Sprocket Ratios on Turbo Bikes

GSX1300R-T

Members For Members
Donating Member
Registered
Hey Guys,.........facts and experienced answers only PLEASE!! Talking with a friend from the ORG,......he stated to add 1 tooth to the front to my currently stock(17/40) sprocket setup. I realize this will make the bike a little less wheelie prone and help "load" the turbo quicker. Would switching to the Gen 2 setup (18/43) work against me or make the bike that much quicker?? Thanks for the input!!

prior to the turbo I had a -1 in front and +2 in back...after turbo I rode it stock front and +2 in rear...now I have +1 in front and +2 in rear and I like it the best. I ran out of first gear quick and then quicker with the turbo. I went with the +1 in front based on guys advice from here and it is what I would reccomend. I am a inexperienced racer...some guys may manage the throttle better and the stock or -1 up front is best for them.

I guess it depends what you're trying to do. For basic street turbo duty 18/40 is common for a gen1 and 19/43 for gen2. The "+1" in the front just makes things a little more manageable. Boost psi also can be a factor and CR. Low compression off boost feels sluggish with the +1 setup until you start building boost. Some like it that way some don't.

I run 17/40 and race the bike nearly every week. It is manageable although I am only 4" over with 247 hp at 6 lbs. The front wants to carry quite a ways out.

I had 17/43 and could not keep the front down at all.

17/40 but thinking about switching to an 18 because of wheel spin. I have a 6'' stretch and I'm a 135 pounds. What should I do anybody please chime in:whistle:

I know they say with a turbo set up you would gear up instead of down. Me being used to asperated stuff its just hard to go higher than stock gearing.

Well,..........after a little more thinking about this,........I sent my new 40T Driven rear sprocket back in exchange of a 43T. 18/43 will be my ratio. Worse case,........I'll relearn to ride it!! Heck........after a couple of months of not riding,........I have to relearn to ride it anyway!!!:laugh:

Rick,

When the boost kicks in the higher gearing does not seem like enough. Admittedly, I am not aggressive as I am an ET racer and try to be as consistent as possible. My bike is easily capable of 8.70's with a rider like Jeremy Teasley on it, yet I run 9.20's all day long leaving the line at 5500 rpms with 1.51 60'. I can tell you with 17/40 gearing my front wheel carries 3 inches off the ground through 2nd gear on a good pass.

When I first installed the turbo 3 years ago, I kept the 16/43 set up I had when running without the turbo. For my riding style there was no way I could keep the front end down regardless of what rpm I left at.

Everyone is different, their goals as to what they want to run dicatates the riding style and consequently their gearing. Find what is comfortable for you.

that's -1.5% change from stock.. hardly seems worth it.

3 mph faster in 6th at 10,000 rpm.

With a turbo, you have to gear up. Ive been told that it puts more of a load on the turbo.....which is what the turbo likes. Ive also been told that the bigger front sprocket gives you a little more torque. I dont know if it is true or not. The bike is easier to handle with a 19 front sprocket at 20-25lbs of boost. Ask the pros what front sprocket they run. You'll be suprised by some of their answers.

Ok, this seems to be all over the place. What, in your opinion, would be a good setup for a turbo bike NOT on the drag track. I plan on mine being a daily driver and would like a good setup that doesn't put me in the air every time I take off.

I'm going to keep the 17/40 for now and when I get the 2-step I'll try the 19/40 or 19/43. I do a lot of street riding/racing.:beerchug:

19/42 for the street

So I take it from the post above that my stock gearing on my 07 should be 16/43?

If this is correct do I really need to purchase a new rear sprocket just to go down 1 tooth?

One more question: Will I have problems fitting my stock chain back when going up 3 teeth on the front sprocket?

Thanks for your input BATTMAM!! :beerchug:

Back