Sport Touring Set up

buda315

Registered
I actually found the stock set up quite comfortable, but decided to build the ultimate sport tourer. So far I have Soupy's one inch block installed and bought helibars (not yet installed). I just installed a tobin and the buell peg mod. I'll be honest, so far it is just o.k. I think I kind of like the stock set up better. I am only 5' 7'' so that might have something to do with it.

Does anybody else prefer the stock set up? I found with stock seat and just the 1 inch risers, it actually caused a little bit of pain in my neck due to the angle I was riding. This did not occur with the stock set up.

I don't want to ruin a great thing. When I bought the bike, I road it home 7 hours without any complaints. I just thought if it could be even more comfortable...

Any other short riders liking the stock set up??

usually little guys buy little bikes. us bigger guys are the ones that need the busas.

Brian - i'm another that has the bike all-stock in the seat & bars. I did toss the stock footpegs (hideous!!) in favor of some sexy Oberon's. Even went back to the stock mirrors after trying several (although color matched). Tried the Buell peg mod, but it just felt too odd. It's the ultimate sport-touring machine. Headed out to lead another 1000 mile tour this coming weekend! :thumbsup:
Dsc05250_49.jpg

Dsc05250_49.jpg

I went with corbins for the seating, front and back with back rest. Not sure on the shorter comfort level, but they are for sale in the classifieds. ZG touring shield was one of the better additions also.

2009-10-05 002.jpg

Ive thought lately about ditching my one inch risers.... I cant remember the stock height being a real problem... Plus my fast idle cable doesnt work right.

I went for the Heli-Bar risers. They change the angle to be slightly wider and higher than stock. I have a Corbin saddle on mine (Thanks again Mike Corbin and team). I also have the Buell peg mod. I'm 5'9" so I'm not too much different in size.

You have to find the configuration that fits you best. Not everyone is the same.

I'm 5'6 145. I liked the stock setup but ended up going with a shaved seat. The stock seat felt like I was sitting to high. Someone on the org gave good advice. Ride with the stock setup for at least a month before deciding on any changes.

Stock with a Laminar Lip to push the wind up to chin level.... nothing else, as far as Touring goes...

:rulez: Where's the pictures?

I never have disliked the stock set up. I have ridden on some LONG trips, and I don't feel the comfort of this bike is enough of an issue to justify spending the money to change it.

i bought my bike w/ the soupys risers, heli, buell pegs. i like it so much that i rode 17hrs the 1st day i had the bike, then 10 hrs the next. 1400mi in 2 days. :whistle:

I am 5'8,160lbs and have the helibar set up with the buell pegs and the Tobin seat. My neck pain was bad at first but after a little time it got better. It was worse with the stock set up though. Hope this helps

DSC_0083.jpg

i have the 1.25 risers and i rode a 18 hour 800mile trip in one day. the only thing that bothered me was my butt and my knees. i dont know if the risers helped any but my wrist were not hurting so i guess ill leave them

Ive thought lately about ditching my one inch risers.... I cant remember the stock height being a real problem... Plus my fast idle cable doesnt work right.
Re-route your fast idle cable. Remove it from the control lever on the bar, take it out of the clip it shares with the two throttle cables on the right side of the headset. Lift the front of your tank and snake it in through the left side of the steering head. Screw the tank back down with the cable running between the two bolts. Reconnect the cable to the control lever on the bars.

I'm only 5'7" and I think either the 1" Genmar riser or the Heli Bars are great (I've had both). The Buell footpeg mod is good with the stock seat, but awful with the Corbin seat. The Corbin seat must be great for taller guys, but not short people like me. Right now I'm with Heli Bars, stock pegs, and stock seat. Would love to try a cut-down Tobin seat. The stock seat is fine, but I get serious butt-burn after 2 - 3 hours riding.

Back