Cigarette Socket Install

Busaman1963

Registered
I would like to install this unit someplace upfront so it looks really clean. Any ideas where to install it, perhaps flushmounted where I have placed the yellow circle but not sure if there is room under there ? I will use it mostly for my battery tender and a cell phone charger. Would love to see pics of any other installs. Thanks

Powerlet Products

Cig Socket.jpg

not much room under the left side due to your fuse box and main harness, the right side is a better bet nuch more room. i would move it up a little more to keep rain/moistrue out a little better, just my:2cents:

I would not put it there. what are you going to use it for? A powerlet plug is a better choice for an accessory plug, cigarette plugs take to much space (a 90 degree male plug works better) and the male plug rarely stays in place. I use powerlet plugs on my zumo, have a 90 degree male plug and it locks into the socket.

Hmmmm a cell phone charger does not have a powerlet end but a cig end. I know on the battery tender I can get either powerlet or cig end so that is not a problem.

I would not put it there. what are you going to use it for? A powerlet plug is a better choice for an accessory plug, cigarette plugs take to much space (a 90 degree male plug works better) and the male plug rarely stays in place. I use powerlet plugs on my zumo, have a 90 degree male plug and it locks into the socket.

I installed a fuse block in the tail and then ran 3 - 12v sockets to the front, on the right ram-air tube; one for my Zumo, one for my phone charger, and the 3rd is available. I also ran two into the 'trunk'. One is used for my two-way radio, the other is available.

CIMG5504.JPG

CIMG5501.JPG

CIMG5497.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I first used a cig plug, but found it would vibrate loose and also cause clearance problems because the male plugs are rarely set at a 90 degree angle.

this is the way I did it.
Use the powerlet as the plug on the busa and use powerlet plugs on GPS and heated clothing etc.
When needing an occasional cell phone charger or other charger that you cannot or do not want to install a powerlet male end on, make an adapter from powerlet to conventional cig plug.
If you use a tank bag make the adapter wire long unough to be placed inside the bag.

If all you are going to power is a cell phone this will be way too much trouble.
I would then go with a two prong trailer connector (same as the battery tender) fused at the battery and attach a cig plug to another two prong trailer connector. I also have this and it exits between the tank and the frame. It can be used for the batt tender, heated clothing or your cigarette plug adapter.

I also made one in the other direction if needed, probably never will need to use it, just had the extra plugs.

IMG_0490.jpg

Hey bro, thanks so much. I also just found that I can get a powerlet male with a mini USB which can charge my blackberry. So I am thinking about this one :

Powerlet Products

With only 1" clearance needed, do you think I could mount it somewhere on the left side where I made that yellow circle ? Would like to try to keep it on that side if possible since my battery tender is sitting just next to that on my garage counter.

I first used a cig plug, but found it would vibrate loose and also cause clearance problems because the male plugs are rarely set at a 90 degree angle.

this is the way I did it.
Use the powerlet as the plug on the busa and use powerlet plugs on GPS and heated clothing etc.
When needing an occasional cell phone charger or other charger that you cannot or do not want to install a powerlet male end on, make an adapter from powerlet to conventional cig plug.
If you use a tank bag make the adapter wire long unough to be placed inside the bag.

If all you are going to power is a cell phone this will be way too much trouble.
I would then go with a two prong trailer connector (same as the battery tender) fused at the battery and attach a cig plug to another two prong trailer connector. I also have this and it exits between the tank and the frame. It can be used for the batt tender, heated clothing or your cigarette plug adapter.

If all this seems like to much work, get a waterproof plastic 12v accessory plug (Walmart) and attach on the steerting head, come off one of the 4 bolts on the top handle bar plate with an aluminum "L" bracket. Wire to your battery.
There are many ways to do it. If you want more pictures, let me know.

powerlet's dont take up much space, and will probably work on the left side, you may have to go higher up towards the instrument cluster, however to avoid cutting your plastic take a look at my set up.
give me a few minutes to go get a pic.

Not to much work at all, want to do it once, permanent and clean mount and then never have to mess with it again !!

If all this seems like to much work, get a waterproof plastic 12v accessory plug (Walmart) and attach on the steerting head, come off one of the 4 bolts on the top handle bar plate with an aluminum "L" bracket. Wire to your battery.
There are many ways to do it. If you want more pictures, let me know.

gen 1, I already had made the hole for the cig plug, did not check the clearance, a conventional 12v male plug stuck up to high, looked bad. I installed the powerlet to make more room, on the Gen 2 decided not to cut holes in the plastic.

Gen 1

IMG_0491.jpg

Back