Problem with chrome stator cover

orosado79

Registered
I need advice!

I recently exchanged my stator cover with a chrome one. It's just the oem cover chromed. Did a simple swap, put a new gasket and bolted everything back on. Now I have a rattle sound coming out of the stator, almost like something is hitting/rubbing. I removed the cover again thinking maybe something came loose, but everything was tight, the coil doesn't have any play so what can this be?

I don't see any signs of wear, to indicate if anything is hitting inside. I put the cover back on and the sound is still there. Could this have something to do with the chrome? Anybody had this issue before?

either the stator, or the pick up is not tight.

Was the inside of cover chromed also?

either the stator, or the pick up is not tight.

Was the inside of cover chromed also?

Were you able to use the original locating pins (dowels) that were used when the cover was stock? Many times the chromers chrome the dowel pin holes (which become too small) and customers leave them out. This is a mistake. If this is the case, you are going to have to pull the cover, make those holes big enough to accept the dowel pins again, and re-install the cover. This will put it back in perfect alignment with the rotor . . . :whistle:

Thats where i was heading!
Were you able to use the original locating pins (dowels) that were used when the cover was stock? Many times the chromers chrome the dowel pin holes (which become too small) and customers leave them out. This is a mistake. If this is the case, you are going to have to pull the cover, make those holes big enough to accept the dowel pins again, and re-install the cover. This will put it back in perfect alignment with the rotor . . . :whistle:

Oh and Chrome dont get you home! :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:
I knew eventually someone was going to say something about the chrome! :laugh:. To each his own, as they say. I like shiny things, what can I say!

As for the chrome, yes the whole piece was chromed. I did have to shave off a little in one hole to fit the dowel back, the other was fine since the exchange they sent me in chrome had the dowel in it, so I removed the chrome dowel and put my stock that I kept. I'm wondering if it is any build up of chrome inside the housing that may be hitting the rotor.

Take it back off and make sure everything is tight, you may not have evrything tight at this point!
I knew eventually someone was going to say something about the chrome! :laugh:. To each his own, as they say. I like shiny things, what can I say!

As for the chrome, yes the whole piece was chromed. I did have to shave off a little in one hole to fit the dowel back, the other was fine since the exchange they sent me in chrome had the dowel in it, so I removed the chrome dowel and put my stock that I kept. I'm wondering if it is any build up of chrome inside the housing that may be hitting the rotor.

Personally, I'd dremal any Chrome of the mating surfaces. If its .not good and even, it might not seal properly and could pit later creating more issues down the line. Ribbit.

Smellphone via Forum Runner

Thanks for the replies! I solved the problem. I had a stock cover laying around so I took off the chrome and compaired surfaces and dowel depth. The dowels were sitting a hair higher than in stock. Did some extra dremelling in the holes and presto! No more knocking sounds. Thanks guys! :beerchug:

Back