Stock muffler mod and noise level

unixprog

Registered
I measured the noise level of my stock 2007 Busa before and after I modified the stock mufflers, using an SPL meter (C weighted setting). I placed the meter 5 feet behind the bike and made measurements at idle, 3K, and 6K RPM. The stock mufflers, without any mods, measured 94db at idle, 96db at 3K RPM, and 100db at 6K RPM. Then I removed the mufflers and measured 94db at idle, 103db at 3K RPM, and 111db at 6K RPM (this was with no mufflers). I modified the mufflers by drilling 6 (1/2") holes in the front baffle (using a lathe) and 10 (1/2") holes in the rear baffle (after removing the chrome cover). The modified mufflers measured 98db at idle, 106db at 3K RPM, and 114db at 6K RPM. I am surprised the modified mufflers are louder than if they were not there at all. I cant explain that one. Now, it has a great loud deep sound. I am very pleased. I read on this site that someone thought modified stock mufflers had an echo sound. Mine do not. I agree that after market mufflers probably make a few more ponies than mine, but very few. The sound is great. And they look really cool too. Like a gatlin gun! I will post a pic later, if anyone is interested.

Look something like this?  I really like the sound!
bowdown.gif

IMG002__Small_.JPG

Hey!!!!!!!!!!! Thats exactly what it looks like. You copied me. It sounds great huh? I agree. Now I dont have to post a pic.

Back