Brakes and other maintenance

GAmedic

Registered
Gonna be looking into a complete brake overhaul, clutch replacement, and chain / sprocket replacements. Couple of question beforehand:

1. Will the factory Brembo front calipers mount directly to my forks or will I need different forks?

2. What are the best brake pads in your opinion?

3. OEM sprockets and chain or aftermarket? What brand aftermarket?

4. OEM or Barnett clutch?

1. Yes
2. Ebc HH "Extreme Pro" ceramic embedded pads. Different from standard HH pads.
And they Will stop you sooner!
Do ss lines too, as they really improve the lever feel, but do Not stop you sooner.
3. EK chain, SuperSprox, Vortex, and lots of other good options.
4. Either is good, especially for just street riding

I've run EBC pads in the past which is the direction I was probably gonna go but wanted other opinions. Most of my riding is street and mountain trips as often as I can make it up there. That brings me to another question:

Will the Brembo master cylinder accept my current aftermarket levers?

I've run EBC pads in the past which is the direction I was probably gonna go but wanted other opinions. Most of my riding is street and mountain trips as often as I can make it up there. That brings me to another question:

Will the Brembo master cylinder accept my current aftermarket levers?

I'm not positive, but I don't think so.

The Brembo masters are great update in almost every respect , except , with stock top plate + triple they will foul against the inner panels on the way to full lock . This is in regards to the RCS Brembo , the standard forged radial M/ Cyl .
Cannot say for the billet masters .
I think , a master cylinder that uses the conventional form design like the stockers , would be ideal . Maybe Beringer have a suitable ratio , ideally you would want to be aiming at 19 mm piston set up , so 19 x 18 for extra feel or 19 x 20 for power . I actually run a 17mm piston setup with my front Brembo calipers , because I wanted more feel along with power .
Hope this helps !
Toad

I don't know much about sizes and whatnot. I know I want the Brembo front calipers and braided lines combined with great pads. That alone will probably suit me and my riding style just fine.

If I have to put my current levers on the shelf because I can't use them with a certain part, I wont use that certain part. I'll keep my current master cylinder and levers.

Also in swapping out to Brembo calipers, does it matter that I don't have ABS?
So, you want the brembo calipers that come on the newer busas from the factory? I always heard they are not as good as the expensive aftermarket brembos. There was no busas with factory brembos Back when I upgraded my calipers, So I just got a set of tokico mono blocks from a gsxr1000 and put the pads sixpack recommended above. Now, I think you are missing out wanting to keep your OEM master cylinder, just because you want to keep your ASV levers. Don’t get me wrong, I loved my ASVs, but if I remember correctly, they offer a lever for brembo MC and brembo has a short lever option as well. Have fun wrenching.

3. OEM sprockets and chain or aftermarket? What brand aftermarket?

4. OEM or Barnett clutch?

EK 3D chain https://hayabusa.org/forum/threads/need-a-new-chain-zzz-530-discontinued.193645/page-2

Aluminum Vortex is the lightest sprocket. I don't think any aluminum sprocket lasts better than the next. My experience has been two aluminum rears to one steel front. Don't get an aluminum front. Supersprox steel front is good.

I considered using a aftermarket clutch plates but I was told the fibers are cardboard. They're meant for one day at the track. Much longer and they will deteriorate rapidly. Don't get a race clutch unless you are racing and changing clutches every time you go to the track.

Back