Stator cover help

MrOrangePants

Registered
Readers Digest version:
biggrin.gif

While changing the magnito cover on my '01, I noticed 2-3 ounces of oil pour out when I pulled off the cover.  Is this normal? If not, what has to be done?

-Thanks for the input!

Full story:
Bought the bike with 1000 miles. Never down, but I swerved off the road and laid it down in the sand while we were cruising through Orlando.  The bike went down softly, but there were scratches similar to the results of a sandblaster, which is why I swapped out the cover.

<!--EDIT|MrOrangePants
Reason for Edit: None given...|1082340546 -->

that is normal, oil will be in the cover, thats why there is a gasket between the engine magnito cover & the engine. just be carefull when putting the cover back, keep your fingures away from between the cover & the engine, that magnet is really strong & it will hurt alot.

Very strong! I have changed my stator cover twice now and don't want to do it again!

(Big Sigh) Thanks guys! I was getting worried that I might need some seal on the engine replaced.

...now back to your regular scheduled broadcast
biggrin.gif

Very strong!  I have changed my stator cover twice now and don't want to do it again!
true i pinched my middle finger in that and that poop hurt
Nice avatar, Phatjoe!
spank you very much big bs thats angel veil f.y.i. my favorite skripper cant post the website dont want no trouble but i will say its a .net figure the rest holla at yo boy

<!--EDIT|phatjoe
Reason for Edit: None given...|1082345907 -->

Very strong!  I have changed my stator cover twice now and don't want to do it again!
true i pinched my middle finger in that and that poop hurt
Nice avatar, Phatjoe!
spank you very much big bs thats angel veil f.y.i. my favorite skripper cant post the website dont want no trouble but i will say its a .net figure the rest holla at yo boy
I think I got it, 'bra!

Ya the stator cover change sucks. I have done it twice in a week. The first time I put it on after chroming I did not seal the gasket right and it was leaking a little so I pulled it off and resealed it, hopefully it worked this time. I did not have a problem with the right side.

Hey fellas,

I've got to change my stator cover gasket tonight as it's leaking oil out at the bottom of the cover from what I can tell and I think it's running down the motor and just getting everywhere. What a mess!

I'm glad I read about the magnet thing as I'd hate to smash my finger in there. Is there any other advice you can give...I'm gonna use a bit of Permatex Hylomar to make sure I don't have any leaks, but any additional information you could provide would be appreciated.

I changed the gasket last night...It was very simple...After I removed the bolts the cover just popped right off...No fuss no muss really...Just had to pull the old gasket away...It was pretty brittle. After that I slapped the new gaskets on (I used 2) along with the hylomar for extra measure and snugged all the bolts down.

It's raining like hell around here, so I won't get a chance to ride it and check it for leaks until tonight. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Back