Pilot Power speed rating?

jetsetter

Registered
I recently read in a sale paper that the speed rating for a pilot power is 168 mph. Is this right? The more I read about speed ratings, the more it seems to be the case. It seems that not all "Z" rated tires are created equal.

So what's the deal? Is it OK to ride 180 on a PP, or is that a no no? If this is a bad tire choice for those of us who don't have 600's, then what tire would be recomended? I have always liked the PP's but I eclipse 168 regularly enough to want a higher speed rating.

Thanks in advance

I was thinking W or Y were the highest speed rated tires, but it's hard to find cycle tires that officially have that rating. I did some looking a while back and found none

Z, W, Y, ZW, and ZY tires are all good to go.

If you are planning to travel at speeds of 170+mph SUSTAINED, then you might want to look at a speed tire like the landspeed guys do.

But honestly, where the heck can you go 170+mph SUSTAINED for 5 minutes....   No where.

But this is the highest speed rating out there, 285/35ZR19 (99Y) in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
When Z-speed rated tires were first introduced, they were thought to reflect the highest tire speed rating that would ever be required, in excess of 240 km/h or 149 mph. While Z-speed rated tires are capable of speeds in excess of 149 mph, how far above 149 mph was not identified. That ultimately caused the automotive industry to add W- and Y-speed ratings to identify the tires that meet the needs of new vehicles that have extremely high top-speed capabilities.

W 168 mph 270 km/h Exotic Sports Cars
Y 186 mph 300 km/h Exotic Sports Cars

While a Z-speed rating still often appears in the tire size designation of these tires, such as 225/50ZR16 91W, the Z in the size signifies a maximum speed capability in excess of 149 mph, 240 km/h; the W in the service description indicates the tire's 168 mph, 270 km/h maximum speed.

225/50ZR16 in excess of 149 mph, 240 km/h
205/45ZR17 88W 168 mph, 270 km/h
285/35ZR19 99Y 186 mph, 300 km/h

Most recently, when the Y-speed rating indicated in a service description is enclosed in parentheses, such as 285/35ZR19 (99Y), the top speed of the tire has been tested in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h indicated by the service description as shown below:

285/35ZR19 99Y 186 mph, 300 km/h
285/35ZR19 (99Y) in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h

As vehicles have increased their top speeds into Autobahn-only ranges, the tire speed ratings have evolved to better identify the tires capability, allowing drivers to match the speed of their tires with the top speed of their vehicle.[/quote]

THis one is rated for 200. It is the Pilot Sport HPX

View attachment 1406348

"¢ Evolved from the Pilot Sport, but specifically designed for hypersport bikes like the Suzuki Hayabusa, Kawasaki ZX-12 and Honda CBR 1100XX.

"¢ Engineered with a particular emphasis on high-speed stability, The rear Pilot Sport HPX has been certified under stringent European requirements atspeeds up to 200 mph* (320 km/h).

"¢ Special tread compound developed for sustained high speeds.

"¢ Rear tread pattern combines large tread blocks and uniform distribution of the tread grooves, for excellent grip, efficient water evacuation, and optimal wear pattern.

"¢ Front tread pattern similar to that of the rear tire, for powerful braking, grip on wet roads, and even treadwear.

taken from here LINK

Speed ratings are based on SUSTAINED speeds, NOT a approved Max speed you go to and then slow down. And I doubt you will ever meet the sustained speed value on the street
winkold.gif

Thanks guys! If the key is sustained travel at those speeds, then I guess I'm good to go. Usually only over 170 for no more than 30 secs or so.

How does the HPX compare to the PP in other aspects, like grip and feel. Does anybody run them?

Back