Stator rotor bad?

GXR1147

Registered
Has anyone ever seen a situation where the rotor for the stator actually fail? What are the symptoms can surface if so? What about rubbing marks from it looking like it was rubbing on the stator? What can happen from contact?

My situation is the bike charges great when cold (14.3+ V at the battery) but once it warms up and the fan kicks on it will draw the battery down and bringing the RPM’s up only nets about half a volt increase at the battery.

BF16F3D1-EF15-426C-9E85-26F875306DB0.jpeg

Already did. My fluke 87V cuts out at 65 volts and I have that well before 5,000. Ohms was .2-.3 after subtracting my .2 from the leads. My thought is if there’s supposed to any amps and if I’m not gettin enough amps. Stator is the upgraded one (500watts iirc) from frank @ powerhouse and the rectifier/regulator is a new mosfet piece from him as well (done at the same time). Even made my own harness to bypass the factory harness (to eliminate that as the issue) as a test to rule that out. No legs are grounded either.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity have you ruled out the fans going bad? I have seen a fan starting to go bad drawing way more amprage which would cause issues.
This is a good point and a possible cause for excessive current draw as Viper has stated.
Put an ammeter on the fan harness, may very well be the cause, and if not the cause you just ruled out one more piece of the puzzle!

This is a good point and a possible cause for excessive current draw as Viper has stated.
Put an ammeter on the fan harness, may very well be the cause, and if not the cause you just ruled out one more piece of the puzzle!
I remember some of his old post he had done it all and chased every option thought of. If I was him I would throw one on I’m sure you could find one cheap.

Fan pulled 5-6 amps. I borrowed a known good fan from a friend and it pull .1 amps more then mine. I haven’t been able to get time to work on it for a while and just getting back to it. Mathewrussell52, correct, I went through everything that others mentioned. That’s why I was wondering about the rotor. It’s the one thing that was never mentioned and I have had a hard time finding any information on any issues that can come from them. I tried testing on a evening that was 50* out and it was to cool. The fan cooled the engine to quickly and shut off before the non charging issues showed up so I stopped messing with it during the winter. Last Monday I got back on it while it was 70* out and the problem started doing its thing.

Welp, got a rotor and put it on. Zero change. About ready to kick this unridable pos off a cliff...

You said bringing the rpms up doesn't help, how high are you bringing them? And have you tested the rectifier?

Back