Socket in my muffler.

MrMoo

Registered
My 2 year old decided to help me today and put a socket into my stock muffler. Pulling the can off later won't be a big deal but I'm wondering if I will even be able to get it out without having to pull the baffles out. I heard it roll in and then it sounded like it dropped. I haven't had a chance to look at it as keeping my daughter out of trouble took priority. What does the stock baffle look like internally?

Depending on the size of the socket it is possible that it hit just right and fell through a baffle louvre. Worst case scenario, you will have to drill the rivets out on the end cap and break the can down but other than your time it's nothing that can't be fixed in an hour. Give the boy a break and keep the tools picked up.

I agree with big E, a rectractable socket should get it

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

sorry to hear but i couldn't help but laugh. my little guy did the same thing a few years ago but i was able to jiggle it out. hopefully, with a little work it will fall out. :laugh:

This is a good excuse to get an aftermarket exhaust. Tell your wife that it's dangerous to ride like this. :laugh:

This is a good excuse to get an aftermarket exhaust. Tell your wife that it's dangerous to ride like this. :laugh:

Exactly what I was going to say.

On an related note...a client of mine has his dog on a VERY expensive eyedrop (costs about $120 for a 2oz bottle) that comes in a clear dropper bottle and looks like corn oil. Came home to find a proud daughter who had used the whole thing to lubricate her bike chain. Priceless!

btw, I let my 3 year old daughter help me too. It's great fun for both of us. She loves arranging the sockets. I ask her to pass me a certain size and she gets it. I just ask her to stay away from using sharp tools (especially on the paint!).

I think a bounce off the rev limiter in 6th will get it out... Just make sure no one is behind you!!!:laugh::laugh:

My son used to put his matchbox cars in my pipes.
Make sure nobody is behind you and start it up.
I bet it will come out of there.

Remove the can, and try shaking!! Removing the chrome end cap will not get you anywhere. the baffle is welded.

When you get it out, you might want to check these out.:thumbsup:

MUFF-FMF-2-STRO_is.jpg

9/16 socket retrieved. Couldn't get a retrieval tool to work so off the can came. 10 minutes later all was well. I did decide to start it without the muffler on it. The cats must really quiet it down as it wasn't that loud! I think you are right about it being a good reason to get a new exhaust. I plan to make my own for a good project. Can't see paying $1000 for something I have the tools to attempt.

Back