Leathers

LeksBusa

Registered
So, ive been looking really hard into purchasing a leather suit for riding the canyons and such. Im not brand biased at all but I have come to like the SS (speed and strength) gear a lot. I currently own SS gloves and SS leather jacket and I like the look and fit.

Ive recently discovered just how pricy a suit can get :banghead:..,and im on a budget, not necessarily a super tight budget but a budget none the less.

Also, i dont want just any leathers ya know, if im going to buy some leathers I want a decent product so...

here is the suit i am currently looking at.... http://ssgear.com/products/men/leather/tofsuit.html

I really like the look and features of this one but, its just on the verrryy edge of my budget...if anybody knows a good website or what have you that can get me a suit like this one for less, it would be greatly appreciated..
:beerchug:

Last edited:
Don't do what I did, I went for a lower price range. (Frank Thomas) Now I want better stuff, so in the end I will probably spend a lot more money than if I did it right the first time.

Look at "Shift" you can buy online and if you don't like the fit send it back. It's a new brand, part of Fox Racing not too expensive and they make really good stuff.

What is important for me on leathers besides quality and safety is no wrinkles when I bend my arms or knees. Not many get that right.

Don't do what I did, I went for a lower price range. (Frank Thomas) Now I want better stuff, so in the end I will probably spend a lot more money than if I did it right the first time.

Look at "Shift" you can buy online and if you don't like the fit send it back. It's a new brand, part of Fox Racing not too expensive and they make really good stuff.

What is important for me on leathers besides quality and safety is no wrinkles when I bend my arms or knees. Not many get that right.

cool, and thanks...Ill look into that.

about the wrinkles: Im also worried that'll happen with me. Im really tall and lanky (6'4" and about 180) yes i need to eat more...I was looking at the size charts and the only ones that are "tall" enough for me (inseam wise) are really big in the chest and waist area, so im worried that ill put the suit on and look like a deflated balloon or something with all the extra leather hanging off my shoulders..lol :laugh:

I've seen some SS suits that looked pretty good. You are gonna spend over $600-700 no matter what you do.

The one recommendation that I would strongly suggest is that you try on a number of suits before you make any decisions, especially if you are looking at buying online. They all fit differently and everybodies body is different so if you are just buying online you are just guessing and hoping for the best. I have a Joe Rocket one piece GPX Type R which is basically the same as the SpeedMaster line (which I have for boots and gloves) but without the hump and without the hard spine piece (GPX has a soft insert instead). Joe Rocket has excellent quality and the workmanship and customer service is top notch with all their gear. Highly recommended.

I got Joe Rocket full leather riding gear that was tossed in with my bike and I really like the thing. I feel more comfortable riding in it. It has lots of protection in the right places. I was really lucky and it happened to fit perfect. I would try on any suit before I bought one for sure.

Though I do not have one, I am also a big fan of the S&S line. Have you tried looking at your local CL? I have seen a few suits for under $400 in the SD, OC and LA areas. Ditto on going to a local store and actually trying on the brand you're looking at buying online! Best of luck with the search :)

I went with cheaper also(Frank Thomas) and yeah.... looking for something else.

I went to Cycle Gear up in Temecula for fitting but they didnt have anything for my chest size.... but they do have stuff that will fit you if you want to trek up there and try some stuff on.

I really like my S&S suit. I narrowed it down to either A-stars, Dainese, or S&S. Went with the S&S because a friend of mine at the time was working at a dealer and was able to get me a real good deal on it (<$700). The fit was great too, didn't have to get it altered at all.

btw: I'm right at 6' and 195lbs, the suit is a Size 44.

suitingup.jpg

gettinready.jpg

Last edited:
Hit up newenough.com and check them often, sometimes you find a steal, but it goes quick.

Also, as you know, friends and other riders can be a great source!:thumbsup:

Bubba

Hit up newenough.com and check them often, sometimes you find a steal, but it goes quick.

Also, as you know, friends and other riders can be a great source!:thumbsup:

Bubba

And keep an eye on ebay. A lot of riders buy suits with the intention of doing track days but then never really follow up and end up selling near new suits at greatly reduced prices. As long as you know how they fit you can pick up some sweet deals on ebay.

And keep an eye on ebay. A lot of riders buy suits with the intention of doing track days but then never really follow up and end up selling near new suits at greatly reduced prices. As long as you know how they fit you can pick up some sweet deals on ebay.

+1
Yeah, kind of what I was saying. If you know and ride with a lot of people, you have the opportunity to try on different brands and sizes so you know the fit and make before you purchase. :thumbsup:
Bubba

$800 is s decent amount of cash to spend on something that does not fit you properly...

$400 - $600 for a cheap starter suit is cool, but spending $800.00 ($799.00) is way to much for off the rack.

you can get into a custom fit suit for $1k. look into ZCustom, Pilot and NJK, all are local to so-cal and do great work.

i like Zcustom, but whoever you choose it is worth the price. I spend plenty of time in off the rack suits, and i will sell my blood,sperm or whatever before i go back to ill-fitting bulky mass produced suits.

For street riding and the occasional track day, I think you'd be much happier with a two piece with lots of pockets and a wrap around zipper.

Send a PM to Captain, he had a set custom made and I am not sure what the cost was.

Back