got a new gps!!!!

hemi

Registered
just finished my gps install the other day. After realizing how great it will be having the gps on the bike i went a little crazy. Had a garmin nuvi 200 that i never used anymore and was gonna use it on the bike, i have a nuvi 780 for my truck/service van, and use it every day. Well i went and and bought the garmin nuvi 1490t for my truck and installed the 780 on the bike. So now i have msn direct with live traffic/weather, and all the goodies installed on the bike. Little overkill, but i am obsessed with my gps units. Could have just bought a motorcycle gps, but they are pretty pricey and i don't think u get all the extra goodies/software with these units

No, the 780 nor the 1490T is weatherproof according to Garmin's website. The Zumo series is waterproof though so any of those would be great for the motorcycle. I don't know Hemi's location either so if he lived in the desert there's probably no need for a waterproof GPS.

The Zumo 660 does have both FM and MSN support so it's identical to the 1490T expect that it's waterproof and about 200 dollars more expensive just for that reason. I personally would go with the Zumo 660 but that's because I always seem to take a motorcycle trip in a complete downpour at least once a year. If you don't hit rain the Nuvi series is a better way to go.

Zumo 660 vs Nuvi 1490T

Last edited:
neither of the one's i have is weatherproof, as stated above. Basically i wanted a new top of the line gps for the truck anyway, and figured i would just use the old one for the bike. I have a company van i drive to work, so i never ride to work, just ride mostly on the weekends joy riding. It would be nice to have a waterproof one, but i have only been caught in the rain a few times, plus if i do get caught in the rain and am worried about the gps, i can pull over and pop it off in a second. Guess i was wrong, i wan't aware the zumo or other motorcycle gps units and msn and live traffic

unless i rode every day and caught in rain quite often, i think it is a little much to pay $200-300 xtra basically just bc it's waterproof and maybe a little more "glove friendly" when it comes to the touchscreen

unless i rode every day and caught in rain quite often, i think it is a little much to pay $200-300 xtra basically just bc it's waterproof and maybe a little more "glove friendly" when it comes to the touchscreen

You can probably buy two for the price of one zumo..:thumbsup:

Back