General Sprocket Question

babuski

Donating Member
Registered
Okay sportsfans, I'm about to replace my chain (12,000 miles on it) AND sprockets.

I've heard to change both chain and sprockets. I gots the money and am ready to roll. But I've got some questions.

1) Are the stock sprockets on a busa steel? Two guys said yes including the mechanic at the shop. Are we sure on this?

2) How many teeth are on the front sprocket? How many on the rear on a bone stock hayabusa?

3) If I change to different sprockets, what teeth changes are are available and what effect will there be on the bike? Will it void extended warranty? Will it cause me to eat tires faster? Break chains faster? Screw up the engine. Someone help the squiddly babuski please.

I am quite happy with the speed and acceleration of the stock busa but am not up to speed on the sprocket issues.

STOCK INFO
532 chain , approx 112 links
front 17
rear 40

____
Roughly... One tooth down in the front equal to approx. three up in the rear.
Front one down
Pro's Cheaper to mod, generally doesn't require a longer chain
Con's Some feel this can put extra stress on the drive line/chain... Can limit your chain adjustment due to the chain being longer (due to smaller dia sprocket).

Rear 1+
Pro's Less wear and tear on the drive line. Chain adjustment is easier..
Con's Cost....

<!--EDIT|ks-waterbug
Reason for Edit: None given...|1097175242 -->

I'm sure there's a ton of things that aren't coming to mind right now! So, if I've forgot something please post it........

I believe the factory sprockets are steel. You can test it with a magnet! As far as the warranty goes "Shouldn't effect it", Tires may/maynot wear faster depends on your lead wrist! Obviously the more you gear it the easier it becomes to anihilate the rear tire (Really this is no challenge for the Stock Busa anyway) Gear possibilities are almost limit less, just use a little common sense. Ask yourself what the primary responsibility of your bike is going to be? Track, Street, Show, etc... This should answer your question.

<!--EDIT|ks-waterbug
Reason for Edit: None given...|1097173635 -->

replace the front sprocket with a ChromeMolly from AFAMUSA.  Repalce the rear with Steel Nickel coated 17 front 40 rear and you will be ready to go.  Go with a top chain D.I.D or ek EK is 530zvx gold any chain mfg. is fine as long as you go with the top grade. 9,800-11,000 lb pull.

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>530</span> is the chain size

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1097174034 -->

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>530</span> is the chain size
You beat me to it NE...
smile.gif

okay...another stupid question..

Is Countershaft sprocket same as front sprocket?
and why chromalloy in front and steel/nickel in back?
Would steel in front and rear be okay? remember I ride like a pussy. (okay except for occasional ventures above 140 for a few seconds.)

you need steel dur to amount of tourque the busa puts on the sprockets if you were riding bike with less could go with the allimmmunium or how ever you spell it ...to early for this ....but that is what i could see
cool.gif

Would steel in front and rear be okay? remember I ride like a pussy. (okay except for occasional ventures above 140 for a few seconds.)
Yes, countershaft sprocket is the "front" sprocket. Same thing, different wording.

I think chromalloy is just the surface treatment (or it may refer to the particular "mix" of steel and other ingredients used to make the sprocket.) for the front sprocket NE was talkin' about, just like nickle is a coating on the steel rear he suggested. The coatings and/or treatments can make a difference in wear.

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1097239983 -->

Would steel in front and rear be okay?  remember I ride like a pussy.  (okay except for occasional ventures above 140 for a few seconds.)
Yes the conter is the same Steel nickel i the back because no one is making Molly for the back. I would buy it if I found it. You can find titanium for the back which is great, but you do not ned it on a stock bike, or for that mattr until you are pushing over 180hp at the wheel.

Back