Stretch Hurts Handling

BBMykey

Donating Member
Registered
Forgive me if I'm being stupid but doesn't a stretch with no lowering actually raise the rear? So wouldn't a moderate stretch (2" or 3") make turn in quicker like shorter dogbones? Also it would help with decreasing wheelies. Turning radius wouldn't increase much. Two birds with one stone? What am I missing?

your increasing the wheelbase. For example. Take a fullsize quad cad 8ft bed pickup and make a circle. Then take a s10 and make a circle. BIG difference. Same with bikes longer the wheelbase longer the turn. Shorter the shorter the turn.

It's all in how you ride. When I was only 6" over I still could rail turns just fine. It's not till I extended my bike to around 11" that it started to affect it too much. The main thing is when the bike is lowered, it scrapes easily.

It's all in how you ride. When I was only 6" over I still could rail turns just fine. It's not till I extended my bike to around 11" that it started to affect it too much. The main thing is when the bike is lowered, it scrapes easily.

+1 on that

6" had no effect on your cornering ability? ??? guess it is all in how/where you ride huh?

This is absolutely true! It depends on whether you wish to ride "Slow" or "Slower"? :beerchug:

It's also true if you extend the swingarm without changing ride height you will indeed raise the rear which will change the chain pull angle giving you more "Antisquat"! The longer wheel base will decrease wheelies but the additional negative chain pull angle will increase wheel spin.

Back