STUNTS!!!! Whaddya say??

PACIFICBUSA

The Shaver Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
Ok...just to start off:

Can anyone give me legit....and I emphasize legit....advice on how to keep the front up? I'm working on sit-downs, and I do the usual crack in first...sometimes it comes up too fast, sometimes it comes up alright....sometimes it just wastes my rear.

Can ya give me hints on what RPMs to keep her on, tips on finding that max balance point, and generally how to keep her front end up? Can you also give me some pointers on how to keep the front from coming down rough?

Being technical is cool....I don't mind detail...especially if it's gonna save me a nasty wreck. Just want some help, guys and gals. More info? I have a 99....stand about 5'9" and weigh 255lbs. Please talk to me like someone who has never done one before...and before you discourage me...please remember that I've been working on it already.

Some advice on stand-ups would be nice too. Anyone?

stand up....

it might be scary the first couple times but you can get your weight back farther once it starts to come up and its easier to balance.

once you master the easier stand ups, then try sitting down. It will be a slight change but knowing the balance point helps alot when sitting down.

<!--EDIT|fstbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1078599595 -->

*** Be sure to have the bike and your tires up to temp:

[*] While in first gear hold the throttle steady at approx 4k-5k rpm's (this will vary depending on mods / tuning.)

[*] Next, let off the throttle for a split second to load the front suspension up.

[*] Finally, roll on the throttle with a steady,brisk motion.

You should start to feel the bike raise at this point just keep feeding it throttle.

Be sure to keep your stomach muscles tight and don't feel the need squeeze the heck outta your bars. This will cause you twist the throttle with out realizing it.

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>*** disclaimer *** The above post is strictly for informational use and should NEVER be practiced on public roadways. Always consult with your "gut feeling" dept. before attempting stupid maneuvers on fast motorcycles. And remember "Don't Drink and Ride". Exclusively brought to you by the "GrabnTwist" Im bored now and will reply to this post foundation.</span>

Easy to do, tough to train yourself. SMooth is the key. If you hear your chain slap you are already on the wrong track. Okay 2nd gear goin about 45-50 mph. Nail the throttle and slip the clutch, slip not pull it to the clip on, and then dump it. Hold the gas open till you feel it get a little light, and let off gas to keep you from flipping. This happens very fast and takes practice. Throttle control is the key to wheelies. Once you feel it get light like you are gonna flip you are almost there. Takes som practice to get used to it. Unless you hit your tail light on the ground you will be okay. It is okay to chop the throttle while you are learning how to wheelie, that will help you keep it up a little. Main thing is practice and be careful.

Once the tire is off the ground, use the power to bring the bike up the rest of the way. Practice again is key. Fight the urge to lean forward when you hammer it, if anything lean back. Hope that helps out, and be careful

Be sure to keep your stomach muscles tight and don't feel the need squeeze the heck outta your bars. This will cause you twist the throttle with out realizing it.
[/QUOTE]

I wish I woulda read this before 2 days ago. I was coming home from bike nights and let the clutch go to quickly at a stop light trying to get a jump on some bikes next to me and my BUS lifted up like seabiscuit. I realized all in a matter of seconds that my balance was off and since I got shook for a fraction of a sec. I pulled the throttle without realizing it, luckily I caught myself and hit the rear brake. WHOA.

I can't hold a wheelie up long at all either. But I felt it was easier to hold on my GSXR. The stand up thing is true, I can't sit down and pull 1 wheel up easily.

lots of good advice here,
thanks

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>*** disclaimer ***  The above post is strictly for informational use and should NEVER be practiced on public roadways. Always consult with your "gut feeling" dept. before attempting stupid maneuvers on fast motorcycles. And remember "Don't Drink and Ride". Exclusively brought to you by the "GrabnTwist" Im bored now and will reply to this post foundation.</span>
beautifull . jus' fuggin' beautifull . You can write sum good shid when you feel so inclined . I like it .

Who'd a thought...Grab n'tits writes disclaimers for a living.

Hav a good 1 Grab.......RSD.

GNT...sounds interesting. When I roll on the throttle after chopping it, what RPM range am I looking at getting too and keeping? Also, how can I tell where the max balance point is at? Say I'm sitting on the bike, it comes up, and the tank is at the same level where my face would be sitting down. I've heard that this is a very dangerous position.

And what about getting it back down? I'm terrified of the slappers...I don't wanna go down.

O ya....PacMan.....

you hurt yerself doin' that Krazy poop , an' you an' I are gonna have words .

and they wont be nice ones either...(if you can imagine that)

Be cool brother . Somebody has to show the ugly little white guy around the islands one day .

easy bro.....I mean it....RSD.

Onone...that sounds like some scary shid! Dood, if that's they way yer doing it, please be safe. It sounds like yer flirtin alot with a tip-over.

I don't wanna do too many wheelies in 2nd. Only because that usually means I'm nearing triple digit speeds a whole lot faster than I want to. My friend just crashed his 03 G1k...at 120mph. He's fine, so that's all that matters to me, but wow! He brought the front up (stand up) and then it started to wobble. Brought it down, started to tank slap and head straight for the median. He bailed off the bike, took some tumbles, and lived to tell about wiping out at 100+.

That's the shid I'm scared of....

GNT...sounds interesting. When I roll on the throttle after chopping it, what RPM range am I looking at getting too and keeping? Also, how can I tell where the max balance point is at? Say I'm sitting on the bike, it comes up, and the tank is at the same level where my face would be sitting down. I've heard that this is a very dangerous position.

And what about getting it back down? I'm terrified of the slappers...I don't wanna go down.
Your R's should be around 6-8k and slightly climbing. Sitting down your vision will be very limited. I usually look over the side of my bike, still not a very good line of sight. After mastering this you'll probably want to shift gears. Best method: clutchless, just drop slightly below your balance point and snick the lever into 2cnd grdually increase throttle. Someone mentioned clutchin' your wheelies above, if you love your life and/or plastic you will avoid your temptations for doin' this on a big bike like the 1300, especialy if you are runnin' a stock clutch. There the most inconsistent of all wheelies in my opinion. The only time I would suggest clutchin' would be on a CBR 900 RR otherwise stick to this method you'll be safer.

You will know when you reach your balance point, just get in the habit of covering the rear brake while doin' wheelies. It'll quicken your reaction time to return the beast back down to earth if you get a little squirly. To avoid slammin' the Busa down just gradually feed it throttle while she's earth bound. Also make sure the front wheel is as straight as possible on touch down. (don't grab on to the bars for dear life have a decent grip but not to firm this will avoid unwanted inputs to the front wheel.

*** disclaimer *** The above post is strictly for informational use and should NEVER be practiced on public roadways. Always consult with your "gut feeling" dept. before attempting stupid maneuvers on fast motorcycles. And remember "Don't Drink and Ride". Exclusively brought to you by the "GrabnTwist" Im bored now and will reply to this post foundation.

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>*** disclaimer ***  The above post is strictly for informational use and should NEVER be practiced on public roadways. Always consult with your "gut feeling" dept. before attempting stupid maneuvers on fast motorcycles. And remember "Don't Drink and Ride". Exclusively brought to you by the "GrabnTwist" Im bored now and will reply to this post foundation.</span>
beautifull . jus' fuggin' beautifull .   You can write sum good shid when you feel so inclined .  I like it .

Who'd a thought...Grab n'tits writes disclaimers for a living.

Hav a good 1 Grab.......RSD.
Hey now Rubbah dingy, don't I always right the good stuff? Gotta be on top of my game, can't be held responsible for broken plastic and hurt ego's now.

When in doubt just Grabn'Twist.

really no bike requires to be clutched up.... my 125 dirtbike comes right up with the chop n twist method....
biggrin.gif

O ya....PacMan.....

you hurt yerself doin' that Krazy poop , an' you an' I are gonna have words .

and they wont be nice ones either...(if you can imagine that)

Be cool brother .  Somebody has to show the ugly little white guy around the islands one day .

easy bro.....I mean it....RSD.
You got it, Rubbah....I'll keep that in mind. Actually, if I can master those real slow 15-20mph wheelies, I would be so happy! No need to go supah fast, and I can be in a parking lot...where no cagers are gonna flatten me.

But yeah, bro....I'll remember that. It's good to know that people are lookin' out fer me. It's a good thing I'm still scared too....at least I know it'll keep me from doing really insane shid.

Thanks bro....and I will.
beerchug.gif

Maybe you should think about an aftermarket adjustable steering dampener for stunting your Busa.

GNT....please tell me more about the balance point and throttle manipulation. I know I'm pickin yer brain, but I wanna get the most-ess for my hostess....wait a minute! Wrong line, sorry.

But really though: when you're at your balance point, where are things on the bike in relation to your position sitting down? What I mean to say is this: what can I look for to let me know that I'm approaching my balance point when the bike is on one...where are the gauges, the handlebars, gas tank and stuff in correlation to my previous position of sitting?

You can think of it like this: imagine two riders going down the road side by side. One rider picks up the front and sits comfortably in his max balance point while the other rider remains right next to him, seated, and still on both wheels.

Where would the one-wheeled rider's instruments be in relation to the other biker's face?

Sounds to me like you need to get a 600 or 1000 if your wanting to do that stuff. The Busa wasn,t made for that. Just my .02.
smile.gif

Ummm, Just cause it look slike no one else has pointed it out, but the Busa is a pretty poor choice for stunts... Heavy, long wheel base, etc... Go find an old CBR 929 or 954 for the stunt work, save the wear and tear on your Busa.

Now on topic, getting it up is allways just a snap of the throttle at about 5K in First, 6K in second. No bouncing or clutch needed... well at sea level anyway, then it is just going to be a matter of finding the balance point. But I am no wheelie expert and this has allready been said. One other tidbit I can offer though is to give the throttle a quick flick as you come in for a landing, it'll help give you a nice soft touchdown... save your forks some wear and tear...but really, I would find a different bike if you are really wanting ito get into stunts... An SV650 should be easy to get, and they have a ton of aftermarket available...

Rev

Was passed by a 1000 doing a a 90mph wheelie just last week. The boy was enjoying showing off for me. Next day, was telling a fellow about it.... He told me how a friend of a friend came down too hard on his 1000, the bike started tank slapping, he was thrown off, broke his neck and died.

Hope you are careful and good luck...

Love my big and heavy bike...

like I said previously, My BUSA lifts up all day long when I'm pulling away. EVERY SINGLE TIME. but I can't really get it to stay, it either feels like it's gonna loop so I come down and I can't find the perfect balance. I'm not mad about that, I know it can get up, i'm not trying to be GhostRider so It's cool. I just can't get the perfect harmony to keep it up (no homo)

this is why i'm thinking of getting the 250 wide tire kit and extending the swing arm just a little.
If i'm not gonna bring the bike up, then might as well drop it a little and come faster off the line

If you want to make it easier, and you haven't already done so PACBUSA, lower your gearing a bit. At our weight (Im at 235ish) you have to bounce it up in 2nd with stock gearing. I really don't mess with first gear wheelies too much. It all just happens too fast for me in 1st.

Back