STILL stalling

Narcissus

Hayabusa Immortal
Registered
I was messing with the bike this morning. It kept stalling when I wiggled the wiring harness, but now I think that it's just a coincidence.

After pulling the airbox off to check the injector connectors, it stopped stalling. I even disconnected two injectors and it kept running.

Anyone experience this. This has been going on FOREVER! I thought it was a bad pump, then kinked hoses, then wiring... nothing. It's so intermittent. It also just gets blips of power loss, like it runs then quickly blips, runs, blips... then stalls if it blips for just long enough.

I suspect there may be an issue with the crank case vent, since it stopped stalling when I removed the box... but maybe there is something else worth checking? I'll see if I can check compression this weekend when I have time.

guns.gif
stalling

Hummmm. sounds like its a loose wire alright...

I would check...

1. spark plugs, make sure they are tight and good.
2. I would go back to the wireing harness and check every wire one by one. (It really does sound like a loose connection.)
3. Check TPS make sure that is good to go.
4. Run Some Motorcycle 44K through it...
5. Disconnect any PC you have.

I would try to duplicate it in any way you can... It would be much easier to TS if you could duplicate the issue. I would spend my time doing that first... Rather than waste time trying this that and everything else.

OK, I dug further into it. It's definitely electrical. I checked the wiring harness, uncovered several wires and they are ok.

It still stalls intermittently, sometimes running fine for several minutes, then stalling over and over.

When it does, I keep hearing a clicking noise. I suspect a bad relay in the starter circuit (note the bike in in neutral and kickstand up when testing, so kickstand switch isn't the problem).

I've heard of issues with relays getting corroded over time and this happening. Since I'm not near the bike right now, would anyone have a clue which relay and where I should look when I get home?

BTW...
-Spark plugs are ok
-Wiring (so far) is ok
-TPS is dead on
-No fuel issues (does not slowly stall, it's definitely a quick instant on/off stall)
-Sold my PC and went all-stock years ago

When it does, I keep hearing a clicking noise. I suspect a bad relay in the starter circuit (note the bike in in neutral and kickstand up when testing, so kickstand switch isn't the problem).
Could it be the stand switch itself going bad?? Or have come loose??

Just an idea....

Might be... I'll dig into that, but I'm thinking that since it's in neutral, it shouldn't affect the circuit. Will have to see tomorrow evening when I have time.

Reaching here but have you checked the tip over sensor... bracket might be broke or loose. GL

Reaching here but have you checked the tip over sensor... bracket might be broke or loose. GL
He's right... i've seen people talk about their switches becomeing loose or the bracket moves and causes the switch to be in the wrong position... could be worth looking into...
pillepalle.gif

AGH! Now I can't get it stall anymore, no matter how many wires or connectors I play with. Watch me put it all together and go riding only to get it to start stalling a mile down the road. This thing is killing me!
cursin.gif

Well, I ran it about 20 minutes straight tonight. After taking the front cowling off and disconnecting and checking the connectors and wires, it had no stalling whatsoever.

So, thinking back... last time I filled up, the dash went crazy on me. The fuel gauge was maxed out and RPMs showed about 2K low (0 rpms at idle). At this point, I am suspecting that either 1) I had bad contact on one of the leads to the connectors; 2) the wires and connectors were too tight, especially with the HID ballast stuffed in there; or both.

I think I will just file all the leads, dab a bit of dielectric on each one, and double check any connectors for a frayed wire.

Oh well, guess I should expect something like this after seven years of service and no weather-proof connectors. I hope I don't encounter this again after it's all back together.

I think I'll be making the run to Talamina next weekend after all of this. I haven't been on a leisurely ride for far too long.
tounge.gif

Hope everthing work ok for you, on my buddies bike i had a similer problem, and it hasn't acked back up since we cleaned all the connections!

I had an MPS kill switch which I disabled a few years back (stupid thing either came out while riding or... when I went down once, the cable snapped off, leaving the connector attached and engine running).

The solder was corroded and half the leads broken. It was probably just enough that it was causing an instant disconnect without causing an FI error.

Anyway, it's all back together again... just in time for the heavy rain we're having right now! Yay!
cool.gif

Rode about an hour tonight. No stalling, no cutting out, stayed smooth even going over bumps. I'm pretty sure it was that bad wire from the kill switch causing all my problems. Looks like it's finally fixed for good (knock on wood).

Back