stretched... have I missed something here

mikeonbike1962

Registered
So, you've seen the PICS-PICS...

proabably 5" of stretch. I like the look but:
- It really doesn't hook up.
- wider turning radius.
- easy spin out on street turns.

If your dragging the bike, how can a stretch help? Unless you have like sandbags over the wheel and the tire is a slick made out of silly putty I just can't see it happening. Why not attach wheely bars and race that way?

So, my question is: beside looks, is there any other reason?

mike

climb_vert28bretXXX.jpg

biggrin.gif

I would think the stretching these bikes is a 99.9% cosmetic thing.. sure kills the handling of them..

I have talked with a couple bike shop guys that have done this and the bike goes down the toilet for twisties.

Sure you might get it down a drag strip a bit better but frankly mine has never seen a race track and I bet 1 out of 50 on the street ever do (well at least if you live in FL)

I'm a first tmie convert from the cruiser side so I'm probably ok with the mod. The problem is that I rode the bike before the mod and it WAS a fantastic ride. Hmmm, do I need to own 2 of them?

mike

Stretching on the street is pretty much a cosmetic thing. On the track it's a completely different issue. A properly prepped track is very sticky, and even a stretched/lowered bike can wheelie on launch.

I stretched/lowered mine a couple years ago and still like it. As for twisties, yeah they are more work, and I've got some battle wounds (scrapped lower fairings) from gettin' over on it but the way I see it, if you're running twisties that hard, I need to be on a track....same for drag racing folks and speed demons.

Stretchin', lowering, raising, chroming, fat tires and everything else is a personal expression. It's your bike, not everyone elses.
beerchug.gif

you stretch it,now you have more pressure on the rear spring because it has a longer arm[more leverage]if the spring is adjust too soft OR to weak for your weight,it will squat to quick[not a good thing]kinda like a wheel hop on a car.except on a bike it will just smoke'm real easy.when it squats you have to have enough spring tension [and comp & rebound set right]to keep the spring pushing the tire down.it's all in the set up.
I've seen stretched busa's on the street carrying the front wheel off the line with very little spin.suspension set up is everything.

you stretch it,now you have more pressure on the rear spring because it has a longer arm[more leverage]if the spring is adjust too soft OR to weak for your weight,it will squat to quick[not a good thing]kinda like a wheel hop on a car.except on a bike it will just smoke'm real easy.when it squats you have to have enough spring tension [and comp & rebound set right]to keep the spring pushing the tire down.it's all in the set up.
 I've seen stretched busa's on the street carrying the front wheel off the line with very little spin.suspension set up is everything.
hmmm, this is more of the response I guess I was looking for. Thanks.

mike

The longer the wheelbase the more it is going to resist a wheelie be cause of the leverage. It is also going to put less weight on the rear tire during the launch which will require a sticker tire to get the same results. As sadi before you are also changing the lever ratio on the shock, so changes can be made to make that up. Shocks can also be tuned for drag racing to hook it up a bit more.

Get a sticky tire out back, such as a Shinko. It'll help dramaticly. My 04' has a 1397 that is stretched 9" and lowered 2". It'll still lift the front wheel a few inches under full throttle.

You know you want to put it back to stock,just do it.
Then you can enjoy the bike for all it's worth. Every aspect of the bike has been compromised. And those bolt ons just scare me.

With your bike as is....would you feel safe takeing it to the limiter ?

You know you want to put it back to stock,just do it.
Then you can enjoy the bike for all it's worth. Every aspect of the bike has been compromised. And those bolt ons just scare me.

With your bike as is....would you feel safe takeing it to the limiter ?
Been there regularly (with quality bolt ons), and so have bikes with much more power than me! No problems or fears here.

Get a second chain. When i was using the extentions that's what i did. I think it took me 45 minutes to do the swap.

Dont listen to what a lot of people say about stretched bikes. Its kind of like people that get use to the feeling of 600's and 1000's. They have a hard time riding the busa. In tern people that get use to riding a stock busa dont like the feeling of a stretched busa. But it really comes down to the rider. For all those that love the stock or lifted busa's good for you. Those like me that love the stretched out look, good for you.

But truth is, stretching you bike does hurt cornering a little, not as much as some think. Your lean angles are somewhat changed, you take offs are somewhat changed and breaking is somewhat changed. But then again it all comes down to the rider's skill and willing to relearn the bike.
Yes if i want on my bike lowered,stretched i can roast the rear tire, can power slide it through turn or even get it to wheelie. But who cant even on a stocker? It took awhile to figure out how to make it all work together and the fell for it but now i won't even consider changing back.
A good challenge of skill i learned is take a ride down to the gap. I felt my bike was suffering from the lowered and stretched blues, but it was me. After a few miles on real twistes it all came to me. I think a few riders down there where shocked to see not only 1 stretched busa but 2 not holding back for nothing and running with the best out there.

It's really up to you, a little practice on a stretched bike you will have no problems. You just have to be willing to relearn your bike.

Stretched is VERY Functional. My brother races NHRA with his Busa and because he's done the 6" over and front end strapped, it allows him to launch harder and the front wheel, for the most part, hardly wheelies. He currently runs low to mid 9's on a stock motor Busa with air-shifter, exhaust, PC and race gas VP U4.2

here's his article in dragbike.com
Joseph Soliman's 06 Busa NHRA runs

And his 06 Busa. He's the bike in the left lane:

jay.jpg

when streched and slameed at the track , they also drop a shid load of tire preasure to flaten the tire out and give it more contact patch . That is why i bought a second bike . one of them will get streched and slammed !
beerchug.gif

Back