Sprocket sizes??

hifibob

Registered
Just curious if any of you guys changed your sprockets on your stage 1 bikes and what did you do?? I'm into turbo cars and typically the shorter gears do wonders for spooling and loading the turbo. Any recommendations or should I keep the stock configuration?

Have a 43t on mine, have yet to find out what's going to happen though. I'm still waiting for dry roads. :laugh:

I was -1/+2 before the stage 1 for the frequent drag strip visits. I went back to 0/0 for the stage 1 and it is streetable. I don't have too much trouble with control and breaking traction during normal everyday riding if I don't hammer the throttle.

+1 in the front will help cruise at highway speeds around 79ish mph and still be just under boost. My .02 is leave stock gearing if that is what you have, and see if you can hook up and control the rear tire on the streets where you live. I did not run out and drop $65 for new gearing. I tried what I had and its working so far.

Like some of the others I had 16/42 (2007 bike) and now I have the stock front and a +1...can't say how they ride yet but the 16 ran out rather quick. Try it for yourself the sprokets aren't that expensive in the big picture.

Wrong...For a turbo bike a taller gear will load the turbo quicker and with all that torque it will pull a taller gear nicely.

18-38 here.

Hey Lawson,.......sounds as if you have ridden a turbo bike or two? :poke:

:laugh:

19-45...out on the interstate it still will light the tire up in 3rd and 4th on 14lb so thats 130-150MPH we are talking with a 7 over stretch but I have recently move it in 2 inches....I also have a big turbo that pulls really hard up top. Probably will switch to a 40-42 on the back eventually just to see how that works....If its spinning like this at 14lb its surely going to spin worse at 18lb.

17/40 or taller. I had a 16/40 to make up for my 290#s plus gear, big mistake. It went through 5th gear by the 1000ft mark. It would not hook up at all on the strip. I run a 003 shinko, 6" over, 8psi in the rear. Short gearing was useless for me, I only ran .2 seconds faster than stock. I went back to stock gearing and ran almost 1 second quicker. A small turbo on stage 1 kits spools quack and don't need any help getting off of the line, because the torque does the work. The power has a linear transfer with taller gearing which equals a controlled launch with more traction. With short gearing on the street a piped 1k will have you wishing for less power.

Wow, so many answers.. I think I'll keep it stock for now and see what she does.. I also have 18" rim and tires which might be slightly talller than stock.. Thanks for the input fellas..

Back