Storms came in tonight

Again, very nice shots, Doug!

beerchug.gif

I dont know whats so not good about them. sorry. guess im clearly amateur. good job Doug, non the less. Tonya and I LOVE storms. We actually get happy when they come and hurry home if we're out, just so we can enjoy em'.

Very cool shots! Wish i had a camera that could do pics like that! I just have one of those cannon sure shot point and shoot deals. I snapped these last month when we had a funnel cloud passing through. The tornado sirens went off on the base. Crazy me, instead of hiding, i grabbed the camera and went out back...
this was the wall cloud that was passing by. The whole thing was actualy rotating slowly and had a few wispy funnels pop out of the bottom of it. Never did spawn a tornado though thankfully.

IMG_1148.jpg

IMG_1150.jpg

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1152.jpg

COOL Shots!! I was going to say it looks like you got to enjoy some Texas sized Thunder Storms, but I noticed that you are in Oklahoma. OK gets some pretty wild storms from what I hear.

I love to sit at home and listen to a good storm! Too bad I am scared of thunder...eeww.

Very cool.. Did you just open up the aperture? That really looks good.. I have a Sony A100, but have not had the op to take any cool storm pics

This strike was one of the biggest all night and I missed it... You can see how bright everything in the frame is to let you know how close and big it was...

lightning_5_31_08_014.jpg

Doug, I was hoping to extract the EXIF info from the pics, but looks like the board strips that off...

Anyway, I'm guessing you had the aperature open all the way and just waited for the lighting strike and then closed the shutter?

your not so nice pics are still way better than any of mine
laugh.gif
thanks for sharing the info, i'm going to have to get a remote trigger now
beerchug.gif

Here is the type pictures I aspire to take... This is from a storm in Va this week.... The guy that took it is an ameature (yeah right)

305489462_zugGY_L.jpg

Awesome Pics and good advice on how you took the pics.

Would keeping the shutter open only shorter time work good with Fireworks as well. I love the streaming look of fireworks.

Awesome Pics and good advice on how you took the pics.

Would keeping the shutter open only shorter time work good with Fireworks as well. I love the streaming look of fireworks.
Yep, Ive taken some fireworks shots like that before too... About 10 seconds and you will get the stream going up and the pop of the explosion in the air...

Looks like God was using a 6K HID, slightly bluish. He knows his lighting, or lightning.
thumb_up.gif

I have several more that just arent as spectacular as those above but cool non the less. I will put some of them up too....

I'm using a Nikon D200 with a 18-70mm lense. A nikon MC36 remote trigger and a tripod thats it....

Put the camera on the tripod and frame in what your wanting to shoot. On the Nikon you need to put it in manual mode and yes project on Nikons anytime your going to use the remote trigger you have to use the bulb mode. The remote has a timer or a button you can push and keep the shutter open, I do no more than 2 minutes because everything starts changing colors.. The reddish pics above were 2 minute exposures...

You can do the exact same thing by setting the shutter to say 20 or 30 seconds and then just push the pic button on the camera. The remote is better because you have no movement and also because I can just hold the button down until I want the shutter to close then let go and its saved and I instantly push the button to capture the next great strike....... The remote just makes things more manageable and faster than just using the camera button. This way it can hold it for 3 seconds or 5 minutes it my choice when to stop.....

Easy easy easy!

Now they do make a device that I would love to have hint hint hint (fathers day and Bday coming up honey) that slides onto the hotshoe.... with that one you just point the camera in the direction of the storm. There are actually pre signs to a lightning strike, this little device detects those pre strike energy buildups a nanosecond before the strike and it automatically takes the pic at the eact precise time that the lightning strikes or flashes... about 400 bucks but super duper easy then..... Every pic is a lightning pic....

Hope that helps.

cap
time for me to start playing with my camera some more. Thanks of the info.

I have to run the battery pack (MBD100) with my D100 for the remote
sad.gif
does the D200 also need require the same?

I have the battery pack but have not invested in the wireless remote yet

Randy this one is a wired remote, It wasnt very expensive either..... I have the two batterys in the grip and it last for hundreds of shots....

Back