Stripping wheels for coating...

CAT3

Donating Member
Registered
Well, I used some Tal Strip II, sprayed it on and waited. The outer rim, part a lot of ppl polish, stripped right off nicely. The center section with the rough finish just doesn't want to strip, WTF? I've cleaned, recoated with stipper, and a did this a few times, letting it sit longer than the directions suggest for "stubborn" areas. I'll end up glass beading them in the morning, but man, I didnt think it would be that darn tough. He11 I got the tires of the rims myself in about 10min or less...not shabby for only the 2d and 3rd time doing it. If the weather permits, its going in the oven y afternoon.
Dealer called today, the new shoes, Pilot 2CT's, are in also. Still waiting on wheel bearing seals, and cover gaskets.

Charlie

super.gif

Heavy, I've actually had a buddy tell me post-facto the same thing about the liquid. Of course it pisses me off, he knew I was doing this and I planned on using the spray can...ughh..$21 wasted. So, the liquid can, use a paint brush to apply? I wanted to do my clutch cover, but cannot until the wheels are back on so I can put her on the side stand! So, I'll concentrate on the wheels, and hope I can get these stripped tomorrow morning.

BTW, I like the polished outers...

(CAT3 @ Jan. 11 2007,23:26) Heavy, I've actually had a buddy tell me post-facto the same thing about the liquid. Of course it pisses me off, he knew I was doing this and I planned on using the spray can...ughh..$21 wasted. So, the liquid can, use a paint brush to apply? I wanted to do my clutch cover, but cannot until the wheels are back on so I can put her on the side stand! So, I'll concentrate on the wheels, and hope I can get these stripped tomorrow morning.

BTW, I like the polished outers...
laugh.gif
great friend.

I guess the aerosol is diluted by packaging.

Steal wool and a bucket of warm water helps too.

Paintbrush will work, I used a sponge to maintain a straight line on the wheels.

If I were you I'd paint the inners back black and leave the lip.

There is a lot of sanding to get those guys smooth.

Heavy, I'll be picking up some liquid/gel stripper in an hour or so, and some steel wool. I'll get these stripped today!

Dadofthree, front/back 2CT's were $300 including mount and balance.

BigGeorge, yeah me too! Hopefully the weather clears up later and I can have them finished today.

BA, I just couldn't do it like most others. I feel asleep and seen the entire wheel in the Pyscho Lime and have to go for it. Hopefully what I seen in my dream is what I'll in life.

Ranman, not sure, but when it gets to the point where I put them in the cabinent for cleanup, I'll snap some pics. Right now, the lip are shiny, the center is pock marked, black base, with grey dots, and some metal, just ugly looking.

The lip of the  rim can be stripped with gasket remover and the spoke area with a strip wheel attached to a  hand drill. Here what mine look like when I did it almost two and half years ago.
post-11-03855-dsc01741.jpg

Back