Socal Crackdown

Big O

Physicist Genii
Donating Member
Registered
A friend mailed me this article from the San Gabriel Valley Tribune.  
I would avoid GMR 'til this calms down.
Task force to crack down on mountain road racers

By Dian! a L. Roemer , Staff Writer
Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - ANGELES NATIONAL FOREST -- A task force of law enforcement agencies will crack down on illegal racing on Glendora Mountain Road, following a teen death on the highway in September and five other recent accidents, a county official said Wednesday.

Federal, county and city officials decided to leave open the curvy, 13-mile road while beefing up policing and surveillance.

That is the best approach to curtailing accidents and illegal activity, said Tony Bell, an aide to County Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich. U.S. Forest Service, county and city officials were in the meeting at his San Dimas office.

The road begins in Glendora and ends at East Fork Road in the Angeles National Forest and has more than 100 hairpin curves but no guardrails. It is a favorite of motorcyclists, car enthusiasts and bicyclists.

Bell said those who engage in illegal activity on Glendora Mountain Road will be subject to "all law enforcement techniques available.'

Bell would not define which techniques would be used, but said, "There will be a thick law enforcement presence on GMR immediately. CHP, the Sheriff's Department, Glendora police and the Forestry Service will step up police action on the road.'

Drivers breaking the law will have their cars impounded. People found breaking the law will be prosecuted, he said.

Antonovich organized the meeting in response to calls for the road's closure by the mother of 17-year-old Johnny Diaz of Azusa, who died on the road Sept. 21.

Five accidents have occurred since the road reopened in August after being closed for a year because of the 2002 Curve Fire, causing concern about the road's safety.

An accident Friday involving five teens whose truck drove over the edge heightened feelings among officials about taking action.

One teen involved in the accident, 15-year-old Jessie Mendoza of La Verne, said she and another girl riding in the 2002 Chevrolet Silverado wanted to turn around and go back to down the mountain just before the accident.

The driver, 16-year-old Andrew Neal, also of La Verne, was looking for a turnout when the truck lost its lights and plunged over the edge, rolling 300 feet to the canyon floor, she said.

"We didn't feel comfortable. GMR has no guardrails. Any little thing can happen, and you go off,' Mendoza said.

Mendoza said she only got a sprained ankle from the accident, but she will never go on the road again.

One girl remains hospitalized with a broken back, she said. All the other teens are recovering, she said.
for the time being.

soapbox.gif
rant.gif

What a big, steaming pile of bullshit. Sounds like they were just looking for an emotional trigger to "justify" this amazing "crack down". It pisses me off to no end to see law enforcement do this kind of crap! Sometimes I think I'm on the wrong team. The accident that they used had nothing to do with racing or "illegal activity" other than an equipment violation. The friggin headlights went out and the 16 year old driver probably went into panic and took them off the side of the mountain. What the F#@K does that have to do with racing or "illegal activity"?

Hell, they don't even go into what the "five other accidents" were. Probably tourist idiots who ran their brakes hot and lost it or something similar. Trust me, if they had a racing or ass showing accident on file they would have PLASTERED it at the head of this story! Since they didn't have any real ammo to fire at the so called "racers", the next best thing is the death of a teen anywhere in the area. That stirs the pot and brings out all the idiots who eat this political bull poop up and rally behind the cops, encouraging them to "clean up" this stretch of road before "more innocent lives are lost". Makes me just want to PUKE!!!

I swear, I need to find another line of work. My tolerance for crap like this is wearing thin!!!!!!!!!!!

bomb.gif

Ok... I'm done... for now... I guess.
soapbox.gif

soapbox.gif

Um...How about they just put up some guardrails? Oh and Tell Johny's Mom that while I feel for her loss...she can kiss my ass...Yeah Lady it's the road's friggen fault.

Come on Folks, More Darwinism in action...lets improve the species...

That sucks. When Oscar and I ran that, it had just reopen and was sweeeeeet! The road wasted my tires after multiple high-speed passes. What a great loss, I loved that road!!!

bomb.gif

I agree, what a bunch of poop! all it took was one 17 yr old to kill himself and one truck to roll down the mountain and all the sudden there is a crackdown prosocuting and impounding the vehicle of anyone that breaks the law on that road? WTF! the headlights went out on a 2002? how did the 17 yr old meet his fate? was he even breaking the law? its cagers crashing yet they are going to crackdown on bikes. I would post this notice on a road sign before entering so EVERYONE is aware of what is going on, what a crock! some unsuspecting tourist or backpacker that happens to be speeding on that road is going to get towed and prosocuted because of juvinilles that cant drive? WAY TO GO MOM! give your son the keys before educating him then blame it on everyone else! F*CK OFF!

another thing that chaps my hide about this is the media once again trying to smear the names of motorcyclelists! "The road begins in Glendora and ends at East Fork Road in the Angeles National Forest and has more than 100 hairpin curves but no guardrails. It is a favorite of motorcyclists, car enthusiasts and bicyclists." F*KKing PUKES!!! in some foul way the media is trying to implicate motorbikes with the death of a 17 yr old and a SUV load of teens!!! motorcycles in no way needed to be mentioned here? has anyone died on a bike? has a bike caused an accident? are teenagers riding bikes on the road? but the media has found it fit to mention the death of a teen and a motorcycle in the same breath! I am surprised they didnt come right out and say sportbikes.... PUKES! get a real job!

that is a beautful peice of road. I would ride that peice of tarmac anyday. Thay should keep the road open and let people do what thay want.

hey lets close all major freeways and highways in america!
kids and grown people die on those roads all day.

once agian the communist state of california has struck a blow to the people of cailfornia.

im sorry for all u peoplez down south.

good luck.

hey lets close all major freeways and highways in america!
kids and grown people die on those roads all day.

once agian the communist state of california has struck a blow to the people of cailfornia.

im sorry for all u peoplez down south.

good luck.
Maybe we can get Herr Gropenfurrer to do something about this.

yea:laugh:

annooollldd
u need to listen to the people!
laugh.gif

he does ride a hardly
and i bet money he has been on that road with his HOG

I bet Herr Gropenfuhrer (excellent!)
hasn't been on that road at all...or anything twistier than PCH in LA County. (twisty it's not)

People do get hurt and die on this stretch of road. When our group rode that road there was a spot with blood on the road from a motorcycle crash. The week before that someone died when he crossed the line and his bike hit the front of a Sherrif's car. BUT...

A crackdown like this for this reason is all wrong I think. How long will it last? Not very long. People will stop going there and there won't be any justification to patrol so heavily.

i think their crackdown is gonna be more so on the weekends when its more traveled.. if u ride it during the weekday u MAY encounter 2 other vehicles on it.. and u can always bet u will see parts of motorcycles laying alongside the road and skid marks into the dirt then the site of impact. but yeah its one helluva road to ride.. not for the novice rider or the faint of heart...

Back