installing gps, need help wiring it

hemi

Registered
finally ordered my ram mount for my garmin nuvi 200w. Probably won't use it to often on the bike, since i don't ride it to work or anything, just out to play on the weekends and such. Anyway it will still come in handy, the battery will last for 3 to 4 hours on a full charge so i might just leave it for a while. If i do go to wire the charger to the bike, what is the easiest way. I know i can just hook a cig lighter straight from the battery, but that will drain the battery if i leave it hooked up for a few days. How hard is it to install boostysmith's (if i spelled that correctly) harness he sells. I read that u have to tear the gauges off to install it, is this a difficult job. I would want to install the plug-n-play socket in the tail. Don't reallly want to tear the whole dash apart and risk breaking stuff just to wire in a gps though. What do u guys think

Or I guess you could buy a battery tender and tie in the plug and play connector and just throw the tender on when you get home to keep the battery up. :thumbsup:

Smith harness is a piece of cake to install, but it will leave YOUR power chord forever fixed to your ride. Did this with my ride not a real big deal and it leaves a nice clean install or you could do as suggested with a pig tail on the battery post then plug in the cig pig tail when you want to run your GPS. Of course this means removing your seat every time you want to do this...

From what I understand, there is a switched power source in the front fairing of the bike that is not used on the North American version. You could use this to power your GPS, and it would only be on while the bike it on.

Or, you could use another switched power source such as the license plate light. When I get all of my accessories lined up, I plan to use the license plate light, relay, distribution block, and wire everything off the block.

i actually thought about using the license plate light to power it. I already installed an led fender eliminator and had to splice into it. If i just buy a regular cig lighter socket at my local auto parts store, then use a multimeter to find which is + and - on the license plate wires, i should be able to splice the cig lighter leads right to it and it should work fine correct?? I think this way would be very easy, i already know how to get the tail off no problem, and it is right there so i could just stick the cig lighter in the trunk. Let me know if u guys think this will work fine

Yes, that will work just fine. You may also want to wrap some electrical tape around where they connect to ensure it does not rattle out.

awesome, will do. I think that would be much easier than ripping the gauges off to install a pigtail and then route it all the way to the truck

I just did mine this weekend and use smith plug and play and it was easy. Here are some pic.
IMGP0142.jpg

IMGP0146.jpg

IMGP0151.jpg

It just took a little time to remove gauges but worth it. :thumbsup:

IMGP0142.jpg

IMGP0146.jpg

IMGP0151.jpg

I have his harness to. Just got it. Waiting to gather more parts before I install. Probably a winter project.:cheerleader:

Powerlet Products. $28 + shipping. Fused connection to battery. You just have to make sure to disconnect it under the seat, since the battery will continue to charge the unit as long as it's in place. Here's the link: Powerlet for 99-07 Hayabusa

Powerlet Products. $28 + shipping. Fused connection to battery. You just have to make sure to disconnect it under the seat, since the battery will continue to charge the unit as long as it's in place. Here's the link: Powerlet for 99-07 Hayabusa

You can buy a similar setup at Pep Boys, mine was only $3.99+ tax. It has alligator clips on the ends that attach to the battery and the outlet is stored in the trunk. I have a wire running from this to my Tom Tom gps for charging, I also use the same wire to charge my headphones and music player (mini USB).:beerchug:

Last edited:
I installed an 8 gang aux fuse block and hard wired my Garmin mount to it for my Zumo.

Joker, how hard is it to remove the gauges cover, without breaking it? Did you hook your GPS to the extra clip up front or did you just hook it up in the rear.

I spoke with Greg at boostsmith and he said to clip it into 1 of the bulbs above the headlights, is this true?

Jay.

Joker, how hard is it to remove the gauges cover, without breaking it? Did you hook your GPS to the extra clip up front or did you just hook it up in the rear.

I spoke with Greg at boostsmith and he said to clip it into 1 of the bulbs above the headlights, is this true?

Jay.

That is true, we did Mojo's bike last year with the same harness for his satellite radio. I installed cigarette plug under my hump and ran an additional dc charger up the my ram mount. Just unplug it when your finished.

I bought my 08 busa new in sept of 08. I rode the hell out of it till the snow flew. I then bought a manual, researched info on the internet. This valuable time taught me how to remove the gauges and install the wiring harness from smith a busa. It literally takes 10 minutes to remove the gauges and install the wiring harness. I bought the harness that runs to the rear hump so I had to remove the seat and prop the fuel tank up. It is well worth it to install this harness. Take your time, read, and take it step by step. Even label the bolts so you know where they go. Once you get the 2 pieces of plastic off around the gauges you only have 2 bolts that hold the gauges down & a wiring harness you need to unplug.

BoostSmith harness is a piece of cake. Keeps it looking factory. No exposed wiring. I've got to outlets in the tail and three in the front. GPS going in today.:cheerleader::cheerleader:

Jay.

Why would I tell you something not true about my harness? :whistle:

Back