Spartan Leathers?

Keith, don't you wear an Icon Stryker vest? How do you like it? I just tried one on at Cycle Gear, and it felt a lot like my BR vest. Comforting. :thumbsup:

I do. I think as far as protection goes, it's ok, but not as good as a lot of other stuff out there when you start getting into race-level protection. I got it because besides a back protector, it also includes chest protection and was about as thin as I could find. I had to glue the velcro back on the other night because it was coming off. I have some other protection (forcefield) - about the best you can get, but I can't get it inside my leathers with me. :banghead:

When the Icon stuff falls apart I will be looking for something else.

your right, I looked at mine and they are made in Pakistan. I had a shipping problem and thought it was somethink to do with Italy. oh well. I have a set of $1,200 Vanson's that were made for me back in 88 (when I raced) and the Spartans are just as soft and for the money very close in quality. There are some differences but for street and an occasional track day they are just fine.

I have several Spartan items and they have been great. I would definately buy my next leather suit or jacket from him.

Daniel,

I just recently bought a chest protector for track riding as a result of us losing Brandon Williford at Barber in April.

I already wore the Dainese back protector which I like a lot. It has the over the shoulder straps and a velcro around the waist. here is a link to it.
Dainese Wave Air Back Protector from SportbikeTrackGear.com

When I bought a chest protector I wanted one that was CE approved (some type of qualifications for a certain level of racing I think), but I wasn't sure what would go with my back protector. So I called STG and the guy said EVERYONE in their office wears the Knox chect protector. So i bought it and tried it out at Little Tally and I honestly could not even tell I was wearing it. You just stick in your jacket before you zip it up and it will stay there. Also in the pic it shows a velcro strap around it (it does not come with that). I HIGHLY recommend this item. Here is the link.
KNOX Chest Protector from SportbikeTrackGear.com

I do. I think as far as protection goes, it's ok, but not as good as a lot of other stuff out there when you start getting into race-level protection. I got it because besides a back protector, it also includes chest protection and was about as thin as I could find. I had to glue the velcro back on the other night because it was coming off. I have some other protection (forcefield) - about the best you can get, but I can't get it inside my leathers with me. :banghead:

When the Icon stuff falls apart I will be looking for something else.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into the Forcefield stuff too.

your right, I looked at mine and they are made in Pakistan. I had a shipping problem and thought it was somethink to do with Italy. oh well. I have a set of $1,200 Vanson's that were made for me back in 88 (when I raced) and the Spartans are just as soft and for the money very close in quality. There are some differences but for street and an occasional track day they are just fine.

That was a lot of cash in 88!

I have several Spartan items and they have been great. I would definately buy my next leather suit or jacket from him.

That's great to hear. Thanks.

they look kinda bulky and stiff. id spend a little more money and get something softer.

The reviews I've found so far actually speak very highly of the leather quality. They have some higher-end suits available, so I can probably check them out if I go to their location. A last minute upgrade would stretch the budget, but it's not completely out of the question.

Daniel,

I just recently bought a chest protector for track riding as a result of us losing Brandon Williford at Barber in April.

I already wore the Dainese back protector which I like a lot. It has the over the shoulder straps and a velcro around the waist. here is a link to it.
Dainese Wave Air Back Protector from SportbikeTrackGear.com

When I bought a chest protector I wanted one that was CE approved (some type of qualifications for a certain level of racing I think), but I wasn't sure what would go with my back protector. So I called STG and the guy said EVERYONE in their office wears the Knox chect protector. So i bought it and tried it out at Little Tally and I honestly could not even tell I was wearing it. You just stick in your jacket before you zip it up and it will stay there. Also in the pic it shows a velcro strap around it (it does not come with that). I HIGHLY recommend this item. Here is the link.
KNOX Chest Protector from SportbikeTrackGear.com

Thanks for the info, Jay. I will probably have a good talk with the guys at STG before I get the ball rolling on this. Hopefully they'll have some good options in the non-Rossi-sized section.

So I went to get measured and place my order yesterday. Due to scheduling conflicts we weren't able to set an appointment during the week, but the owner had me come to his house Saturday and we got everything worked out. I'm glad I went to see him because there's no way I would've done all those measurements correctly from home. He had a suit there to look at, and I was very impressed. The design seemed well thought out and it was made with high quality components. The current lead-time is about six weeks, so now I just get to sit back and wait.

Here's a link to the suit I ordered... Spartan Charge 1pc Motorcycle Racing Leathers (Custom)

And here's my design. The only differences are that the lettering will be done in white and there will be large perforations extending all over the chest.

My Final Design Cropped.jpg

fastblackblur said:
I picked up a Komodo suit, it works. Road tested several times. Zero injuries.

I've always heard good things about them too. :thumbsup:

Sent from my iPhone using The Force

Hey Daniel, I saw your leathers being made! They look great!!! I snapped a pic of them while I was there, check them out!!!!

Back