GPS installation help

Payne

Registered
So I just ordered the Garmin Zumo 550, since I suck at any work that has to involve electricity what is the simplies way of hooking up the gps?

I really like what someone did by installing a cigarette lighter plug thing and then just hooking up the gps to that. Where can I get that? And im assuming its gonna have to be hooked up to the batter and the wires run somewhere through the body?

Thanks for all the help!

Like Mark said, Smithbusa has a harness that plugs into your stock harness just above the headlight behind the cluster.

I dont have any pics of my installation, but I mounted a dual plug outlet in the tail, and just ran the supplied dc adapter to the front to a RamMount to plug in to the GPS unit. Now I can run my GPS and charge my cell phone at the same time, handy for when you have to try to keep up with Don on the back roads of South Carolina, Georgia, or wherever you are. :laugh:

I picked up a lighter @ autozone for about $6, made a bracket and mounted it in the trunk. put an inline fuse about 1" off the + battery terminal. that way I can charge my phone too:beerchug:

Powerlet makes exactly what you need.

Powerlet for Hayabusa

You'll probably run the GPS's wire back to the Powerlet. I ran the GPS wire under the tank (zip-tied to another harness), through the battery area, and under the seat. Hooked it into the Powerlet, which I then ran back to the battery.

Be careful, since this is a direct connection (with a fuse) to the GPS. There's no on-off switch, so you have to disconnect it under the seat, or else the battery constantly charges the GPS. So, even if the unit looks like it's off, it's being charged unless you disconnect it under the seat.

The other connection (described above) you can make is in the front (near the headlight), which operates with the bike's key. This will turn the GPS on and off with the bike. Not sure how to make that connection.

Last edited:
Im here looking for the same thing but i can tell you i love my Zumo 550. The hardwae that comes with the Zumo is a bit tall and assembles to the handlebar - when i turn the bars the GPS can make contact with the windscreen. The Techmount looks like a better system. How does the GPS mount to the Techmount? Can you post a picture?

Powerlet makes exactly what you need.

Powerlet for Hayabusa

You'll probably run the GPS's wire back to the Powerlet. I ran the GPS wire under the tank (zip-tied to another harness), through the battery area, and under the seat. Hooked it into the Powerlet, which I then ran back to the battery.

Be careful, since this is a direct connection (with a fuse) to the GPS. There's no on-off switch, so you have to disconnect it under the seat, or else the battery constantly charges the GPS. So, even if the unit looks like it's off, it's being charged unless you disconnect it under the seat.

The other connection (described above) you can make is in the front (near the headlight), which operates with the bike's key. This will turn the GPS on and off with the bike. Not sure how to make that connection.

Thanks a lot! Will work it out once it comes. Ill make sure to get some pics for the future :)

Hello, I'm in the same boat with wiring my Zumo so I'm looking for the BEST way... I see how the pwr outlet would be great but how does it (the Zumo wiring) connect into the power outlet? thx!

Like Mark said, Smithbusa has a harness that plugs into your stock harness just above the headlight behind the cluster.

I dont have any pics of my installation, but I mounted a dual plug outlet in the tail, and just ran the supplied dc adapter to the front to a RamMount to plug in to the GPS unit. Now I can run my GPS and charge my cell phone at the same time, handy for when you have to try to keep up with Don on the back roads of South Carolina, Georgia, or wherever you are. :laugh:

:drama:

I'll be following you around in a couple of weeks:beerchug:

Im here looking for the same thing but i can tell you i love my Zumo 550. The hardwae that comes with the Zumo is a bit tall and assembles to the handlebar - when i turn the bars the GPS can make contact with the windscreen. The Techmount looks like a better system. How does the GPS mount to the Techmount? Can you post a picture?

I'll get one this weekend, since I'm away from the bike.

I couldn't figure out a decent way to modify the mount that came with my Garmin, so I ended up using double-stick tape. The Techmount comes with pre-drilled holes, so you probably could modify your mount to bolt on. It also comes with velcro, but I didn't need to remove the Garmin, and velcro doesn't give a solid feel when you're pushing on the screen.

Last edited:
Hello, I'm in the same boat with wiring my Zumo so I'm looking for the BEST way... I see how the pwr outlet would be great but how does it (the Zumo wiring) connect into the power outlet? thx!

Your Zumo's power cord is probably is no different than my Nuvi 200's--that is, it has a male adapter that connects into a female outlet (like what used to be called a cigarette lighter in your car).

Run the power cord under the tank (taking care to keep it zip-tied out of the way of everything), all the way back to underneath the "hump." That's where you'll locate the Powerlet's female connector. The Powerlet then runs back to the battery.

Last edited:
Here's a pic from Powerlet's website showing the connection under a Gixxer's seat. Same idea.

PKT-040_p_278_webl.jpg

The Zumo 550 comes with a fused power wire that has a connector that plus into the plastic cradle the unit fits in. You just run the wire under the tank and seat to the battery, hook up the red+ and black- wires to the battery and lower the tank and reinstall the seat and you're done. I did tie-wrap the power line to other wires running under the tank..its a 29 minute job tops. There are two 1mm screws that secure the connector into the plastic cradle as well.

Back