question for all the gps/technical guru's out ther

hemi

Registered
is it ok to use a normal gps meant for a car on our bike's? I know obviously if it gets soaked in a down pour it will be toast, but will vibrations from the bike and such harm it in the long run. Reason i'm asking is i have a garmin nuvi 780 that i have been using on the busa for quite a while. I've noticed lately the power button doesn't want to function properly sometimes, and won't turn it on or off randomly. Just wondering if all the vibes from the bike are finally affecting it? Would really like to get one of the motorcycle garmins, such as the 550 or 660, but they're so dang expensive!! Plus the 780 is a very nice unit, also have the garmin nuvi 1490T i use in my truck, so the 780 is strictly for the bike

I own a Garmin nuvi 750 that I have never used on my bike, and it does the same thing.. Don't know if this helps, but don't think the bike is the reason...

It is fine to use a car/truck GPs on the bike. Make sure there is issue with seeing the screen in daylight. If you are in an area that has rain often, carry a ziplock bag to cover the unit if it rains.

The only thing I would say about using one of the less expensive car GPS units on a motorcycle is getting the commands. You should not rely on looking at the screen to nav., as the destraction is potentially deadly. If it has a headphone jack then it's ok, but without that it's not worth missing that car turning right at the intersection ahead while you try and read a dim screen in the sunlight.

Omar and I both used the C550s and had no problems with them...

Ive been using a Mio c320 that somebody left at the Hotel, and never came back 4 it. I think itworks well, & if it starts to rain I will take it off

Back