Sprockets?  What's better -1 or +3

beast619

Registered
Im due for new sprockets. This will be the first aftermarket set since new. I wanted to lower the gearing a bit. What's better -1 in front (16) or +3 in back (43).

I looked up the ratios, it looks like they are very similar 2.50 compared to 2.53.

Any suggestions?

I went with -1, but +3 is supposed to be easier on the chain...

I don't really think it makes that much of a difference, I have never had an issue...

-1 will give you a theoretical top speed of 189.23
+3 will give you a theoretical top speed of 187.03

Be a little quicker with +3 then a -1 in the quarter probably, but not much.

<!--EDIT|Cloud9
Reason for Edit: None given...|1112829976 -->

That answer is dependentent on a few different factors, mainly being how much mods you have done or will be doing to increase horsepower output to the rear wheel.

The more tourque being placed on the wheel translates into greater stress factors on your chain. With a smaller diameter front sprocket, you are increasing the movement of the individual links as they rotate around the front sprocket. These two factors combined, equates to significantly higher wear on the chain.

A lot of guys running turbos were actually increasing the size of the front sprocket.

My suggestion would be to increase the size of the rear sprocket first.

That answer is dependentent on a few different factors, mainly being how much mods you have done or will be doing to increase horsepower output to the rear wheel.  

The more tourque being placed on the wheel translates into greater stress factors on your chain.  With a smaller diameter front sprocket, you are increasing the movement of the individual links as they rotate around the front sprocket.  These two factors combined, equates to significantly higher wear on the chain.

A lot of guys running turbos were actually increasing the size of the front sprocket.

My suggestion would be to increase the size of the rear sprocket first.

misread your quote... I thought you had put go bigger in front...

<!--EDIT|Cloud9
Reason for Edit: "I am a dumbass"|1112834101 -->

+3 is easier on the chain
wink.gif

I went up 2t on the rear, just perfect for me. However, made 1st gear even more unmanagible then it was stock. Watch out if you have a sticky tire on the back....
wow.gif

Do you have to run longer than the std 112 links when using a 43 rear ? Talking newer chain w/o much if any stretch

no need to change chain, going 16t on the front would lengthen the wheelbase 3/8", going 43t on the rear would shorten wheelbase 3/8". Doing both, well.....do the math...no change. If you like twisties, 43t on the rear and a shorter wheelbase will let her fall a little faster side to side. Dragracer? 16 on the front a little easier on the clutch when launching. Both, blistering acceleration and great wheelie action.

<!--EDIT|moondog
Reason for Edit: None given...|1112970790 -->

added 42 in rear and 16 on front. MAN OH MAN... what a world of difference. i put it all back together went around the block let me tell you. You better have your throttle under good control. she wants to lift up as if in a tornado or something. but its sweet. lots of torque. like it a lot cant wait to actually ride it been shiddy wheather here rainy, haily, possibly snow lol

W.O.W._05_007.jpg

added 42 in rear and 16 on front. MAN OH MAN... what a world of difference. i put it all back together went around the block let me tell you. You better have your throttle under good control. she wants to lift up as if in a tornado or something. but its sweet. lots of torque. like it a lot cant wait to actually ride it been shiddy wheather here rainy, haily, possibly snow lol
That same storm rolled through here early this morning. It's pretty bad, but over in a couple hours. Cold front behind it, high tomorrow only 55? Last Saturday it was 80. WTF?

I run a 16/42 setup, it changed the overall feel of the bike and makes it feel alive again after getting used to the stock power. If you are like me and don't need to run 180+ mph this is a great setup. (highly recommend a yellobox or speedohealer if you change the sprockets, speedo will be registering faster than you are going so you will be putting more miles on the odometer than you have actually ridden.)

Back