Sprockets... not for wheelies

I ran that for about 15 K . It made the bike sluggish and didn't really help gas mileage. My Gen I really liked 4K for gas mileage, so throwing it below 4K at highway speed cost me a little bit.

Overall it would not have been a big issue in the twisties or on long hauls, just didn't really improve anything over the stock configuration.

Just curious, what sort of benifits do you expect to gain from taller gearing?

Was looking to improve trip mileage... Nothing dramatic, just move it up into the 50's. From what "dad" says, I think I'll just stay on the stock setup.

Well before you settle on anything just do some quick test. I don't even know how accurate an indicator the on-board mileage calc is. But just put it up in one of the trip odo's and take a 20 -30 mile ride. Run 4K and watch, it should indicate 50 MPG on a stock ride. Then raise it and lower it to say 3.7 K and 4.3 K and watch the change.

From my experience try to stay around 4K. It seemed to be my '06 sweet spot.

Well before you settle on anything just do some quick test. I don't even know how accurate an indicator the on-board mileage calc is. But just put it up in one of the trip odo's and take a 20 -30 mile ride. Run 4K and watch, it should indicate 50 MPG on a stock ride. Then raise it and lower it to say 3.7 K and 4.3 K and watch the change.

From my experience try to stay around 4K. It seemed to be my '06 sweet spot.

Just keep in mind that the odometer will change with the gearing...I'm trying to think where it reads on the busa's, maybe the tranny~?~

If you go with a higher gear, the transmission is not winding an many miles as your tires are. This results in the odometer not showing as many miles and makes your gas mileage not look so good...

On the other side of the scale, if you go 2 up in the rear...it makes your trip mileage click off faster and looks like you are getting great mileage, ran into this on a few different bikes...and also in my Jeep. Went from 307 to 411 gears and gained 80 miles per tank per the odometer, LoL, but I'm sure a true gain was probably not the case unless it was just starving for power before~!~

Only time I know this is not the case is on bikes where the odometer is read straight from the wheels

Last edited:
I run 18/40. Making the bike a bit sluggish is a relative term. I can still pull the front tire off the ground in second gear when I want to. On the long hauls, the reduced vibration from lower RPMs is noticable in a good way. I don't know if you'll get up into the 50s for fuel mieage, but it will give you a couple of more MPG. You should get a speedohealer if you are going to change the tooth count.

Last edited:
I just changed from stock set-up to 17/43 on my 02. I love it. Now I just learned that I need cush rubbers. Maybe after that I can get the front tire up. Tried it and it won't go.

Anyone in New Zealand gota 15 t front for a 2008 Hayabusa? I need it for my Busa powered Mini Pick Up. gota 16 - 49 running 17" low profiles on the skyline rear.

Back