Speed rating matters

ranch41

Registered
I had originally posted this in the General Topics area but the responses seem to indicate a majority of the riders were not interested in high speed runs. I've read a bunch of posts of T-Busa's generating 200+ hp and speeds well in excess of 180 MPH.

My questions is what type of tire do you guys run to sustain high speed runs. The "Z" rated tire is rated for speeds in excess of 148 MPH and "W" is rated for speeds not to exceed 180 MPH. I think those are the speeds or close enough.

Some of the responses are (1)no sustained speed runs and (2)"Z" does not include 180, 190, or 200 MPH. A "special" tire is needed to run those speeds. At the dealership they said Z was the top speed rating.

Am I reading too much into this? What tires and ratings do you T-Busa guys run?

If you go here and search the word "tires" you will get multiple pages worth of info. I have personally had pilot powers and pilot roads well above their W speed rating of 168 mph but not for extended periods of time.

Are you planning on running a 190mph for 5 minutes?? 10minutes?? 30minutes??

Z and W rated tires should be plenty rating for a street rider.

Even at sanctioned top speed events, they aren't above 150mph for more than a few seconds...

O.K., when I've done my runs in the past, I could only sustain my top speed for a minute or less. Also, I just got in on the GIPro and Speedohealer group buy by Jester. As I get more comfortable, I will increase my speed runs. So far, I have sustained it at 175-180 (uncalibrated stock speedo) the last time I was out. This all started because I am due for new tires and wanted a dual compound tire because I do about 80% highway and 20% twisties and was considering purchasing the Pilot Power 2CT. I was told that this tire was primarily used for track and canyon driving and not a good choice. I got 4300 miles out of the stock, so maybe I'll just get the OEM. What do you think?

(jjmetheny @ Jan. 31 2007,21:02) If you go here and search the word "tires" you will get multiple pages worth of info. I have personally had pilot powers and pilot roads well above there W speed rating of 168 mph but not for extended periods of time.
Just went there!! Alot of great info.

THANKS

(ranch41 @ Feb. 01 2007,02:37) O.K., when I've done my runs in the past, I could only sustain my top speed for a minute or less.  Also, I just got in on the GIPro and Speedohealer group buy by Jester.  As I get more comfortable, I will increase my speed runs.  So far, I have sustained it at 175-180 (uncalibrated stock speedo) the last time I was out.  This all started because I am due for new tires and wanted a dual compound tire because I do about 80% highway and 20% twisties and was considering purchasing the Pilot Power 2CT.  I was told that this tire was primarily used for track and canyon driving and not a good choice.  I got 4300 miles out of the stock, so maybe I'll just get the OEM.  What do you think?
Go with stock or metzler. Both make a hayabusa specific tire that is a little more heavy duty just for the busa.

That'd be my recommendation.

If you only do 20% twisties, the PP2cts would be wasting your money. They are a track oriented tire.

Back