Soon to be nationwide helmet law

I think you are an idiot if you don't wear a helmet, but should have the option to be an idiot or not.

Personally I support wearing a helmet at all times, BUT I also support anyone has the right to be STUPID (in my opinion) and NOT wear one. My biggest gripe
mad.gif
is where does the FEDERAL Government get the right or authority to dictate local state issues (OH yeah, by withholding Federal Road Tax Money that they collected from the State Residents anyway).  It sure isn't in the Constitution  
rant.gif

I was starting to wonder about the folks on this site, but the last page has given me hope again. I could bee seen on this site with a bunch of freedom lovers such as myself. It all comes down to personal responsability and accountability. Liberalism is all about feelings. "I feel that this is best for all" America was founded on freedom from "opression". Does anyone remember their history class and what happened in 1776.

Like I said before If you think it should be your choice then YOU pay the insurance premiums, taxes , and hospital costs that rise because some dumba$$ wanted to ride without a helmet and now he's a vegetable ! Its not control , its common friggin sence. Should you be able to ride the roller coaster without the bar ?? Think about it , Why do you think insurance is so expensive ? Some rules are for a REAL reason.

(frisbee @ Sep. 12 2007,19:51) Why do you think insurance is so expensive ?
Because they can..I have a friend that has a son that has to pay 400 bucks a month for car insurance
rock.gif
His car payment is 280.00..thats why these kids cant afford anything (car,apartments,food etc ) thats one heck of a mothly burden , just to drive?? that is BS... insurance companies do what they want....maybe the sudden incline in deaths are attributed to more motorcycles being on the road instead of no helmets....out of the deaths how many were wearing helmets opposed to not? But anyway, I wear my helmet because its my choice.....maybe if I'm moving my bike in a parking lot at the beach maybe I don't want to wear one....CHOICE is always nice..WHATS AMERICA COMING TO? BUNCH OF SUE HAPPY SISSY LIBERALS
rant.gif

With freedom comes responsibility. If you want the freedom to choose whether or not to wear a helmet, you need to take the responsibility for your own care if you get injured. Too many bikers have no insurance or inadequate insurance and they end up being a burden to societal services.

As a result of so much irresponsibility, laws get passed to simply take away the freedom to choose.

Unfortunate, but it's reality.

--Wag--

Just because a law is passed requiring helmet use doesn't force anyone to wear a helmet, not anymore than speed limit laws force people to obey the speed limit.
I always wear a helmet, I may not always obey the speed limit. With that being said I think they should enact the helmet law and do away with speed limits. This would suit me fine, how bout you?

What is this is the way it was now and they were talking about enacting a law to regulate speed instead?
hmmmm.

But the numbers show that in nearly half of all fatal motorcycle accidents riders are not wearing helmets.[/Quote]
According to the article more people die in motorcycle accidents with helmets than without.

I would like to know how much your insurance went down after they enacted the seatbelt law.

I think that you should turn in your fast hayabusa and get a bike that can only do 75 mph because if you go faster than that you are breaking the law, endangering lives and you are useing too much gas and causing global warming.

If you start limiting the freedoms that we all share eventually we will be in a communist state and we will be standing in the cheese and toilet paper line wondering what the heck happened. Look at the laws that were passed first. (Bill of rights) All have to do with granting us freedoms, not taking them away.
The rest of our laws deal with morality and such. Killing, stealing and stuff. The rest of the laws are infringing on our freedoms. Be careful what you ask for cuz you just might get it.

BTW, If you refuse to wear a helmet in your new law, You get fined, and refined and refined. There is no end to it. If you don't wear a seatbelt you usually pass a cop and he could care less. A cop can pull you over and without your helmet on and give you a ticket with no other infraction incured. How American is that.

(Wag @ Sep. 12 2007,20:58) With freedom comes responsibility.  If you want the freedom to choose whether or not to wear a helmet, you need to take the responsibility for your own care if you get injured.  Too many bikers have no insurance or inadequate insurance and they end up being a burden to societal services.

As a result of so much irresponsibility, laws get passed to simply take away the freedom to choose.

Unfortunate, but it's reality.

--Wag--
There you go! Excellent point. I always wear my helmet while on the Busa, not always while chugging along on my Nomad. I know and understand the consequences but I have the necessary insurance if needed. Wearing a helmet is not that big of a deal. Most of us know they do help minimize head and neck injuries. If the law in Florida is repealed, no big deal, I'll keep riding and wear a helmet 100% of the time. I think some people just don't want to be told what to do, regardless of what it is. Same with seat belts. I want people wearing the belts. If they get smacked, I would prefer they are still behind the wheel as opposed to being tossed to the passenger side or back seat while the vehicle may still be moving.  
coffee.gif

Damn, I guess I'll have to sell the bike now.  
argue.gif

Check the "For Sale" section

Less government control!

Numerical limit on lawyers per capita!

Less laws, stricter punishment!

HUMMMM We have freedom in USA . Free to obey the laws they make?? IF not =jail and fines!! Social Security is broke..GOV> Spent it all it, its called stealing!! What next Cashless society ? all in the name of Tracking terrorist?? Or watching us? & Tax dollars .No more working for cash!! OH I Know a rule that everyone must fallow, go to church or face fines .. Yea church is good for you either go or be put to death.. 666.Ever studied it.. ? And you guessed it, when they tell you -You cant buy or sell without the mark!! Its a law that will be passed thru the GOV.. For your good of course!! WOW When does the stupid stop?
rock.gif

I guess the part that really pisses me off is that its bull. If you are really looking out for safety dont make anything that goes over 65 MPH. What has more of a chance for an accident, a guy with a helmet doing 95 MPH or a guy without a helmet going 65. All those videos I see people crashing in the mountains (the dragon etc) they where wearing helmets but thought the helmet made them joe road racer. How many here wear helmets but get into triple digits on the public road. Dont piss down my back and tell me its raining and our govt should stop with there mambi pambi BS and make some real laws. The problem is that they know they cant take our freedom away too quickly that we will notice. It has to be slow let them get used to it then a little more ohh yah show them its for there own good. Lawmakers you want to fix something try welfare and social security reform you idiots. Try taking breeding rights away from people that cant afford to support there own children maybe work on the illegal alien problem they are breaking laws everyday it kills me to hear about the states harboring these criminals and giving them welfare etc OK sorry I am ranting I work for social security it would kill you to see some of the BS I worked all my life and I am 30 years old and my back hurts so I need some free money to enable me to work under the table doing construction cases we see everyday. I will eave now with just a note my 2 favorite bumper stickers in case no one has ever seen them

1. If you cant feed em dont breed em
2. If your going to ride my ass like that atleast pull my hair (obvioulsy a womans car)

(Busa204 @ Sep. 12 2007,16:35) Just to get this out of the way, I NEVER ride without my helmet. Now with that said, I feel if someone wants to ride without their helmet, that is their own choice.  If this is something someone chooses to do, then they should automatically be an ORGAN DONOR!

Working in the EMS field, I see tons of motorcycle accidents. People need to be aware that if they are choosing to not wear their helmet they are greatly putting their own life at risk. Again, something that the individual should have a right to do if he/she chooses to do so. The organ donor idea is a way of increasing other people's chances to live.
I agree! I worked with the volunteer fire department in my community in south carolina for six years before I moved to north carolina 6 months ago.I always rode without a helmet and short sleeve shirt until I responded to my first motorcycle accident.Anyone that can witness something that gruesome and continue to ride unprotected,in my opinion,is insane.Become an organ donor so someone without a death wish can live.
Should there be laws requiring helmet use,NO,our fellow riders should pay more attention to what happens when you go down unprotected and then we probably wouldn't need a law.

Back