stretch/shock question

newb

Registered
I just lowered and stretched my 08. I have the roaring toyz kit with the upgraded spring and 5 position lowering links. I currently have the spring preloaded to about 3/4 in from full preload. The links are one hole lower than stock(about 3/4 in at the tail). This is a very comfortable setup when riding alone but I am scared to add a passenger. Any one have experience in this department that can help out with setup? I would like to either keep the same height any safely add a passenger.

marks bike (5).JPG

marks bike (4).JPG

passanger = rub... i have the same setup... unless you ride on air it is going to rub... I have tire burn on my tail light and that is with females under 140;bs... watch out for the big girls... you are ok at slow speed but at highway speeds it wil rub... mine even rubbed solo at 150...

It's not stock but I don't know how many lbs. It came from roaring toys but I am not sure who they get them from or how many lbs. I will check my paperwork when I get home. What should I use?
Posted via Mobile Device

Do you have a front chock? Park it in the chock, get on it with passenger...have some else watch or set up a mirror, then bounce on it see how close the tail comes to the tire. Just some thing you could try.???

It's not stock but I don't know how many lbs. It came from roaring toys but I am not sure who they get them from or how many lbs. I will check my paperwork when I get home. What should I use?
Posted via Mobile Device

I have a 1000 lb rate spring. I'm lowered 2.25" in the front and 2" in the back and once I changed to this spring it didn't rub anymore with a passenger.

I have a 1000 lb rate spring. I'm lowered 2.25" in the front and 2" in the back and once I changed to this spring it didn't rub anymore with a passenger.

If he had a GEN I he wouldn't have an issue. The GEN II tail light is the problem. It's the only thing that has ever rubbed on mine.

Post a side pic... I'm stretched about 10" maybe 12" If you are only at 6" or less, i don't think you will rub. The tail light may be past the highest point of the tire. My light is right in the middle of the tire.

IMG_0463.jpg

Post a side pic... I'm stretched about 10" maybe 12" If you are only at 6" or less, i don't think you will rub. The tail light may be past the highest point of the tire. My light is right in the middle of the tire.

Man I love your bike. The best Gen II I've seen.

Do you have a front chock? Park it in the chock, get on it with passenger...have some else watch or set up a mirror, then bounce on it see how close the tail comes to the tire. Just some thing you could try.???

I tried that. I got on with the wife, stood the bike upright and bounced while looking back at it. Seemed to maintain about a 1" clearance. I was more worried about road bumps compressing the suspension further than I can make from bouncing.

I am about 9" over stock. I couldn't find anything with a lb rating for the spring. I would assume 1000 lb is about standard. Can you take a pic of your rear shock so I can compare preload? Also what kind of damage did you get when it rubbed?

Looks wise that 330 is sweet.:bowdown:

Thanks! They are huge in person. I have a friend with a 300 on a 14. He didn't think it would be that much of a difference. He was shocked how small his tire looks now. Made him want to trade up.

DSC04085.jpg

DSC04086.jpg

DSC04089.jpg

Maybe try cranking the preload down the resy of the way on that spring before getting a heavier duty one. You still have quite a bit of adjustment left.:thumbsup:

dude you have to get a new shock/spring combo or at least a new spring w/re-valved shock for passenger to ride if you want them to be comfy and you want bike to be manageable when solo...I saw night-n-day difference b/w my OEM setup and the Hyperco spring/revalved shock I got from GPW when ridn solo, and my taillight finally stopped rubbin on my tire too:thumbsup: Wifey said riding with new sus. was better than rolling on OEM everything:beerchug:

I have my bike on threaded links 2" lower in rear, a triple to drop front 3/4" n its stretched 9" over. sits good, still clears *most* speed bumps easy.

Woodwheel, Thanks for the pics. Is that your regulator/rectifier I see in the shock pic?

BigDiesel, where did you get your spring done? How much was it? I am pretty sure it is a hyperco spring on it now. Maybe revalving will slow it down enough.

For now I will crank some more preload into it but I don't want to make it a hardtail. I may have to look into revalving.

Woodwheel, Thanks for the pics. Is that your regulator/rectifier I see in the shock pic?

yup that is what you see...
as far as you spring/shock goes, you won't really know what is going to do until you put it on the rode...
Posted via Mobile Device

Back