Why do some guys run this way?

2hip

Registered
Looking at upgrades on suspension. It seems like all I do lately is read literature, price things, hem and hah, talk to suspension companies...on and on...so here is a question for guys who've done it or are in the business of suspension work...why do some guys run Ohlins shock and Race Tech forks?
I understand the price differential beween Ohlins and Race Tech...do some guys run Ohlin shocks and Race Tech shocks? I don't quite get it? Any help appreciated.

I think the number one factor is probably price. I would rather have my suspension's guts replaced for my setup vs. just an off the shelf piece of hardware. I went with a penske rear shock but had it tweeked to my needs. The front suspension guts were replaced for my setup and use as well. I personaly don't think I would get the same results with off the shelf stuff no matter who's name is on them.

I will add that off the shelf higher end components are a plus since they should allow you to do a better job of dialing the suspension in and being more consistant than OE stuff.

I will add that off the shelf higher end components are a plus since they should allow you to do a better job of dialing the suspension in and being more consistant than OE stuff.

Here is how a Suspension Guru explained it to me once in common terms that's easily understood.

Think of suspension as if it were a sound system. Go to costco and buy a $99 stereo. Now you have a sound system with three controls "Bass - Treble - Balance". Any kid off the farm can pretty much dial this system in and make it work about as good as any expert.

Now take a trip to a recording studio where you have a sound system with 60 or more adjustments, turn the farm boy loose to do the tuning and the system will be so screwed up it will sound worse than the costco unit. It takes well schooled professionals to tune high end systems whether it's sound or suspension.

It's not necessarily what you ride but how well what you ride is tuned! :beerchug:

Here is how a Suspension Guru explained it to me once in common terms that's easily understood.

Think of suspension as if it were a sound system. Go to costco and buy a $99 stereo. Now you have a sound system with three controls "Bass - Treble - Balance". Any kid off the farm can pretty much dial this system in and make it work about as good as any expert.

Now take a trip to a recording studio where you have a sound system with 60 or more adjustments, turn the farm boy loose to do the tuning and the system will be so screwed up it will sound worse than the costco unit. It takes well schooled professionals to tune high end systems whether it's sound or suspension.

It's not necessarily what you ride but how well what you ride is tuned! :beerchug:
I think there's three levels to your analogy

Basic OE suspension = Bass - Treble - Balance

Then off the shelf high end pieces = 60hz - 350hz - 2.5k hz - 15k hz

The top, in my mind, is a reworked not just rebuilt suspension = now you're in a studio

Hopefully the guy in the studio is there to help you based on your needs. I think at the mid level the "farm boy" can already get lost without the proper assistance.

I think there's three levels to your analogy

Basic OE suspension = Bass - Treble - Balance

Then off the shelf high end pieces = 60hz - 350hz - 2.5k hz - 15k hz

The top, in my mind, is a reworked not just rebuilt suspension = now you're in a studio

Hopefully the guy in the studio is there to help you based on your needs. I think at the mid level the "farm boy" can already get lost without the proper assistance.

The UPS man is not going to be much help when it comes to tuning, eh?

And,,,,,,,,,,,,, the guy you purchased the parts from three states away is most likely not going to show up at your door nor can he set your suspension up over the phone. You are pretty much on your own.

My point being, you get a generic setup from the seller, a guess-ta-mation so to speak. You and I may be the same weight with the same bike and same suspension but our tuning needs have little chance of being the same. Tuning suspension is not like spandex where one size fits all.

Tuf, thanks....but not one single guy answered the pertinent question...or...or...i poorly stated the question. Why do some guys run a mixed setup..i.e., Ohlin shock and RT forks? Do you ever see it vice versa...i.e....Ohlin forks and RT shock? I plan on getting a 5 track day pass with Zoom Zoom and am hoping like heck that the tracks that are close to home, Infinion (Sears Point) and Willows will have a tuning guy from Ohlins and/or Race Tech...what is your experience with these guys showing up at "track days"?

Tuf, thanks....but not one single guy answered the pertinent question...or...or...i poorly stated the question. Why do some guys run a mixed setup..i.e., Ohlin shock and RT forks? Do you ever see it vice versa...i.e....Ohlin forks and RT shock? I plan on getting a 5 track day pass with Zoom Zoom and am hoping like heck that the tracks that are close to home, Infinion (Sears Point) and Willows will have a tuning guy from Ohlins and/or Race Tech...what is your experience with these guys showing up at "track days"?

You can, as many people do, run mixed and matched suspension components. You can actually mix the internal components of your forks or shock such as Ohlin's valves and Race Tech springs etc. It's common to see Ohlins forks and Penski shock. Your choice of suspension parts depends on your needs, taste and $$. No different than mixing tires such as I do on my busa with a BT016 front and BT023 rear. It's not a requirement to run a matched set. All depends on the end user.

Thanks Tuff...the owner of the Honda dealer in Vallejo is an ex-racer. Was one of the illuminati and still shreds a tire in a 20 minute session...even in his late 40's..named Jeff. He thinks Ohlins are a lot better than the RaceTech..but he said that is because that is what he's always used. Was trying to figure out why guys do some of the choices they do. For example maybe the technology on the RT shock doesn't perform as well under severe racing as well as an Ohlin does due to technological issues...that kind of stuff. But if it is just dollars and advice from people they respect...then I have a handle on that. Geez...I'm 60 now so Valentino's racing record is safe from me...but believe in doing my research. That is why guys like you are so valuable because of your long years of experience..I don't need to reinvent the wheel..but like to talk with the experienced racers and suspension guys in what works...what are the available options..and such...and what is just BS...thanks for your patience...:thumbsup:

You are a wise man!

As you know, when you ask a question on the net you will more often than not get a wide range of answers. It's up to you to wriggle your way through the mine field and figure out what's credible and what's smoke.

Upgraded suspension can be really sweet if it's adjusted properly. In my view, suspension is far more advantageous than HP. However, the stock suspension also works pretty dang well.

Example: My friend GregBob rides the buns off a bone stock busa at the track. He weighs in at around 210 pounds in leathers and on a Gen I. I've not yet seen another busa or ZX14 that can hang with him even on upgraded suspension. GregBob made his busa ride better the old fashion way, he spent his time and money on the track getting instruction which improved the most important aspect of any motorcycle "The Rider".

Greg PDX 1 .jpg

Tuf, love that picture...am going to wall paper the screen with it. I agree 100 percent...Saw a comment yesterday when I was googling the topic Race Tech versus Ohlins. It lead me to many other web forums and discussions. One of the guys posted up something that just cracked me up hard...He said..."all of the tools and none of the talent"...Fitting don't you think? Hope to get up your way one of these days and ride your track...alan

maybe you should take that sweet ass 750 to the track before you sell it alan, along with some instruction. it'd make for a wonderful last week or two with the little bike.

Ogre, I am secretly hoping that it won't sell. I know I should sell it...but it just makes me nauseous to think about it. there is a chance I'll do Laguna Seca on June 22nd...so I'll keep my fingers crossed..

Back