Sprocket 101

delock

Registered
Can someone explain to me about sprockets. I'm going back to stock from a 48 teeth that was on the bike when I brought it.

But...I would like to know the reasons people change their sprockets from stock!

Either for more acceleration...or for more top speed :beerchug:

You can't have both :rulez:

your speedo doesn't really get too outta whack within 5-8mph(give or take), until you get into triple diggiz... so by that point, what good is it to watch it besides braggin points?:whistle:

bike is an 08...fastest one (black and orange)

i been riding for about a month..It was setup for the drag strip and I could care less for that. I notice I was doing 80 on the freeway and cars was passing me.

bike is an 08...fastest one (black and orange)

i been riding for about a month..It was setup for the drag strip and I could care less for that. I notice I was doing 80 on the freeway and cars was passing me.

hell, go 90:laugh:

Well your stock set-up is, I believe, 18(front)/43(rear). The latter Gen 1's ran 17/40. Now you already have the larger front sprocket, unless someone changed that, so getting down into the 43/44(rear) range will get you close. I don't care what anyone says, stock set-up ratios are plenty good fun with a well tuned Gen 1, or Gen 2 power plant. It has a lot to do with how long, and what skill level you ride the stock-ratios. If you're good at staying in it, steering at times with your butt, and don't have a problem with a slipping rear wheel at times then you're getting near ready to either drop the ratios for faster acceleration, or you're wondering what stronger triple digits feels like....I went from the 17/40 (Stock Gen 1) to a 18/39.

Now for me, the only challenge is getting her wound up from a dead stop at the strip and I never get out of 3rd gear by the end of the 1/4 mile, but when pushing the rev limiter in 6th I've definitely picked up a few mph over the original set-up.

Use the search engine and talk to guys like BA, Scar, Doug (Captain), Unlce Steve, not to mention the rest of the Gen 2 pilots, as they will each offer better, more specific input to your next best selection than the Gen 1 guys as we have a different breed of Busa. Not better, not worse, but definitely different. I rode BA's just a bit around the parking lot, and every ounce of my being was telling me, "Boy I'll bet this honey get's lit !!!". Meee likey !!! :oldcool:

I like knowing what the machine was designed to do from the factory, then "I" make it do what "I" want it to do. You make your own evaluation, but if I may, get rid of that 48 tooth rear, and buy a Speedohealer........at least at that point you're reading accurate, and better equipped to make changes that suit you. :super:

I'm -1, +2 on my Gen II, With a 0-6in. swing arm sitting at about 4 over. All I can tell you is you'd better hang on it's going to take you for a ride.:thumbsup::bowdown::cheerleader:

48:whistle: wow thats a big jump. I bet your spedo is off by about 10-12MPH on my gen 1 i went up 3 in the rear and it was off by 7 mph, your up 5 so im sure your around 10 or so off. i bet that suckers quick off the line:laugh:.

3 teeth on the back sprocket is fairly equivalent to 1 tooth on the front...1 tooth on the front will change your ratio approximately 6% which makes a back tooth worth 2%...therefore, if you are +5 in the back, you are about 10% higher than stock which tends to run around +7% from the factory so your speedometer is off somewhere in the neighborhood of +17% (this is a very rough estimate but will get you close)

if you go back to stock, you will still be reading about 6-7% fast...the only way to fix this is with a speedo-healer, putting a 19 tooth sprocket on the front, or putting a 40 tooth sprocket on the back

Maybe some forum members who have already done the sproket mod could recommend some good aftermarket sproket manufacturers? I've noticed that Pashnit carries SuperSprox. Feedback?

I have a Gen II.....45T (+2) Vortex Cat 5 :thumbsup: Quite a few other members have +3 in the rear. But I found +2 to be a good compromise. Noticeable smile improvement in the lower end :bigsmile:

SprockChainAdj.JPG

Back