gps wiring options

hemi

Registered
i've had my garmin nuvi 780 on the busa for quite a while now. Have a 12v cig lighter coming straight off the battery tucked under the front seat, which works good. Also have the pigtail from my battery tender hooked up to the battery so i can just pop the rear seat and plug in the battery tender when needed. Then after installing my pcv (also to the neg battery terminal), i have too many damn connectors on my battery. Was thinkin about buying the harness from smithabusa for a cleaner/more professional install for my gps. Do u just chop off the male power adaptor from the gps charger and splice it to his harness? What do u guys prefer for gps, constant power from the battery, or ignition power like the harness (so u could leave it plugged in all the time)

I have the harness from Smithbusa and is it great, i used it to run my Valentine1 on my stem stand, I never ran the other wires to the rear though. They are securely wound up and behind the instrument panels.

so if i installed the smithabusa harness for my garmin gps, i could plug it in behind the dash, splice into my gps charger leaving about 12" of slack and just plug directly into my gps, right? Just kind of confused how his harness connects to accessories like a gps unit

I installed a fuse block and relay. The relay is used to provide switched power to the fuse block. I then run all my accessories from there.

fuse block.JPG

fuse block.JPG

Did you ask Twisted Throttle about the powered adapters for the tank bag mounts like you and I have on our bikes. Then the tank bag has power through it when it's on the lower mount. Then the GPS unit sits inside a clear pocket and has a plug in insode the bag, Pretty trick!

so if i installed the smithabusa harness for my garmin gps, i could plug it in behind the dash, splice into my gps charger leaving about 12" of slack and just plug directly into my gps, right? Just kind of confused how his harness connects to accessories like a gps unit

The harness takes power from the right front running light connector I think.

Thats why it's switched power, In my case the the "front" power segment was run right behind the dash and the wiring adapter from Valentine was wired into it from there. It's all hidden and secure except for a short coiled cord from Valentine that comes out from under the right front ram air duct covr. It's actually pretty neat and tidy.

he includes the connectors with both makle and female pins so you can make the connectors you need to power whatever you have.

think i will just go ahead and order the harness then, will give me a much cleaner install. Thought about the power through the tank bag, but i have a nice techmount for my gps that works perfect

Is it a link where i can find this? I have thought about getting something for mine. Thanks in advance

Back