sprockets

big ed

Donating Member
Registered
I have a 06 busa with billet velocity stacks,yosh rs-3 4-2-1 system,GI atre,remapped,small air box mod,shnitz air tube seal,k/n filter,pair valve blocked off. & im just not happy with the get up around town.Does anyone suggest any sprocket combos?

you want it to wheelie easier ? run a 17/42 or 17/43
you want it to stay up with the smaller bikes in the 1/8 then run something like a
16/43 or 16/42
there's a lot of good stuff about sprockets on here.

Thanks,my busa is very low so wheelies are not desired.but there is a few bikes in the area i would'nt mind killing at the lights.so far they cant touch me on the high end.(above 8,000 rpm)

i would go with the 16/43 to take them out in the short runs. but you will lose on the top end. i think you would be around the 175 mph range with this setup. maybe a little higher with a tre installed.

I have a 16/43 and it romps. Put the 43 on your bike first and see what you think .

(ranman @ Dec. 10 2006,13:22) 16/42 here love it real quick in the low.
+1
super.gif

It ROMPS in 1st & 2nd. The key will be keeping the front end down!
laugh.gif

I am working on a 16/43 combo sprocket sale w/ or without chain, check back here later.......

Easiest thing is to go -1 on the front (16-tooth). You don't have to lengthen your chain, because the front sprocket is smaller. I wouldn't go any smaller than that because it changes the ramp angle of the chain and can wear it prematurely. That, and it might rub a little more since the diameter is smaller. Going to a 16 on the front is similar to going to a 42.5 on the rear (obviously not an option), so most people use either a 42 or a 43.

17/40 (stock gearing), you're at 2.35:1 gearing

17/42 (+2 rear), 2.47:1 gearing
16/40 (-1 front), 2.50:1 gearing
17/43 (+3 rear), 2.53:1 gearing

That's only about a 6% change, so it won't throw your speedo off too much, and you will notice a gain. Then, when that gets old, go to a 42/43 on the rear.

Since the rear sprocket will be getting larger, chances are you'll need a longer chain to support it.

16/42 = 2.625:1 gearing
16/43 = 2.688:1 gearing

The difference between the two is less than 3%, so it's a matter of price and availability (or personal preference).

If you choose to go with the 16/43 gearing (that's what I've got), you'll scream on the freeway like you're in 5th gear because it changed the gearing by almost 14.4%. You'll be at around 160 MPH at 10,200 RPM in 6th gear.

I've ran it at the track (road course, not drag), and didn't have much of a problem with it wheelying. Yes, it would come up, but it wasn't like it was gonna buck me off or anything. Once you get used to it, you'll keep the front from coming up more than an inch or two.

(GPW @ Dec. 11 2006,05:24) I am working on a 16/43 combo sprocket sale w/ or without chain, check back here later.......
Glad I used the search function, just the information I was looking for. Greg, please keep me posted, in addition to my other planned mod's I am interested in doing a 520 chain conversion.

I went to the 17/42. and for an everyday rider, I love it. shortens first gear a little (Busa has a damn tall 1st) and wasn't so drastic that it ruined MPG, or the ability to keep the front wheel n the ground (when i want it there)

Does anyone have any suggestions for a big guy combo. I'm 250 in shorts. I'm using 16/42 rite now and it took off about 4 to 5 mph in the 1/4. Is 17/43 a better combo for me?

I installed the 16 tooth & it really woke up.next I wanna try the 42 tooth rear,but thats on the Xmas list.Thank you guys for the help & support & your time.
bowdown.gif

Im 230 lbs and have the 17-43 combo. Woke the bike up. May consider a 16-43 for you though..

I'm working on doing a Big Bore and a Wet shot
super.gif

Thinking bout 18-19 front 43-45 rear
beerchug.gif

those big cogs are nice with a power adder

i have 16-19 (never used the 16)
and 39-45,with a 2 '' adjustment slot i can change the wheelbase and gearing to suit my needs

IM000019_edited.jpg

when the bike is this short and tall,the spray is rather exciting !

(BA BUSA @ Jan. 01 2007,12:14) I'm working on doing a Big Bore and a Wet shot  
super.gif

Thinking bout 18-19 front 43-45 rear
beerchug.gif
with the big bore and NOS I thought that 18/38 would be good for top end. 18/43for everyday (smaking BAbusa's a$$) would be right.
bluegrab.gif

Back