Springs $110, Valves $105 and oil $10. But close enough, and if you'd loose $400 in a day, your much better than me. I'll do the mods if you lay the carpet in my basement! Whatcha want
smile.gif

You should still check your ride height after the forks are on the bike.  But they should have it set very close anyway.

You comparaed them to the $2800 ohlins.  Not a fair comparason.  
wink.gif

It cost me about $400 for the parts and about $400 for the labor(PPS in LA did the labor), to get ohlin's internals in my stock forks.

$600 racetech vs   $800 ohlins

You're going to love them in the twisties!!
beerchug.gif

Ok I'll step up and be the neophyte here. I am really interested in doing new springs and oil following the Step by Step rebuild that CAT3 wrote up. My question is how do you adjust the Gold valves? Do you have to take the forks apart to adjust them? Or do you just set and forget?

CharlesBusa, you're right about just doing Ohlins internals. My deal was wierd, the guy I bought the gold Busa tubes from just bought the $2800 Ohlins forks. Actually, at the time, I didn't even know Ohlins did just internals! Anyways, I am also waiting for a redone rear Race Tech shock so I might as well do pics of that install too. BTW, I had no complaints re: OEM but dialed in suspension, I guess it's only going to be better now! Raydog

Hi Bigoltool, please don't think I'm blowing smoke or bragging here, I'm not. I ride really hard, including track days. I've had bikes that I just changed the fork oil and springs and left everything else alone...and they were fine. If you carry heavy loads, ride very hard, do track days, passenger sometimes, test your limits, etc., then by all means blow your suspension out! One of the "touring" benefits is that a quality suspension makes for much more seat time with less fatigue and better evenings in resturaunts on the road (instead of having to swallow Iboprophen like M&M's). Just my thoughts......Raydog

(raydog @ Jun. 12 2007,18:34) Hi Bigoltool, please don't think I'm blowing smoke or bragging here, I'm not. I ride really hard, including track days. I've had bikes that I just changed the fork oil and springs and left everything else alone...and they were fine. If you carry heavy loads, ride very hard, do track days, passenger sometimes, test your limits, etc., then by all means blow your suspension out! One of the "touring" benefits is that a quality suspension makes for much more seat time with less fatigue and better evenings in resturaunts on the road (instead of having to swallow Iboprophen like M&M's). Just my thoughts......Raydog
?

I was just asking how you adjust the Gold Valves?

OK, my long response was because....gold valves are small fixed circular parts that exist in the internals of modified Race Tech shocks (and forks). They are not adjustable (short of replacing them). If you choose to replace your OEM internals with gold valves, it makes the shock unit far more responsive to forces generated by road irregularities, deceleration, etc. they work more! To me well worth the money.

Gold valves are much nicer overall. The $600 spent for the forks Ray has is a dayum nice deal overall. I just try to encourage others to learn and do more themselves.

Meant no disrespect Ray, sorry for sounding that way.

(CAT3 @ Jun. 12 2007,18:50) Gold valves are much nicer overall. The $600 spent for the forks Ray has is a dayum nice deal overall. I just try to encourage others to learn and do more themselves.

Meant no disrespect Ray, sorry for sounding that way.
Thanks man all I wanted to know. Good Write up BTW!
beerchug.gif

None taken, Cat3! Hey, have you ever heard of a little town on the San Juan river called Pagosa Springs? I got a little place there. Great riding...Lake City, Crede, etc.!

Ray, no I haven't...only been here almost a month and only done one ride so far.. that was to Bishops Castle and luckily enough not far from my home. Next week or so will be Pikes Peak ride.. I'll have to look up Lake City area and see where its at. Still looking for other CO riders..found one from the Springs..

Bigoltool, no problem and thanks. FWIW, when I did that write-up I had never took a fork apart before and I'm not a pro bike wrench either.

Doyle,  looks great! How long did they need your forks? I hate to be laid up too long but my fork seals are leaking again ( just changed em last summer )

- Kent

(Devil Dog @ Jun. 12 2007,16:51)
(raydog @ Jun. 12 2007,16:50) The tubes are OEM "03 or later Busa, sent to Race Tech for their Gold Valves, 1.0 springs and blue 5 wt. fork oil. If you supply the forks, it's about $600 but compare their performance to a $2800 set of Ohlins and it makes alot of sense!
So do they set it up for your own weight all geared up....or is it generic settings?
You need .95 kg springs and the new valve kits
wink.gif

OK, so all tihngs said and done, is it worth the extra $200 to do Ohlin insides, or the racetech a better deal? I ride fairly hard, love the twistys, and do track days. I've been going back and forth on what i should do with my forks. 1 thing i do know is i can't afford to buy the full ohlins set. so i'm stuck with re-building mine.

Cykill, stand by for my report on the Race Tech ft forks. In the next couple of days I'll be doing the Sierras....I'm 225 lbs, hard rider, pretty new PP's and stock rear shock( Race Tech is doing a replacement rear shock right now, which is the subject of a near future strand here). Anyways, I'll be posting the difference between my previously dialed in OEM forks and these new Race Tech units. I can't speak for the Ohlins redo(vrs Race Tech) but can't imagine a significant difference, maybe someone else has comparative data! Raydog

Back