Chain length

Wild07

Registered
I've already searched, and didnt find the answer I was looking for, so here we go...

I've got a 4-6 over arm, with a 16/42 gear setup and need a new chain n sprockets. The chain I have now I kinda screwed up and pieced together to get me through the fall last year and early spring. Last time I looked at it, I was too lazy to actually count the pins, but counted plates and it came out to 61 plates, which should be 122 links, right? I had a brain fart and that chain is pushing it as far as too short, and I'd rather not go down that road again. I'm replacing my RK and Vortex setup with a EK ZZZ and Supersprox/Vortex sprockets in the same tooth count. Should I go with a 130 llink chain and have to break a few links off to have for spares should I decide to go longer or bigger gear, or a 150 link and have a bunch for spares?

I like the fact that the bike sits on the short end of my adjustment in my arm, but want to keep the possibility to go up to a bigger gear if I choose to, but I'm afraid that a 130 link will put me way out on the adjusters with my 16/42.

I extended my 08 6" and got a 135 link chain. It has 16/43 gears and I had to take out 6 or 7 links ,so the 135 link chain sould be plenty for ya.

Back