guys back me up here pleaaaase! sprocket controvesy

i cant wait:thumbsup::thumbsup:can anyone tell or show me how to find out PERCISELY how much my rpm will increase with the 43?

There is such a thing as too much gear. A high hp motor will quite often require less gear and even run quicker times and faster mph.

melodic, great answer man. just to be clear, me and another busa riding perfectly side by side, same gear. busa 1 has a 17/40 and busa 2 has a 17/43 setup, we both decide to open up the throttle at the EXACT same time for 3 seconds, who ends up ahead of the other in 3 seconds? busa 1 or busa 2?:beerchug:
Some of these guys are drag racers and techie types..so they're giving you the tech answers. In simple laymans terms side by side, same exact bikes, the one with the 43 rear will walk away from the one with the 40...in every gear, at any speed, always. The only time the taller gearing helps is the very top speeds, mpg, and keeping engine vibes down. You can go too low with gearing....but it has to be pretty extreme to actually slow the bike down in normal type roll on races :laugh:

Shogun here's a gear/speed calculator that will answer exactly the questions you have about gearing/speeds/rpm's this is already set-up for the first gen busa...just type in the rear gear changes and it'll tell you everything you want to know. Its the shiznit :thumbsup:

Last edited:
depends i run stock gearing on a turbo bike just to hook up. 43 rear is good for minor mods that wont cause the bike to break lose in 3rd

ok, im having this debate with my freind, he says that a 17/40 gearing setup will do quarter mile faster than a 17/43 setup. he also claims that that bike A with the 17/40 setup will beat bike B with a 17/43 set-up in a quarter mile race.

DOESNT THE BIKE WITH THE BIGGER REAR SPROCKET GET TO 60MPH FASTER THAN THE BIKE WITH THE SMALLER REAR SPROCKET?:whistle::thumbsup::beerchug:

On a Busa with everything else being equal...the bike with 17/43 is gonna beat the bike with the 17/40 EVERYTIME in the 1/4 mile :thumbsup:

Perhaps your friend is just confusing front sprockets with rear(although he'd have to be a pretty big dumbass). Going to less teeth on the front increases acceleration while going to more teeth on the rear increases acceleration. Maybe he's confusing the two. Going to a 43 tooth rear sprocket is going to increase your rpms by roughly 11%. So at a speed where you were normally turning say 3500rpms, you'd be turning around 3800-3900 with the 43 tooth. It would also cut your "theoredical" top speed from around 204 to around 185, assumming the stock rev limiter. Hope this explains it for ya.

so what makes a bigger rear sprocket give better acceleration. is it the diameter? or the gain in rpms. if its the gain in rpms why not just keep your stock 40t and keep the revs up 11% or so like the 43 would do..????

i got a v4 speedohealer from pasnit on the way:) so, can someone please answer my question in my post above. please and thank you.:thumbsup:

so what makes a bigger rear sprocket give better acceleration. is it the diameter? or the gain in rpms. if its the gain in rpms why not just keep your stock 40t and keep the revs up 11% or so like the 43 would do..????

The larger diameter rear sprocket makes it easier for the engine to turn the rear wheel.

just what i wanted to hear, busa yo da man! uve taught me how to cut a chain multiple times and now this:):laugh:

that statement tells me that you really arent understanding why or how this works . I'm sure there are better write ups out there than what I'm about to say but I'm going to try to keep it simple to help ya get it bro:thumbsup: Picture this....We're gonna pretend that there is no transmission or gears, just an engine(kinda like on a little go cart)The output shaft on the engine has a sprocket on it the same size as the sprocket on the wheel so when the engines output shaft makes one complete turn...so does the wheel. Now, double the size of the sprocket on the wheel and for every full revolution the engine makes, the wheel now makes two revolutions. This means that the back wheel will start rotating faster(greater acceleration) but will ultimately only be able to rotate at half the speed that it would before(lower top speed). Now if you take that same set up and put a sprocket on the wheel that is only half the size of the engine sprocket, then it will be slower to build speed(less acceleration) but will be able to rotate at twice the speed of the engine(Higher top speed).
Now these same results can be had by increasing or decreasing the size of the engine sprocket as well, although it would have the opposite effect because you're changing the diameter of the "drive gear" instead of the "driven gear". Hope that makes it a little easier to visualize. Even if it doesnt, the bottome line is that you were right and your buddy was wrong.:beerchug:

hehe i had a feeling i was right. thanks alot for the great reply troy. but i have just one question. example: i thought it would make more sense if for every 2 revolutions the 2 inch engine sprocket makes the 4inch wheel sprocket would have to make 1, since it is twice the size and it take more to rotate it. u get what im trying to say? this is where i am getting confused. thanks!:bowdown:

Last edited:
hehe i had a feeling i was right. thanks alot for the great reply troy. but i have just one question. example: i thought it would make more sense if for every 2 revolutions the 2 inch engine sprocket makes the 4inch wheel sprocket would have to make 1, since it is twice the size and it take more to rotate it. u get what im trying to say? this is where i am getting confused. thanks!:bowdown:

You're right, I was using a set up with 2 equally sized sprockets just to simplify. In reality the rear sprocket is already quit larger than the front but making it even larger will help accleration/hurt top speed. Like I said...I was just over simplifing.:thumbsup:

Back